Probiotic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
After I spent a disgusting amount of money at the vet we figured out that coccidia and worms were to blame for Dawkins' colon prolapsing. We think he was infected by a sick batch of crickets that I ordered. The vet put him on albon and panacur. I know albon can be particularly hard on them and it wipes out all of the good bacteria. I've seen people mention that while their dragons are on these treatments they give them probiotics. How do I go about doing this and what should I give him? Thanks for the help.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Acidophiliz+ is what I would recommend if you can wait for shipping. Soy yogurt will work in it's place until it comes in the mail.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Acid.html

Also make sure you are giving daily baths, along with extensively cleaning the tank each and every day, if the vet hasn't gone over this with you already.

I don't really like the idea of Albon and Pancur being given at the same time. But meh. What are the instructions the vet gave you in regards to the two?

-Brandon

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
claudiusx":a2ewi68y said:
Acidophiliz+ is what I would recommend if you can wait for shipping. Soy yogurt will work in it's place until it comes in the mail.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Acid.html

Also make sure you are giving daily baths, along with extensively cleaning the tank each and every day, if the vet hasn't gone over this with you already.

I don't really like the idea of Albon and Pancur being given at the same time. But meh. What are the instructions the vet gave you in regards to the two?

-Brandon

He's getting .3ml of albon once a day for the next 10 days and he's getting .15ml of panacur once a week. I had read that a lot of people do three days on three days off with albon so I was questioning that a little. I emptied out his tank and cleaned it out before he came home. Right now all that's in there is a paper towel substrate and some tupperware bins. I've been cleaning the tank and everything in it on a daily basis as well as daily baths. I'm alternating between my white vinegar/water solution and my bleach/water solution to clean his tank

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately bleach (and i'm about 90% sure vinegar, too) won't kill Coccidia.

I would highly suggest investing in some sort of steam cleaner. It will make cleaning 10x easier and it is much more effective.

Otherwise, you likely will have to get a vet grade cleaning product to be thorough. You definitely don't want to be administering harsh meds without cleaning the tank properly, as this will just cause a reinfection, as I'm sure you know.

-Brandon

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
claudiusx":22iyalwv said:
Unfortunately bleach (and i'm about 90% sure vinegar, too) won't kill Coccidia.

I would highly suggest investing in some sort of steam cleaner. It will make cleaning 10x easier and it is much more effective.

Otherwise, you likely will have to get a vet grade cleaning product to be thorough. You definitely don't want to be administering harsh meds without cleaning the tank properly, as this will just cause a reinfection, as I'm sure you know.

-Brandon
You just confirmed my fear, I was afraid that it wasn't strong enough. I was looking at this http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=KV68301
What steam cleaner would you recommend?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And if buying online, pay attention to the reviews it gets. What looks good in a description, might not be good in the real world. Thats one of the pluses to online shopping, you can base your purchase off of others experience.

I don't have any experience with the steamer I linked, I just posted it as a general example of something you would want to be looking for.

-Brandon

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
claudiusx":38u762z6 said:
And if buying online, pay attention to the reviews it gets. What looks good in a description, might not be good in the real world. Thats one of the pluses to online shopping, you can base your purchase off of others experience.

I don't have any experience with the steamer I linked, I just posted it as a general example of something you would want to be looking for.

-Brandon
Thank you so much, you've been really helpful :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom