Question about Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1tched

I went to a pet store's beardie care class held by a guy who's been there forever and breeds beardies. He told me he doesn't use crickets, cause they're loud, maintenance/pet store trips, escapies, removal if not eaten and so on. He says he only uses superworms.....I started to feed mine with supers this week and he's had chunks of the worm skeletons in his is poop and it's been pretty liquidy too. Do you think I should continue with the supers or go back to crickets?........also when is to young to feed them supers? i would say he's about 10-11 inches head to tail. I got REALLY sick of crickets and going to the pet store ever 2 days, because i am not going to breed feeder crickets. I know i have to raise his temp on his basking rock, it gets 95-100 here and there. but i have uvb/a bulbs........

so are supers ok for him to eat? i think he is 4-5 months old.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
It doesn't sound like the supers are sitting well with him, plus he's too small for them. The general guideline is that a dragon should be 16 inches long before starting on superworms, although some have done well at about 14 inches long. Either way your guy is still pretty young and small for them. Some pieces of shell in the poo are normal but you shouldn't see big chunks of worm coming through - that's telling you that he's not digesting them properly. The low basking temps aren't helping either.

I can't blame you for not wanting to deal with crickets anymore, but there are other bugs that are more appropriate for your dragon's age and size. Pheonix worms, silkworms, butter worms, and horn worms are all good options for his diet. Roaches are another great one - easy to breed, easy to keep, and they don't have the same problems that come with crickets. If you're looking for an economic feeder, roaches are probably your best bet. You can find a lot of info about the breeding and keeping of the different types on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom