Question about size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie boy is 7.5 months old. He is 18 inches and 431 grams. Does this sound too heavy? He looks chubby but nothing major. No belly drag etc. He eats salad daily and maximum of 30 bugs (mixed variety of worms). Usually more like 15 to 20 bugs and he's full. I just don't wanna let my boy get too fat. Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....he is in the acceptable weight range since he's still young + growing but is on the upper end of it. As he approaches the 1 year old mark you can really slow down on the feeders and keep offering more veggies. It's good that you asked about this because our pets are falling victim to the same problem as people in this country, being over fed and becoming overweight, in many cases the owners think they are the right size but they are too heavy.

Post a pic of him if you like, I'm sure he's a handsome boy. :)

TAMMARAHOSKINS

Original Poster
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. As an obese person myself, I'm very very cautious with my kids and pets because I know how it feels! Here's a couple pics!
81010-8968934132.jpg

quote="AHBD"]Hi there....he is in the acceptable weight range since he's still young + growing but is on the upper end of it. As he approaches the 1 year old mark you can really slow down on the feeders and keep offering more veggies. It's good that you asked about this because our pets are falling victim to the same problem as people in this country, being over fed and becoming overweight, in many cases the owners think they are the right size but they are too heavy.

Post a pic of him if you like, I'm sure he's a handsome boy. :)[/quote]
81010-5803384767.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My two were that weight at 1 year old.

He's stunning .... wonderful colouring.

He looks very well fed , so long as he is pooing regularly and is active and healthy. What kinds of worms is he getting as staple prey insects - I ask as some are better than others.

TAMMARAHOSKINS

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2myk2kvg said:
My two were that weight at 1 year old.

He's stunning .... wonderful colouring.

He looks very well fed , so long as he is pooing regularly and is active and healthy. What kinds of worms is he getting as staple prey insects - I ask as some are better than others.

Thank you! He had normal daily bowel movements and loves to run around my house lol. He currently has butterworms, wax worms, silk worms, super worms, and phoenix worms. The wax worms he gets only like 1 per day cause I know they're to be fed as a treat. Same with the butters.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, he looks great albeit just a tad chunky. :) Your son looks very slim+ healthy himself, not to mention a handsome fellow.

TAMMARAHOSKINS

Original Poster
AHBD":3vmxcf7d said:
Yes, he looks great albeit just a tad chunky. :) Your son looks very slim+ healthy himself, not to mention a handsome fellow.

Thank you. I have 2 sons and both are very slim and healthy. Any recommendations on debulking my chubby dragon? Lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His diet sounds about right, just decrease the amount of bugs by a few, nothing major because he is still growing. You are fortunate because he enjoys his salad so let him fill up on the good greens....turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugula and various squashes are all good choices. In a few months you can start offering the bugs every other day or just reduce the amount daily to a smaller amount.

TAMMARAHOSKINS

Original Poster
AHBD":27nim4fi said:
His diet sounds about right, just decrease the amount of bugs by a few, nothing major because he is still growing. You are fortunate because he enjoys his salad so let him fill up on the good greens....turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugula and various squashes are all good choices. In a few months you can start offering the bugs every other day or just reduce the amount daily to a smaller amount.
He gets collards daily. Those are his fave. Then I add something else greens wise with it. Mustard greens, kale and bok choy (once a week or so). I'm trying to find other fruits and veggies he likes but he'll only eat greens, cilantro, parsley. He refuses all fruit and any colored veggies (squashes, peppers, etc).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's getting quite a bit of good stuff then, 2-3 types of greens a day is fine. My dragons enjoy a few things from my yard too....green leaf clover and a few shredded mulberry leaves in their salads. If you have access to those you can try them.

TAMMARAHOSKINS

Original Poster
AHBD":1a6gpdq9 said:
He's getting quite a bit of good stuff then, 2-3 types of greens a day is fine. My dragons enjoy a few things from my yard too....green leaf clover and a few shredded mulberry leaves in their salads. If you have access to those you can try them.
I do have clover. I'll give that a try!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TAMMARAHOSKINS":23fwhbzt said:
AHBD":23fwhbzt said:
He gets collards daily. Those are his fave. Then I add something else greens wise with it. Mustard greens, kale and bok choy (once a week or so). I'm trying to find other fruits and veggies he likes but he'll only eat greens, cilantro, parsley. He refuses all fruit and any colored veggies (squashes, peppers, etc).

Never occurred to me to offer mulberry greens.

My beardies and bluetongues love puk / buk choi greens , dandelion greens & flowers and seed pods go down a treat too.

Like already said, let him enjoy his yummies while he's still growing.

Good day people,i have read your posts and im somewhat alarmed!I have had my two dragons for about 2 weeks now,bought them from people who when i got there only had a normal household lamp globe in the enclosure and the dragons were not moving around at all,seemed very lazy like you know?Well,being a Googlemaniac,i Googled all sorts of things and bought the right globes and food etc.They are doing much better,very lively,good appetites etc.The one female(discovered yesterday using this site that i do have two females),the previous owners told me was injured by the other one,leaving a small section of her tail missing and the one foot doesnt have all its claws,now i for one dont really believe that story since the incorrect lighting and that sort of thing can lead to loss of limbs due to bone issues,i think.I just weighed the two of them,one is about 100g,and the other 120g,this sounds terrible to me if i read what yours weighs,theyre both about 13 inches long.I really need some help to get their weight up if i have to.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Georgie2015":3ird7ng7 said:
Good day people,i have read your posts and im somewhat alarmed!I have had my two dragons for about 2 weeks now,bought them from people who when i got there only had a normal household lamp globe in the enclosure and the dragons were not moving around at all,seemed very lazy like you know?Well,being a Googlemaniac,i Googled all sorts of things and bought the right globes and food etc.They are doing much better,very lively,good appetites etc.The one female(discovered yesterday using this site that i do have two females),the previous owners told me was injured by the other one,leaving a small section of her tail missing and the one foot doesnt have all its claws,now i for one dont really believe that story since the incorrect lighting and that sort of thing can lead to loss of limbs due to bone issues,i think.I just weighed the two of them,one is about 100g,and the other 120g,this sounds terrible to me if i read what yours weighs,theyre both about 13 inches long.I really need some help to get their weight up if i have to.

How old are they ?

Are they still housed together ? How large is the enclosure (LxWxH in inches) ?

if toe nipping and tail docking has happened it likely happened when housed together with lots of siblings (hatchies are voracious feeders and if it wriggles or moves it gets tried as it might be food - so toes, nails, tips of tails are often bitten off by other hatchies) .

They are prob fine toether if both Jennys (I have heard of people housing 2 adult female together without issues but they had to make concessions - more hides, more feeding stations, multiple basking spots, larger enclosure ), but I'd look into separating them (separate tanks) as the bigger is getting the lion's share of everything and will dominating her smaller sibling (even if it's very subtile).
Both will thrive even more if they have their own private tanks. Unlike Rankins , Centrals are not social and do better if housed separately , only sharing enclosures at breeding time.

I separated my 2 (a boy and a girl) at about 6-7 months old when I observed obvious dominance behaviours.

The enclosure is 1m long x 1/2m wide x 65cm tall,sorry,we don't use inches here.They seem to be doing ok together in the tank,although i also observed dominance behaviour by both,but they sit together under the heat light and don't really fight.I don't give them food in the way that i put the bowl of worms in the tank and everyone must fend for themselves,if i see one is getting less,i make sure i get a few more for the one that didn't get as much.The veggies are always in the tank,so they do both get turns to eat.One is slightly bigger then the other though,but that's not a bad thing i recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom