Question about t8 vs t5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lester is currently in a 55 gallon aquarium but I'm moving him to a 40 gallon breeder soon so he can have more floor space. He can't walk due to MBD--he's a rescue & he's slowly but surely inching toward good health--so he can't climb:(

I currently have a 24"t8 Reptisun 10.0 in one of those blacklight fixtures from Walmart mounted inside his tank, right under the top, & in the back. I saw on here that the t5 is considered better but how much better is it really? If I change to a t5, should I mount it inside the tank or on top of the mesh screen? Whichever bulb I use, should I keep it mounted in the rear or would diagonal across the tank?

Thank you guys for your help :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Since climbing is not a good option for him at the moment, I would go with the T5 HO because of the UVB saturation distance it provides. Good UVB is going to be something he DESPERATELY needs to get him through this. The T8 has to be within 8" of his basking spot to do him any type of good at all. On the other hand the T5HO needs only to be between 10" and, 16". It is your choice!!!

reereejugs

Original Poster
Thank you! His t8 fixture is currently mounted around 6 inches from his basking spot, which I've been putting him on throughout the day. I'm gonna go with a t5 because I want lil dude to get better--he's my baby. Should I still mount inside or can the t5 go on top of the screen? Is too much UVB a thing? Can I use the t5 along with the t8 I already have?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Mount it inside , not on the back wall though , on the ceiling - halfway between back and front. That way it’s directly over him. Put it as far into the warm end as possible and I’d get a t5 10% or t5 12% ( depending on where you are on the brand you can get). They are best at 12 inches away to from basking spot. If he cannot climb though to a basking spot 12” away from the t5 then try and get the Arcadia t5 14% if you can get that one as that one is best 14” away so better for him if his basking spot has to be at the ground level of his viv on a rock or something

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
CooperDragon":hdrqqgqv said:
That's a good fixture but it comes with a 5.0 bulb which is similar to a T8 in output (6-8''). I suggest buying either a 10.0 or Arcadia 12% bulb for it for best results. http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

I take this back. It looks like the specific package in your link comes with 10.0 bulbs! That should have what you need and should sit about 10-12'' above the basking area if shining through a mesh top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom