Protien supplement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pm0084

I have an odd question, that is more for curiosity. My dragon seems to love his veggies...more so than crickets and such. He is still very young and about 5.25"-5.50" I got him when he was just over 4" from the pet store. (turned out the store gets there dragons at 1-2 weeks old to sell)

Has anyone ever supplemented your dragons diet with whey protien powder to give an extra boost? I was thinking a few sprinkles on his veggies....any thoughts?

pm0084

Original Poster
The problem is I think my beardie is confussed....He wants about 80% greens and 20% live feeders. I have the exact opposite problem many owners have with very young dragons. I would hate to deny him his salad, but I know he needs more protien...hence the thought of adding a whey protien supplement to the greens. I would really like to try some phoenix worms, but stores near me don't carry them.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Protein is very important at his young age. Try calci-worms (phoenix worms) or order some silkworms or butterworms...Have you tried feeding the crickets one by one with tongs??

Seven65

Juvie Member
I would be hesitant to feed them whey powder, they usually fill that stuff with artificial flavouring and other stuff. Maybe if you can find it in a pure form, I don't know if anyone has ever looked into whether or not it's toxic to them, so unless you can find that out you're better off not even trying it. It's much healthier and more natural to feed your dragon feeder insects.

I had a very hard time getting Nef to eat anything for 3 months or so after getting her, she was very picky and no appetite. What are you using for lighting? I had a Reptiglo 10.0 and after switching to a Reptisun 10.0 there was a world of difference in her appetite within 3 weeks or so of getting it. I understand your problem with not being able to get the feeders you want, phoenix worms were the only thing she would eat for the longest time. I had to order them in special for $28.50 for 100 or send them home on a ferry with friends and family when I was at college on Vancouver island, where they were cheaper, but still $18.50 for 100. It was like that for probably 5 months or so. She slowly started trying other things and now she'll eat anything that moves, except butter worms; she bites them and spits them out, then shakes her head like a wet dog, then gives me the look of death....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshG88
Top Bottom