Pudgy's eye...Has this happened to you? I feel so bad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Sorry this might get long.

The other night I noticed Pudgy's left eye was half closed. I, of course, freaked out. Everything is normal, no changes in her diet or terrarium. She's eating the same (picky as she ever is) and she is still very active. No changes her in behavior.

So I called our local Pet Store (not a chain, it is run by a man who has been breeding beardies for 20+ years and employs herp experts). The guy I spoke with told me to just calm down and bring her in. I brought her in and he looked at her and so did the pet store owner. They both told me that she looks totally fine, that if it were Vitamin A deficiency that both her eyes would be closed. She looks entirely healthy and she probably scratched her eye or got a piece of sand in it. They gave her an antibiotic drop and told me if it changes and she gets red, or any pus to take her to vet immediately. They both insisted she looks totally fine and told me not to worry so much.

Of course, that wasn't good enough...so I called my vet (who thank goodness is open on Saturdays). The vet said she's probably just fine and that beardies are hearty (also what pet store people said) and she probably got a little cut. Upon further examination, it looks like she may have cut her little bottom eyelid.

So we're going on day three (I noticed this very late Friday night, Friday day she was fine). Her little eye is still half shut. UGH I hate this. Has this happened to anyone? I'm including pictures below.

Any advice? I gave her a soak and she just sort of closed her eyes and drifted off, then pooped LOL. She seemed like she may have had a little impactation? It seemed there was a TINY bit of blood and the white part was pink. The rest was green like normal. That is the only thing that is different.

At her five year check up (last fall) her bloodwork and x-rays were fine. Clean feces, etc. How long do you think it'll take her eye to heal? How long to do I just wait it out? She seems totally fine, but that poor little eye. :(

Normal eye...on her right side
5901901886_f5a21e46dc.jpg

Her left eye

5901900880_d817be26b6.jpg

5901339199_09dc708d59.jpg

Looking at her head on
5901904132_a05e0a1ece.jpg

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
You can try flushing her eye with some sterile saline, make sure there nothing in there, give it a few more days, as long as there is no puss or no redness I would assume she will be fine,

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I haven't really touched it. Should I try to open her eye to see if something is in it? I am afraid of being too rough. Off to the store right now for sterile saline. Oh my. . . this is gonna be interesting. Shopping at the grocery store on 4th of July. I'll be the only one with two items or less.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She goes to the vet at 5pm today. I noticed her lip also looks off. I'll come back and report. I hope my baby is ok. I am so worried!!! :cry:

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ear infection. I have to inject her with antibiotics every three days for thirty days. :(

ridgetail

Just wanted to say hello because I'm the girl you ran into at the vet today on your way out! I had
the beardie sleeping in his towel! I knew that I had seen someone on this forum with a beardie named Pudgy :)

Hope everything gets better for you! My verdict showed everything normal besides a possible spinal problem...fingers crossed things get better for us both!

Take care and hopefully we'll run into each other again!!

-Paige

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Paige! So glad your little guy (although he isn't too little LOL) is doing okay, and I hope that his spinal issues are something that can be remedied or at least that he can live with. It was so cute when he opened his mouth at Pudgy. I call it smiling, although he was asserting his dominance HAHA :p .

If you are on Facebook, I hope you'll "like" Pudgy there and stay in touch with us!

http://www.facebook.com/pudgyandpals

Please keep us updated on your baby's progress!

It was nice to meet you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom