Probiotic effectiveness study

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My wife (an epidemiologist) read through a study on probiotics that was released over the winter. Here is the writeup she put together in response.

Review of: “Dietary Probiotics Affect Gastrointestinal Microbiota, Histological Structure and Shell Mineralization in Turtles” by Rawski et al. in PLOS One 2016. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147859

This study of turtles purchased from a commercial pet dealer compared different probiotic mixtures with a control group who did not receive probiotics. I think the first two types of probiotics can be bought commercially. The first type of probiotic is the single species probiotic A (SSPA) with Bacillus subitlis PB6. The second type of probiotic was the single species probiotic B (SSPB) with Bacillus subitlis C-3102. The third type of probiotics was a strange combination of probiotics and potentially dangerous bacteria. That type was called multiple species probiotic (MSP) treatment and it includes 6 different probiotics, 1 type of bacteria—Enterococcus faecium, that causes major infections among humans, and a yeast—Candida pintolepessi that I would also worry about (could potentially cause thrush in people). Before I move on to the results, let’s think about the use of these bacteria in your pets. I wouldn’t want to give any pet bacteria that could cause infections in people, especially pets that kids handle. In the research lab, I have to wear gloves before handling Enterococcus but I doubt your average pet owner wears gloves when giving probiotics to their pet. In short, please do not give Enterococcus to your pets! However, the combination of those other 6 probiotics could have a protective effect (MSP had good results for these turtles) but were not studied without the harmful bacteria.
As for the results, this study found that SSPB with Bacillus subitlis C-3102 improved the structure of the stomach and intestines but turtles who received it excreted more harmful bacteria into their water compared with the other types of probiotics. Thus, the scientists stated that this is also harmful to the pet owners. Therefore, the only tested probiotic that can be recommended is the SSPA with Bacillus subitlis PB6 because it decreased the concentrations of bad bacteria excreted. Yet, even this one wasn’t great. The discussion section of this paper also warns against another type of probiotic called A. municiphila because it exacerbates gut inflammation and supports the development of salmonella infections.

In short, I believe the current mixture of the MSP probiotic is dangerous to administer, and the SSPB with Bacillus subitlis C-3102 is dangerous to clean up after (harmful bacteria in the poo). Thus, more research needs to be done comparing mixtures of probiotics (without harmful bacteria) to SSPA with Bacillus subitlis PB6.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's very interesting cooper. I didn't look at the bacteria that is included in the probiotics that are generally recommended here, do you know off hand ?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Interesting. One of the things that I've wondered about the probiotic craze for reptiles is also the strains used. How many of them are actually part of the natural gut flora of reptiles, and would that have some impact on the efficacy?

Is it the wrong interpretation that at least these strains have no meaningful benefit?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
That was my question to her. Neither of us are sure what the strains are in the commercially available options other than Acidophilus - which is a good one. The study really wasn't ideal in that it tested groups of bacteria instead of testing them individually. Some of the groups contained bacteria that are harmful (to humans at least) and led to the turtles pooping antibiotic resistant strains which is a big problem. I think another study using some of the commercially available options around the world would be helpful. This study showed that some groups of them are helpful and some groups are actively harmful.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Typically they are labeled. I remember comparing the avain/reptile to small animal and only one strain was different... Which got me thinking.

Benebac:
Guaranteed total live (viable) Lactic Acid Producing Bacteria: 20 million colony forming units (CFU) per gram. (Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Pediococcus acidilactici).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Taterbug":365iac8p said:
Typically they are labeled. I remember comparing the avain/reptile to small animal and only one strain was different... Which got me thinking.

Benebac:
Guaranteed total live (viable) Lactic Acid Producing Bacteria: 20 million colony forming units (CFU) per gram. (Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Pediococcus acidilactici).

Uh oh. Having Enterococcus in there makes me do a 180 with my thinking on offering bene-bac. Do you know what is in the popular alternatives like Acidophiliz+?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
From http://www.herbalremedies.com/acidophilus-plus.html which I presume is based on the packaging or insert. I couldn't find anything else:

Ingredients: Triple Filtered Spring Water, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Cultures, Yucca shidigera, Papaya Puree, Calcium, Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3 & E.

Personally I'm pretty skeptical that these sort of supplements deliver on their promises. Human supplements are sketchy enough... But I digress....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah I'm with you on that. If they at least deliver a beneficial gut bacteria though, they may be worthwhile. At least the Acidophiliz+ concoction doesn't have any bacteria that is downright harmful. I'll take harmless snake oil over that any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom