Question regarding DIY backgrounds\hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

john6six

My daughter and I are building an enclosure for her future BD. I would like to create the background and accessories with the polystyrene and grout methods I see here and on youtube. My question is, once these are built and coated, could they serve as a basking platform or would being directly under the basking lamp be too hot for the structure?

Thanks in advance.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I used one as a basking for about a year with no problems. Polystyrene is a pretty strong material, and isn't so sensitive to heat; it doesn't melt/soften until over 200F. The grout basically becomes a thin shell of stone and pretty durable if you get it on right.

I use the foam board insulation for many projects, and so far the only things that really cause a problem are my glue gun when it's set to high temp, and superglue which dissolves the foam.

john6six

Original Poster
Thanks. We were discussing the theme and the basking area is an extension of that and might not look right if we had to make that from a different material.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I would recommend that any part used as a basking or climbing furniture be easily removable. Poop can hard to get off.
Mine was sealed, and I could take it outside and spray it off with the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom