Problems with Ambient Temperature with my new 4x2x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys, I just built my beardie a brand new 4x2x2 crossfire and needless to say HE LOVES IT!!! I am having one problem though... My basking spot with a 75 watt household bulb is 101 degrees exactly (measured with digital therm) but the ambient cool side is about 86. Granted its 80 in my room, but still. I am thinking its the flood light fixture I bought which does not have the light cover on it. Any idea? Do they sell one that could be universal? You know, that thing that fits over the lamp to direct heat? Thanks so much guys if you have any ideas!

Kajolic

Juvie Member
I had to add an additional bulb into my wooden "Timeless Spirit" design, which is fairly close to the Crossfire, to obtain a healthy ambient temperature on the warm side.

URL to image if interested in looking at it: http://i.imgur.com/GnZKB.jpg

You could use a normal house bulb to produce some ambient heat or, as I did, use a spot/flood light to provide a 2nd/3rd basking spot. Mind you, I am using 45/50 watts, and I think one is a 35watt that use to be closer to a basking spot, and all on dimmer switches to regulate tempperatures.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My problem is more about it being too hot rather than too cold. My cold side is 86 degrees, to me that is much too hot. My basking spot is a toasty 101 which is great but im more concerned about the cool side

xpresean

I also wanted a dome to direct heat and keep the cool side cooler. What I did was purchase a flukers deep dome (the small one) on sale at petsmart for around $12. I then bought a $8 spot light from home depot and took the hardware off it. I used the hardware from the light to grasp around the ceramic base, but disconnected the clamp part from it. I then got locking nuts, a bolt, and two eyes with machine screw ends. The photo below shows the final product. With this set up, I use a 65 watt spot on a in-line dimmer (also from home depot) and my basking area is 104 (I have a 8 week old) while the cool side is 79-81 with 77-78 degree room temperature. I would assume a cooler temp of 95 for an adult might allow for a slightly cooler range. I don't know if this helps, but I love it because the light is solidly attached, and I can redirect it a bit around the hot side of the tank. I took the pic before I screwed the top in place.

lightdome.jpg

xpresean

Thanks! I initially used eyes that had the wood screw on the end because I wanted to avoid going out the back, but it just didn't feel sturdy. I figured I already had wires going out the back so what was the difference. This is cheap and super sturdy. The only con is you basically cannibalize the light clip so you end up with a light dome without a working light clip. Oh well, the beardie is happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom