PSA: Severe weather, water and Pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
When we experience severe weather and natural disasters, we mainly concern ourselves with basic needs of ourselves and our pets. When it comes to our pets we worry about food, shelter, and with reptiles heat and uv is one of our major concerns.

But there is one thing that many people overlook that concerns all pets. Severe weather and natural disasters can effect water quality. If there is a boil water order in your area, make sure you take the same precautions recommended for children, elderly and those with compromised immune systems. Only give boiled or bottled waters for drinking and bathing pets during these times. Do not pets drink from puddles outside, the water could be contaminated. I live in a tornado and flood zone, and I've seen many pets get seriously sick and even die from contaminated water over the years.

My heart goes out to all those effected. Stay safe everyone. You'll be in my thoughts.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Good post. It's a great idea to have a big pack of bottled water stowed somewhere in case of emergency. My husband and I got a couple 24 packs or maybe larger for like $3 each at costco.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
*thumbs up*

And just of note, it doesn't even necessarily even take a natural disaster or particularly severe weather - last year, in Jackson, MS (I live in one of the suburbs, and wasn't affected, fortunately), during a spate of particularly cold weather, a bunch of the main water pipes burst. Water was cut off for many people (most businesses downtown as well as schools shut down completely), and many more were under boil water alerts. This went on for about a week. No disaster, just frigid temperatures in a state that doesn't get them very often. Better safe than sorry - we usually keep a bottle or two of water in old milk bottles in the refrigerator, just in case.

As we go through spring, with its very up-and-down weather, this is a great reminder for people. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom