Question about stunted/small beardies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

namrufmot

Hatchling Member
I adopted a stunted beardie for my classroom last year. He was (or so they said) two years old, he weighed 129g, and from nose to butt measured only 8". Apparently all he ever ate was crickets and never had UVB.

Last year we stuffed him like mad, slapped him in UVB lights (I even had kids take him out to bask in the sun at recess for some natural UVB!). Now he is 275g and is about 8 3/4" long. We have him in a sweet 55g tank that is perfect for a beardie his size.

Now, god forbid, if anything happens to Ramses I'd like to get a similar sized beardie. Are there smaller breeds out there? A monster beardie wouldnt fit in my 55g tank!

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
55 Gallons are 48x12 correct? I don't know of any small breeds of bearded dragons. You might want to look into something like a leopard gecko or something like that. A 40 Breeder is 36x18 and that is the min for an adult bearded dragon.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
I don't know the dimensions I remember people saying on here 55 was fine personally I would never use a min. Tank and I have my dragon in a 120.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
midmichicer":20h1rco1 said:
55 Gallons are 48x12 correct? I don't know of any small breeds of bearded dragons. You might want to look into something like a leopard gecko or something like that. A 40 Breeder is 36x18 and that is the min for an adult bearded dragon.

leos are nocturnal. So it would be a boring classroom pet for the kids.

namrufmot

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Trust me the 55g tank is a HUGE tank for Ramses - since he's stunted. Percentage wise, the tank is wider for him than a normal sized beardie in a 40g breeder.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Everyone is suggesting get a leopard gecko... have we forgotten about rankin dragons? I think they only get to 10-14 inches.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
Which according to those measurements would be to big for a 55 gallon. If it can't turn around comfortably it shouldn't be housed in it. I had my dragon in a 40 breeder, she is only 17 and I found I didn't like how hard it was for her to turn around comfortably so I upgraded to a 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom