question on hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazmybd

hi all, was just wanting to know about feeding my dragon 3in hornworms, because my dragon is only about 12in, i ordered the worms a week ago and when i got them they were only about an 1in long, and now have growen to 3 to 4 in, so big so fast and i have 10 left at this size, i have feed him 2 already that were about 3 to 4in and he ate them, i asked somebody at my local pet shop if it we be ok to feed him hornworms at this size and they said it would be fine to feed them to him because they are soft and easy for them to digest, just wanted to make sure there were no risks of impaction or anything else, he is still pooing on a regular basis, so i dont think that impaction is a worry, just wanted to make sure that there are no other dangers that i have to worry about before i feed the rest of them to him. thank you

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
they are soft bodied worms and really can't cause impaction (like silkies) i'm sure you'll be ok! check with one and see how it goes. if not, you could always chop em in half!

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I tried that once, and then Kwayze didn't even eat it and I felt so guilty ...especially after crickets went after it :oops: . My beardie seemed afraid of the really big ones but would eat the smaller ones. I don't blame her; those little buggers bite!

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
ashesc212":838e1 said:
I tried that once, and then Kwayze didn't even eat it and I felt so guilty ...especially after crickets went after it :oops: . My beardie seemed afraid of the really big ones but would eat the smaller ones. I don't blame her; those little buggers bite!

the hornworms bite? or the crix? i didn't think the horns did

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, thats the biggest problem I find with hornworms...they grow so darn fast!! Thats why I always order the size small, because it seems like they are 3" long in no time!! They should be fine for your beardie to eat. Just let him eat one, and then see how he responds to it. If he has BM's ok and he seems ok, then they are great! Hornworms are my favorite feeder to feed my beardies :)

tazmybd

Original Poster
he has already eatin a couple of the big one's, and he handled them fine, beside's for making a mess with them as he chomped on one and continued to chomp and get hornworm juice everywhere in his viv and not to mention his face was covered in hornworm juice lol, had to take him out and clean his face with a couple of paertowels when he was done, just like i do with m 3yr old when he's done eating

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
nesta's mommy":c4bf9 said:
ashesc212":c4bf9 said:

the hornworms bite? or the crix? i didn't think the horns did

They both do. I learned that the hard way...I was bitten, my bf was as well, and then my Kwayze girl. They don't seem to bite until they are big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom