Put Two Beardies in the Same Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samleo

No problem. I am just sharing what I do with mine. It is my opinion. And I never paid thousands for the care of babies. I do sell them before six weeks because they are half german giant. They do grow faster and by three weeks they are 7 inches and ready for new homes. I do love and care for my beardies. I do not need people to tell my I am wrong or stupid to think that nothing with happen to him or her in the future. Anything is possible.

lizardman95

Hatchling Member
thak you i dont think itll cost thousands of dollars they r over thinking and spending way 2 much money and thank you 4 sayin im noit stupid 4 it haha

AndyT

Juvie Member
Lizardman, no one is calling you stupid. We are just trying to tell you about all the responsibility you will be taking on. Samleo, you said it yourself, maybe you're just lucky. We are just trying to get across the point that it is a dangerous game to play around with breeding and multiple housing. Your luck will not be the case for all people. Every week there are people coming on here about their injured beardies saying "how could this happen?, they were good friends". Just because your beardies get along does not mean that anyone else's will, and the bad experiences far outweigh the good. In any case, good luck to you both. Your descisions are your own.

Andy

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
TO SAMLEO:

It definitely sounds as if you have it together when breeding your two, and that you're being very responsible, by being very picky about who you allow to purchase the babies that they produce. Also, I think that its commendable that you plan to separate them shortly to live out their lives in their own tanks, rather than continuing to allow him to breed her every year, until she's worn out.

Unfortunately (and this comment is not directed at anyone in particular, or anyone who has posted on this thread) many people just allow them to breed indiscriminately, without being prepared to care properly for the babies, or having the money to provide the little ones with adequate food, and the other things that they need to become healthy adults. Also many "back yard breeders" get themselves into this without knowing what they're doing, as far as what is necessary to raise healthy babies, and, when the time comes for the babies to be placed in new homes, they find that there are no private parties who will buy them, and since they don't have the resources to keep all of the babies themselves, they end up in Pet Shops who have no idea how to care for them until they're sold, and, as long as the babies make money for them, they have no desire to learn.

This is a very real tragedy for the babies that some people allow their beardies to produce, and it was very refreshing to hear from someone who actually cares enough to make sure that their babies are placed in good homes, with people who will love them and take proper care of them.

Congratulations on your ethics in screening the people who are interested in purchasing your babies, to make sure that they only go to good homes, with people who will love them and take proper care of them. If there were more people like you, perhaps there wouldn't be so many babies who end up unhealthy and ignored by people who don't know any better!

I, personally, would never breed mine, as I don't have the space, the time, or the money to do it properly, and I'm intelligent enough to know it, but I don't have a problem with anyone who educates themselves prior to breeding, and does it responsibly. Hats off to you for being one of those people!

I am picking up my two new beardies tomorrow, they are also my first beardies. These are a rescue situation, long story short, they were left in a shoebox on a vets doorstep. Vet called local exotics pet store I purchased my leopard gecko from and asked them to take them in. I have been looking for a beardie for about 3 months and so when I heard about them I immediately told the owner I would adopt them. We have no idea on age, conditions, etc. But they were in the box together and have been housed together for a week at the pet store, so I am planning on keeping them together in a 55 gallon long viv. They have their vet visit on Tuesday so we can try and see if they are in good health, which we are concerned about their past eating habits, but I digress. If they were together for Lord knows how long in a shoebox, and then kept together in the store without any problems. I don't forsee any issues with them in the future, any thoughts or opinons?

AndyT

Juvie Member
Its great that you're taking these beardies into your home. Now, here for the obvious problem to address. Its a bad idea to keep two in the same tank. People never foresee any problems, then one day they come on here asking "what happened". It is a bad idea, especially if they are both in bad condition. They will be vying for food and basking privileges. A 55 gallon is barely even big enough for one beardie. There is such a long list of problems here, here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=130520 . Do you have all the supplies you need? Are you ready to bring them back to health? Good luck.

lizardman95

Hatchling Member
there is nothing wrong with keeping 2 beardies n the same tank especially if they hav been 2 gether 4 a while. aqnd a 55 is enough space 4 r2 beardies i hav @ n a 40 breeder and i hav not had any problems with them

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
lizardman95":3b51njkj said:
there is nothing wrong with keeping 2 beardies n the same tank especially if they hav been 2 gether 4 a while. aqnd a 55 is enough space 4 r2 beardies i hav @ n a 40 breeder and i hav not had any problems with them

A 55 Gallon has less floor space than a 40 Gallon Breeder and the main issue is that 55 Gallons are only 13" wide, whereas a full grown bearded dragon can be 22" or more. It can be challenging for them to try to turn around in such a narrow space. The minimum recommended width for a bearded dragon viv is 18". So even for one bearded dragon, a 55 gallon is less than ideal. For two to be housed together, which is definitely not recommended by the majority of people here, you should really try to have two basking areas and hides, so they do not have to compete for space. That will require a larger enclosure, as you still need to have a warm side and a cool side, just like normal.

rclay

i didn't see this suggested but if you are curious about putting two together then test it safely
ie: hold one on each side of the glass so they can't actually attack each other and see if they get angry

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
rclay":60yae46h said:
i didn't see this suggested but if you are curious about putting two together then test it safely
ie: hold one on each side of the glass so they can't actually attack each other and see if they get angry

The problem with that is, there's no way to know if they will get along permanently. I have read countless stories from people who had two dragons in the same tank for months or even years and "seemingly" got along fine, only to come home one day and find one dragon maimed or dead.

AndyT":7ej5jojg said:
Its great that you're taking these beardies into your home. Now, here for the obvious problem to address. Its a bad idea to keep two in the same tank. People never foresee any problems, then one day they come on here asking "what happened". It is a bad idea, especially if they are both in bad condition. They will be vying for food and basking privileges. A 55 gallon is barely even big enough for one beardie. There is such a long list of problems here, here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=130520 . Do you have all the supplies you need? Are you ready to bring them back to health? Good luck.

I have all the supplies ready, and vet appointment is all set for Tuesday. They seem to be in ok health, just not certain of their diets. They have been kept under observation for over a week at the store and only issue they have is that they may have been fed a diet of pinkies or crickets only, few or no greens, so we they have been addresing that a lot all week by offering them primarily greens, which seems to be working. Wll know more Tuesday after vet visit and let you know.

lizardman95

Hatchling Member
umm andy t im mispelling words on purpose and did not ask 4 u 2 get smart with me i said an opinion not an idea.so next time dont get smart with me 4 no reason plz. ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom