Q's: Heating, UVB, and more - HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I know there are other posts concerning some of these issues, but I don't always like asking my own questions in someone elses posts too much because it kinda feels like I am stealing their post. I also know I have asked similar questions in the past, but obviously with my re-asking there is cause for concern.

My Spike is in a 55g. I have a screen top with 150W heat bulb and the 10 UVb light. I also have two digital thermometers - one on the hot side and one on the cool. It just doesn't seem to be getting hot enough. The last few days, the hot side has gotten to 76 at its hottest. I went through this issue before and thought it was fixed, but obviously with it getting cooler due to the seasons I may just have to re-do his lighting. I can't find anything higher than a 150W, so what am I supposed to do? It has been suggested here that heat pads don't work all that well, and the ones I have on my Dubias I have noticed the tank glass gets really hot. Does putting a heat pad on the side of a tank really help with the heat inside? I have been keeping a red night light on in the day time as well as the day time light just for extra heat, but it still doesn't seem to be getting too hot.
Like I said I have screen top, and much of the talk here is that the UVB needs to be as close as possble, and at the most about 10 inches away. Well, with the 55g it is about 18-20 inches away. I have been trying to come up with an idea on how to hang it on the inside closer to him, but with a 55g, screen top, and other light fixtures it is already some what of a pain every time I want to get inside his habitat. I am considering building him pretty much a personalized habitat from some different ones on here and my own ideas. But, this is going to take some time and money - what do I do until then?
He seems to be overall healthy. Other than ALOT of sleeping, which I believe to be due part from the heat, UVB, and from brumation as he has also lost his appetite for the most part.

The last couple of days I have gotten him out he has just seemed so cold!! I end up just wrapping him up in a blanket against me, but I of course can't do this constantly.

I have outside carpet at the bottom of the tank now. If I use a heat pad do you think this will do harm or burn the carpet?

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of digital thermometers are you using, do they have a wire with a probe at the end of them, or are they stick on types? Can you post a picture of your thermometers for us? Have you changed the batteries in them? Sometimes, the batteries do go bad & wont read correctly. The basking of 76 is totally out of the realm. He will sleep all of the time, wont eat, or if he did eat anything, he could not digest his food.
Also, do not use any red lights during the daytime or the nighttime, either. The colored lights are not good for them during the day because they are not bright enough to stimulate activity. At nighttime, they can see that light spectrum, so it can disturb their sleeping pattern.
You do need to find a way of getting that UVB light to 6-8 inches of him. How old is your UVB light, is it a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube light?
The 150watt basking light should be sufficient wattage though, to heat up the enclosure. How far away is the basking light?
Can you post a picture of your enclosure for us? The screen will filter out alot of the UVB, but at 18-20 inches, he is hardly getting any UVB's at all, especially with the screen.
No, heating pads do not need to be used on the bottom or the side of the tank, it will over heat them.

Tracie

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here are some pics of my Spike's abode...

Straight on full shot:

2979540312_1f21904c01_o.jpg

Downward shot showing lights:

2978683155_4169db5c8c_o.jpg

Left side, showing where placement of thermometer:

2979540412_9cffd94895_o.jpg

Shows placement of probe - upper left of Spikes head:

2979540358_e509cca999.jpg

This one shows the temp at 79.9*:

2978682951_8d427cd2bb.jpg

And here is the right side:

2979540536_956bf9847b_o.jpg

As you saw I have the lights kinda piling up. I just want to try to add as much heat as possible. It was doing so good for a while 90 and up and now it stays in the 70's. I am eventually just going to build one to my own specifications that way he will have tons of room, but yet the heat will be right where it needs to be.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
to me it looks like your measuring air temp, not the basking surface with the probe. & to lower your uvb fixture , you could use metal coat hanger, cut it, bend to suit your needs w/hook on 1 end, attach bent peices to fixture and hang hooks over the edge of viv, screen top should still attach properly. or you can use small "jack" chain like this
DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

just another idea on how to lower dome fixtures, requires a small hole in the screen top
DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0048-1.jpg

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Awesome advice on different ways to hang the lights!! Thanks so much LQ!

Yea, I haven't placed the probe on the actual place where he basks. I have moved it around though and always try to place it in an area that isn't exactly on it, but around it to where I can get an overall idea of the temp. No matter where I place it, the temp doesn't change too much, and never gets above 90 like it used to. You think even placeing the probe even right next to where he lays (on the glass) would make that much difference? It is literally only about an inch or two tops away from where he basks.
Also, If I were to place the heating light inside the screen like that, you think I will prolly have to lower his basking height a bit? If you look at the pics above (well I hope it shows), but there isn't much more room if I live it the way it is. I don't want him to then get burnt.

I am eventually going to just build one for him. Something that gives a bit more roaming space then this, and lower so the heat will be more correct. I have alot of ideas and questions for this upcoming kings castle I have in my head, but I will post all that later in a different thread and when I have more time to break down all my ideas and my q's. Anymore advice? You can never have too little advice or education!!

LQDragons

Juvie Member
before you lower the basking light, try a halogen type lamp, get the highest wattage you can. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom