Question about Infrared Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
My beardie, Melody has a respiratory infection she's fighting at the time and I've got a 75 watt infrared light on her to keep her warm. However, the thing is, it's heating up the blanket she's sleeping under, to block the light, hot as in 'basking light hot' of 93 instead of 80-86. (I don't have a CHE right now because it broke at the screw part every time I ran a new one and am going to one as soon as I'm paid and can order from Petmountain.)

What are your suggestions to resolve this issue? I've got to keep her warm.

Melody's sleeping on an old foam pillow I gave her. I elevated the pillow so she's not sleeping flat as she usually does. It's just until she's well again to sleep flat and it seems to give her relief from sneezing five or six times in the morning. (I know I'm treating her like a child, but I'm thinking of all the times I had congestion and slept flat, I was miserable.) And she seems okay with it. She doesn't attempt to move or anything.

kinglouis

I am assuming your using this infrared light at night? I wouldn't recommend using and infrared because beardies can see this light and it will keep them up, so I would switch that to a CHE as soon as you can. Your going to want to adjust the height on it to bring the temp. down to mid 70's. What kind of substrate are using in her cage? and what kind of thermometers are you using, a digital with a probe? or a stick/dial thermometer?

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kinglouis":pa95fv0f said:
I am assuming your using this infrared light at night? I wouldn't recommend using and infrared because beardies can see this light and it will keep them up, so I would switch that to a CHE as soon as you can. Your going to want to adjust the height on it to bring the temp. down to mid 70's. What kind of substrate are using in her cage? and what kind of thermometers are you using, a digital with a probe? or a stick/dial thermometer?

Infrared light's on at night, but Melody's covered with a dark blanket that blocks the light. I'm going to get a CHE as soon as possible. I've got thermometer with a probe and it's digital. Substrate's paper towels.

kinglouis

I would recommend getting a lamp stand, I use one I find it helpful for getting the temperature to what you want. You can find them at most pet stores, and I am sure you can order it online too. Another option is connecting it to a light dimmer, and you can lower the temp. that way.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kinglouis":k7oz0kua said:
I would recommend getting a lamp stand, I use one I find it helpful for getting the temperature to what you want. You can find them at most pet stores, and I am sure you can order it online too. Another option is connecting it to a light dimmer, and you can lower the temp. that way.

Okay. I'll look into it and see if my local petshop has one. I'm not sure if they've got one because they just started carrying reptile products.

kinglouis

Well if they don't carry a stand, you can find a light dimmer at Walmart, lowes, Home Depot, or any of those kinds of places. And that should do the trick. Hope Melody gets well soon!

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kinglouis":2zhtgz59 said:
Well if they don't carry a stand, you can find a light dimmer at Walmart, lowes, Home Depot, or any of those kinds of places. And that should do the trick. Hope Melody gets well soon!

Thanks. She's a lot better now. It's cleared up on it's own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom