Question about my basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to take a look at my question :D
I have a 7month old beardie that loves to lay on her hammock and bask. I just moved her out of a 30gal to a 40gal breeder tank.. she loves the extra space but im concerned about the temp. the only heat source i have in her tank is a 100watt basking light. I have a temp gun but i dont think im getting an accurate reading because when i hit the hammock with the temp gun it reads 95 plus but when i temp the bulb itself it's way over 300. I hope u guys understand what im saying. Should i lower the wattage basking and add on another heat source? cause besides the basking area, the tank now that it's a bit cooler out is only around 77 degrees during the day. I hope someone can help me cause im a beginner and want to make sure im providing her with the best care. Thanks again for checkin us out :blob8:

john_ny217

Juvie Member
i wouldnt really use a hammock as a basking area. for one if it is one of those plastic ones it can really heat up and possibly melt. i think its probably alot hotter than 95 but the temp gun is having trouble measuring the actualy temp because of the material it is made of. try using a rock or something with your heat lamp to get an accurate temp then if it still reads 95 then you know to either lower the light closer to the basking area, or get a higher wattage bulb.

good luck

beardielovah11103

Original Poster
Thanks for giving me some advice! yea the hammock is probably not the best thing to use as a basking area :banghead: it's not plastic though, thank god...it's more like a mesh material. Ok so im going to try what you suggested..now i shouldnt need to get one of those day/night heat lamps? the main basking light should heat it fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom