Pregnancy signs?

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
Hi, I thought of you the whole time and wanted to update way sooner but I was away for a long weekend with really terrible internet connection. My roommate took care of my dragons and especially kept an eye out for Coco (and regularly updated me) and I tried to check in with the cameras as often as possible!

She did not lay any eggs yet but got even crazier with digging! I put the male dragon in a different tank before I left (she isn‘t handling changes as well as him and I didn‘t want to stress her more) and added a dig box. She didn‘t seem to like the dig box very much, checked it out a few times abd then pretty much ignored it. So I just put the cardboard box on the warmer side of the tank where the substrate already is and slightly pressed it in the substrate. I think she likes it more that way as she actively startet digging there and it is currently her main (and almost only) digging spot. I will upload a picture tomorrow as it is already way into the night here!

I first started worrying that she still hasn‘t laid any eggs but her belly grew even more and now you can see and feel the eggs really well! So I think she started digging early on but since the eggs obviously still grew I think she is fine as it would have been too early laying them already. Also her behavior started to change today, she was still digging but regularly took breaks and laid under the basking spot. She is still active but it looks as if every move is harder for her than before (which makes sense being highly gravid). What are your thoughts of that? Do you think it is normal behavior digging for that long or should I maybe check in with my vet again?

And also so many thanks to your tips and help with the dig box! I am really greatful for your help and the time you take to answer all these posts (I read so many of your replies in posts from other people, especially when I was reading up as much as possible about the dragons before getting them).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, sounds like the egg laying is imminent ! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the lay box and eventually the eggs. You can offer her water by dripping it on her snout to see if she'll have a drink during all this hard work of digging. Then after she lays them too.
I'm glad to help if I can, always hoping for good outcomes for people looking for answers to anything dragon related ! :)

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
O.K, sounds like the egg laying is imminent ! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the lay box and eventually the eggs. You can offer her water by dripping it on her snout to see if she'll have a drink during all this hard work of digging. Then after she lays them too.
I'm glad to help if I can, always hoping for good outcomes for people looking for answers to anything dragon related ! :)
I already offered her water yesterday and she drank a little (which she usually never does, only my other two dragons). She also didn‘t eat any vegetables yesterday, as far as I can tell. Today they get insects, I will still offer them to her and see if she wants to eat them.

I also have a little bowl of sepia in her tank, I read in the internet that they will eat from it if they need the calcium. Is this correct and would you leave the bowl in there?

So, here are the pictures! I am not a great photograph but she already restructured it a lot! You can‘t really see it well (sorry I tried but couldn‘t get a better picture) but there is a huge hole right where the „entrance“ is and on the right side of the cardboard box. Please let me know if there is anything I should change!

I might try to take another picture later, when all lights are on. Currently only the first one simulating the sunrise is on, which doesn‘t give much light yet.

I will also keep you updated how she‘s doing!

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpeg
    IMG_2277.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The box is good, just pack it full of the substrate after it's dampened . You could also mix a little play sand with it and then add water to make less dry.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
Coco ate the insects yesterday, although not with the usual enthusiasm.

Yesterday morning she still dut everywhere in the tank and seemed quite restless. But since yesterday afternoon she stopped digging and only rests.

I am still unsure if she should lay the eggs soon, as according to the vet the x ray only showed follicles and not eggs (but I am not sure how much to trust her on that). And I only started to feel the eggs two days ago and can‘t see them from the outside. But her digging behavior would mean that she should lay them any moment and I am starting to get worried that she now is so lethargic. I am trying to call the vet but didn‘t have any success so far.

I would be glad for any help and tips!

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 62

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dragons with follicles don't dig like mad or look that plump. Is she still in the box there ? Did you add more substrate ? They will rrest in between digging, she should lay them any time now.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
I added more substrate and made sure that the substrate below is also moist. She sometimes digs in the box but also at other places in the tank. It kinda seems as if she is not happy about the spots where she can dig. Might there something be wrong with the substrate/humidity/temperature/etc?

She currently rests on a branch that is in the tank. She started digging again for a bit about an hour ago but definitely isn't as active as in the last few days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's probably very close to laying. Don't offer anymore food now so that will be less to distract her and to digest. She should be fine.:) Don't lift the box from over top her [ in case you did ] so she feels like she's hidden.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
She's probably very close to laying. Don't offer anymore food now so that will be less to distract her and to digest. She should be fine.:) Don't lift the box from over top her [ in case you did ] so she feels like she's hidden.
Thank you! I will do that and wait :) I didn't lift the box (although I would have liked to check in on her sometimes) as I didn't want to scare her and stress her unnecessarily.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
O.K, just be patient and you should hopefully see eggs pretty soon. :)
coco laid 11 eggs today!!🥰 as far as I can tell, most if not all are fertile, which makes it way harder for me to discard them. I feel like a monster destroying what she worked so hard for.

I bathed her, as she was completely covered in substrate and gave her some insects which she hungrily ate! Now she‘s chilling under the heat lamp and relaxing!

Would you recommend a vet visit after she laid? Or is there anything else I need to keep in mind (besides keeping her hydrated and giving her calcium/vitamins)?

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2350.jpeg
    IMG_2350.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 59

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yay ! Good girl Coco ! :blob5: No need for a vet, she's doing great. I never took one of my girls in after laying, this is natural for them and good food, hydration and water is the key. Nice big eggs ! You have an incubator ?

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
Oh wait, you are going to discard them ?
I don't know what else to do. I didn't expect her to get gravid so soon, so I didn't have an incubator yet. I ordered one as soon as I realized she has eggs but it will arrive next week. And I don't think they would survive in the enclosure as the weather here is crazy right now (almost 40°C until yesterday, now suddenly so cold). So I thought it might be best to discard them now instead of trying to hatch them and then they die while the embryo is already further developed.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom