Question about escaping corns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be purchasing a corn snake next weekend(hopefully :D ) at the Kansas City herp show. I currently have a 10 gal tank that I will be using until the snake is approx. 2 ft long or I save enough money for the new tank/heater. I have a rock that weighs about 5 lbs. When I try to pull up on the corners of the screen lid, it takes a little bit of strength to lift(if I only use one or two fingers). I tried getting cage clips, but they were too big. Do you think that this will e enough to keep the corn in the tank for a while? Im assuming that a baby would barely be able to reach the screen, much less push the corner up and lift itself out.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I got a baby last weekend, and she can reach the top of a 10 gallon. In fact, the very first morning she was home, we found her hiding under the lid, along the lip of the rim... I still don't know how she slinked her way up there.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I ended up buying a cage with a sliding lid. Salvador could get up and outta a standard 10 in no time flat. You might consider getting a plastic tub and drilling small holes in the side and top.

The thing is baby corns don't have to lift, they just have to squish and wiggle. And they are exceptionally good at those things.

GutterShark

Original Poster
Someone said something about lining the top with aquarium air tubing? Could I do this + some heavy stuff on top? What about using some clear caulk on the edges? I really am trying to avoid having to by another tank at this point. I mean I know I could escape proof this tank. I could make it air-tight (With the exception of the screen lid of course :wink: )

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
If you know you can escape proof it, then go ahead and do it. I've never tried, so I wouldn't vouch one way or the other :D . Hope I didn't offend, just sharing my experience. I just wanted to point that while I had previously thought of it as a matter of the snake pushing, my first corn quickly taught me, it was about the tiny wriggle space. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom