Potentialy Broken Leg-Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herper96

THANKS SO MUCH!!! That is so helpful :D I'll make sure to make him a cast tonight :)

For the other person: He picks up his leg when he goes to walk and it seems he is in pain. I see no swelling or discoloration but I don't know what to do from here.I'm gonna try to make the cast and see how that goes but I don't have enough money to go to the vet(mostly because I have a Boa with R.I and her antibiotics will cost alot).

Thanks both of you for the help.

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
Well, on the positive side....him being in pain means that there doesn't seem to be any serious nerve damage. When putting on the cast be VERY CAREFUL not to bend to leg, and try to cast it in a very natural position. Try to think of how a human arm is casted. I know money is tough, I had to bite the bullet for me to go...but I would highly recommend it. There is the chance of some pretty bad (i dont know the technical name) infections could occur. If his arm isnt twisted/bend funny and just looks natural...just try casting it for 3-4 weeks.
Make sure (i know you said you did) you take everything out of the tank...I just threw in a little blanket for him to sleep on and hide under if needed. Also, I just took bandits cast off after 4 weeks and I now am just leaving the foam part on there to still give some stability to his leg, but at the same time he is free to use it. Good luck! Let us know how everything goes! Pictures! (
)

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
Hey, great job on the cast! Glad it worked for you. Hes very cute, haha. Good luck with him, keep us updated! Remember Calcium added to his crickets and veggies! (not too much though). Make sure he gets LOTS of good light! (UVA, UVB, and some natural sunlight).

Herper96

Thanks, I did it with the instructions right in front of me ^^ As for calcium I have a uvb light on him as well as his cage next to a window. It's a good way for him to get heat and Uvb. I'm gonna keep his cast on him for 4 weeks. Is that long enough or too long?

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
4 weeks is good. There is no harm in going a little over. Just make sure maybe every week, you unwrap it and make sure its not turning gray. Make sure his color is good, if it starts turning gray, then you need to bring him in (kind of no choice on that one); because that means it might have some sort of infection. Also, I usually gave bandit little baths then :)

Also, your going to need a UVA light. The sun is good and the UVB light is good, but hes going to need a UVA light also. Along with that, you need to pick up Calcium supplement to sprinkle on his crickets (and if needed, veggies), because the lights cant exactly provide the full calcium he needs. Also, make sure that at least one side of his tank is at MINIMUM 100 degrees (some will suggest higher than that even)...and the MINIMUM for the other side would be 80 (again, some will suggest higher). :) Good luck! Keep us posted!

Herper96

OK, well...He just took off his cast :banghead: so I'm gonna try to modify it so it will stay on longer.

As for lighting, He now has all of the above. UVA, UVB, Heat and natural sunlight. :D

Thanks for all the help you've given me, I'll keep you all updated. :blob5:

vanity

Hey guys iv had quite a scare today i read about your beardies and i also had an accident and im not sure if my beardies leg is broken or whats going on. her back left leg is limp and i cant tell if its swollen or not but theres no discoloration, this happen maybe about 3 hours ago i dont know how long it takes before there could be discoloration, maybe im too worried and just need to wait a day. ill just start with what happened. so i had the beardie in my hand and was just petting it as usual and i showed it to my mother how cute it was as it just closes its eyes and she freaked out and smacked it(i know stupid choice of mine shes not afraid of lizards but she thought i had a roach or something). she was maybe 3-4 off the ground (we were sitting) and didnt just fall she was pushed so she slid all over the floor until she came to a stop just nipping the wall (maybe 5 feet) i dont know if the fall could have hurt her. it didn't seem like it because i have had her jump out of my hands at that same height and she was ok, however it could have also been my mothers hand when she pushed down crushed the leg?(since it was like a sweeping motion). well the leg looks normal you wouldn't be able to tell it was broken or anything like that but she avoids using it at all cost and cant seem to grip onto my hand with it. she might just lift it to take a few steps and she doesn't seem to feel any pain when i would touch it or move it. and im also worried that my beardie is just a hatching (about 8-9 inches including tail)
sorry if my details might be unnecessary id just like to tell you as much as i can to know if im just worrying too much, i love this beardie to death but i just cant afford to pay a vet right now (also a college student) as i don't get more loan money for a few more weeks but ill see what i can do.

Herper96

Wow, Your beardie seems to have the exact same problem as mine, different circumstances though. My beardie jumps all the time(I try to make sure he doesn't that much anymore with his broken leg and all) I would follow BBandsCareTaker's cast directions on page 2. That's what I did, and it seemed to work.

vanity

ok so shes doing better this morning shes been walking around the cage as normal but just wont use her bad leg(still chasing the crickets too), i carried her and when i lift her tail a bit i can see that she can move the bad leg(moves it less that she moves the other one to try and find footing on my hand). and she seems to be opening and closing her mouth allot randomly i heard they do this when they want to change temperature and i don't know if its a coincidence that shes doing this more now. the temp at the moment is 98 hot side and 80 cool side. sometimes the hot side can get up to 115 degree and they just stay(all day) there i would think that if they got too hot they would go to the middle of the tank or cool side. is that ok or normal? or should i get a new bulb that doesn't heat as much?

on the last note she seems to be eating more than average this morning and i will be making her a cast shortly. Thanks!

Herper96

Have you read this whole forum? It can help. As for the lighting, I keep mine 100 F during the day and 65-70 at night. That's the hot side. The cool side stays 75-80 F during the day 65-70 at night. I turn off all my lights at night. That's just my way of doing it. It can be done other ways, I'd get some more opinions though. As for the cast you can see my cast on the links I put up and BBandsCareTaker's cast in his post. Just look through the whole post. :D Hope I helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom