Power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
So we are having a rain and wind storm and out lights keep flickering off and on. I dont know if we will loose power but I think the weather is supposed to remain this way into next week. What should I do if I loose power? 2 winters ago we lost power for 4 days my dad slept in bed with our boa and python to keep them warm and then brought his truck and loaded them up til we got power. HE used to own his own Semi truck when his company was still alive. I didn't have a bd back then so what do I do it gets really cold really fast in my house.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Most folks use the hand warmers in a package. Available at sporting goods stores, and I've seen them at WalMart. You could also warm a brick or rock in a propane barbecue.

LooptyLoo

I second the heat packs! Also, you can fill a water bottle with hot water, wrap it up in a towel and lay it in the enclosure if heat packs aren't available to you :D

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
That's a great idea as well Loopty!

I too stock up on heat packs, again be sure to wrap them as they get over 100 degrees

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thank you all so much I have been so worried about it. This will be my bearded dragons first winter. I used to have an older beardie but he has liver failure and so now I have these little tiny guys and I was just so worried I would loose them. I love them both very much and cant ever risk there life. So I will get some hand warmers and stock them up. Once I get a job I want to get a little generator. Specifically for them.

Oriheme

Juvie Member
Its been rather storm here, winds, rain, thinder & lightening. Its insane. Part of our town lost power the part I live in didn't. We have a "beardie power outage plan" were going to put Dragonite in a smaller box (bc she's not very tame yet) witj handwarmers to keep her warm. With Boba Fett hell probably end up under my sweater to keep him warm. Wed just start a fire in yhe fireplave and cosy up to it lol.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
We actually just made a video about that :)

Hand warmers are an option, but I personally prefer shipping heat packs, as they cost the same but last much much longer. Keeping an insulated shipping box on hand is also not a bad idea - if you're in an area that's really cold, you can pack them up into the shipping box with the heat pack and keep them warm that way. Obviously, not ideal for long term, but to keep your beardie warm enough to make it through a power outage in winter...it'll work!
http://youtu.be/gXCOq_G31Ok

-Jen

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow! I wish I had the money to buy all that stuff in your video. I have 2 beardies like I said, but I don't have a job. With the government shut down, my grandmother wont get her disability check from what I have been told, since she can not work anymore because of her knees and back. (to painful). So I have to try and make my worms last and I am trying to get a job so hope that happens soon so I can get all that stuff.

argolupin

Hatchling Member
I keep a supply of hand warmers around my house that i can use. we had a really bad snowstorm that knocked out power for 2 days a couple of years ago and it was frightening. i love to go at the end of season to walmart and stock up on discounted ones that way i have some for me and some for my tarantulas and reptiles. i also have a stash of blankets in my reptile room that i can cover the smaller cages up with adn it seemed to help keep the temps up. I was awake when the power went off though and could act quickly. let me tell you that trying to hunt for hand warmers after powe goes out in teh stores was a nightmare. i went to 4 stores because no one had even put them out yet as it was still october (an early oct. at that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom