PRINGLES ANYONE?/RESCUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hi everyone,

Well, I've been negotiating with someone on craigs list for a beardie, and she was delivered yesterday. (friend drove her from out of state) I don't know where to begin, so I'll just ask your opinion with what I saw.

1. There are several layers of shed on her tail and body, what can I do (except give her baths) to help loosen the shed?

2. I was appauled to see how dirty she was, and it would not come off, even with the toothbrush?????????? Her tank was disgusting, I still only removed what I would consider the first layer of filth from her and the viv, but don't want to add to her already stress re-location.

3. She also has a black spot right on the front of her top lip, (Pyrex had that once from banging into wire bars once) I'm hoping that's it, is it something else I'm not thinking of?

4. She is very plump, swollen and gooshy, I don't feel eggs, or any swollen organs, and she doesn't flinch when I palpate her belly. Is that one of the signs of liver disease? What else could it be? I understand that blood work would be definative, but I'm just picking your brains.

5. She has an odd stain-like appearance just beyond her beard, in the neck folds, I'm not sure that it's old shed because the skin is in tact? Any thoughts?

All in all, I feel embarrassed to give this girl to the new owners, but I feel in my heart that she is a "RESCUE" and I'm glad I've taken her from her previous owners.

Thanks for responding,

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hey there,

Oh wow I didnt know you'd taken in a new rescue.
It might be likely that some of the crud on her skin is too well ingrained to just be scrubbed off.
Have you tried using vitamin E oil before? It really helps Ruben get through the thick parts of his shed. Perhaps it could help the condition of her scales?
I use the vitamin E capsules for humans and just pierce a capsule when I need and squeeze them on.
The gel oil can be pretty tough to get off so they need a long soak with it on and lots of massages.

In terms of the neck discolouration I would think it could be shed. Neck sheds are pretty hard to wriggle lose and thats on a well hydrated and active beardie. If this poor little thing has been in horrid conditions I cant imagine he would be the most active guy. Perhaps it just clung on?

I know you have plenty of experience with rescues, but personally I wouldnt change little things one by one, that might actually prolong the stress. He is already in an entirely new place. I would think frequently subjecting him to small changes would make it harder for him to settle in his new enviroment.
Ive found with my monsters that they settle down quicker after one big change insted of easing them into it.
Just something to consider :)

Im afriad I cant offer any suggestions about her swollen belly.

And NO PICTURES????
How dare you?

Holly

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ethelia":76f0c said:
Hey there,

Oh wow I didnt know you'd taken in a new rescue.
It might be likely that some of the crud on her skin is too well ingrained to just be scrubbed off.
Have you tried using vitamin E oil before? It really helps Ruben get through the thick parts of his shed. Perhaps it could help the condition of her scales?
I use the vitamin E capsules for humans and just pierce a capsule when I need and squeeze them on.
The gel oil can be pretty tough to get off so they need a long soak with it on and lots of massages.

In terms of the neck discolouration I would think it could be shed. Neck sheds are pretty hard to wriggle lose and thats on a well hydrated and active beardie. If this poor little thing has been in horrid conditions I cant imagine he would be the most active guy. Perhaps it just clung on?

I know you have plenty of experience with rescues, but personally I wouldnt change little things one by one, that might actually prolong the stress. He is already in an entirely new place. I would think frequently subjecting him to small changes would make it harder for him to settle in his new enviroment.
Ive found with my monsters that they settle down quicker after one big change insted of easing them into it.
Just something to consider :)

Im afriad I cant offer any suggestions about her swollen belly.

And NO PICTURES????
How dare you?

Holly

Thanks Holly for responding...She ate 20+ crickets this morning :blob5: :blob8:

I've been so out straight with this new gal coming that I haven't been able to post pics on her, or update my Bella's thread....

I am only calling her a rescue because of the filthy tank and her as well, I was the "beardie planner" :roll: for this gal that wanted a beardie, having faith in my experience........... but now I'd like to keep her for a bit to get all this filthy shed off of her, (basically on her belly and tail) I feel if a beardie is in this shape......their a "rescue"! Remove them and get them to someone who will care for them properly.

I want her nice for her new mommy, so the sooner the better for her.....She has good fat pads on her head/tail, chubby legs, and the belly (if the fat belly is not a sign of something else) so that's a consolation. THE PAST OWNER JUST DIDN'T BATH HER OR CLEAN THE VIV PROPERLY! Who knows what else?

Thanks for the vitamin E info.

Bugs and hugs, :love5:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thought I'd send some pics to see if anyone has thoughts about this beardies, top lip, etc.
Christinespictures354.jpg

Christinespictures372.jpg

Christinespictures369.jpg

These pics show the top lip damage, Will that large piece of lip grow back?
I've been putting a tiny amount of antibiodic on it nightly.

Christinespictures357.jpg

This was after many, many baths, still has dirty shed to come off, the pic doesn't show how bad the filth was. :silent:

Christinespictures358.jpg

This is the neck stain???? Doesn't look like old shed, or bearding color, (she never beards or darkens, no stress marks, it looks like a stain) what do you think?

Christinespictures370.jpg

This is such a docile girl, she allowed me to pose her, bath her, and snuggle right away, sooooooooooooo precious, she is now with her new owners, and I'm in contact with the owner daily.

So this week-end I'll be getting another beardie for new owners and we'll see how that goes, hopefully I won't have to classify this one as a "rescue".

Someone looking for a "beardie planner"? :lol:

Chryss

Hatchling Member
She is a cutie and I am so glad for people like you that care enough to take them in and get them to good homes. I would love to be able to do that, but my hubby is not into it :( Anyway, did you find anything about her belly? I ask because my 2.5 month old's belly looks like that. Is that bad? Some lady at the pet store who breeds told me he is over weight. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

She is a pretty girl, she was just dirty I think.
The belly did not look overly fat to me, they are supposed to be somewhat soft. Hopefully, she was not developing eggs, but, if she is at least you are keeping in touch with the new owners in case they have any problems if she has eggs to lay soon.
You are a beardie planner now, that is really cool! At least you can help people find good dragons & then place them in good homes. Plus, you can educate the new owners prior to them getting their new dragon.
She looks healthy & not overweight, to me. Her lip should grow back & fill in with skin & scales. Though, it might have a slight scar afterwards, but it should not affect her ability to eat or her quality of life.

Tracie

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hello Chryss,
Welcome to the BD. org. first of all,
Well, it's hard to say about a big belly, having what we call a "Buddah" belly is very normal, each beardie has different eating habits and weight gain, I have 3 of my own and 2 of them have had big soft belly's one time or another, so I don't know if I agree with the "overweight" statement, but I know it can mean other problems as well, so I guess if one is unsure a vet visit would be in order. With this beardie, her belly is soft, I don't feel eggs, and she doesn't flinch when I palpate her, so I quess I won't worry.

Thanks Tracie for your always helpful info and continual support.
BTW, when's the book going to be published? :shock: :wink: (only kidding)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

Ha ha, not for awhile! :shock: It will be awhile.
How far away are the people that you gave the rescue girl to? I hope they are somewhat closeby.

Tracie

arenaburch2000

Hatchling Member
I am glad you took her in. I recently took in a very sickly looking dragon that someone off "craigslist" said she was fine.....she wasnt really fine. My husband and I are getting her back healthy thought. I just wanted to give you kudos for doing that....most people wont.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Drache613":7f317 said:
Hello Christine,

Ha ha, not for awhile! :shock: It will be awhile.
How far away are the people that you gave the rescue girl to? I hope they are somewhat closeby.

Tracie

Tracie,
I want to reserve a signed copy of your book when it arrives, :wink: :mrgreen:
Seriously,........... I work with this new beardie mom, so I see her everyday and this baby will be coming in for "show and tell" in our daycare, when it gets settled in her new home.

Arenaburch2000,
I've just been the advocate and planner for these new owners, I travel tomorrow to get another beardie for more co-workers, I'll try to have new pics, hopefully she will be clean.............. and someone else approached me at work and asked me to keep an eye out for a beardie for them,.................PRINGLES ANYONE?................ I think I'll have to change the heading on this post, :lol:
Thanks for the kind words, it's very rewarding, because they are all adults that need new homes.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
arenaburch2000":7e72a said:
How far do you travel to get Bearded Dragons?

arenaburch2000:
With the two beardies recently: the first came from VT, and my neice lives there and was coming to my home anyway, so there was no travel, :blob5: :blob8: and yesterdays beardie came from CT, the owner and I met half way, so there wasn't alot of travel involved for us, just the beardie, but she did so well. We also have a beardie train that can be used, but I havn't done that yet. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77604&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Well, all went well with yesterdays beardie, travel was long for her, not one stress mark all day, she is sweet, docile, and is already loved by the new family.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Christinespictures387.jpg

Christinespictures388.jpg

Christinespictures386.jpg

Christinespictures380.jpg

Christinespictures379.jpg

Christinespictures385.jpg

We had a full day of show and tell, viv set-up, food prep, bathing and cricket set-up............ :p
So the excitement is over right now, I do need a 40 gallon breeded for the new owners, anyone? :D
And I'm on the look-out for another one, whew..........soooooooooo much fun!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I got nothing to add as far as care. You already know what your doing, so congrats on the save. She is a sweet looking beadrie. :mrgreen:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":6ad7c said:
I got nothing to add as far as care. You already know what your doing, so congrats on the save. She is a sweet looking beadrie. :mrgreen:

Thanks, there are so many adults that need to be rehomed, for the right reason............. not for a breading "mill".............She was very sweet. and both of them will be very much loved.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Not all of us breeders run mills. I rescue and rehome on a regular basis. But I do know what you mean about breeding mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom