Potentialy Broken Leg-Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
I m so glad to hear that Bandit will b okay n i m so glad u took him to the vet.

Can't wait to see his pics.... :D

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I just thought of something have you handicapped his viv?

Last year one of my females RD injured her arm it took about 6 to 9 months for the healing process not 6 weeks but maybe because he's younger with softer bones and muscles is why the vet said less. Anyhow you're going to want to make his house safer for him while he's healing so he's not constantly reinjuring it. For instance I took RD's basking rocks out and replaced them with a large soft teddy bear...once she was healed and moving around normal again gave her basking furniture back.

Just a thought incase you hadn't already thought of it or done it. :wink:

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
fresnowitte":2s8uwnyu said:
I just thought of something have you handicapped his viv?

Last year one of my females RD injured her arm it took about 6 to 9 months for the healing process not 6 weeks but maybe because he's younger with softer bones and muscles is why the vet said less. Anyhow you're going to want to make his house safer for him while he's healing so he's not constantly reinjuring it. For instance I took RD's basking rocks out and replaced them with a large soft teddy bear...once she was healed and moving around normal again gave her basking furniture back.

Just a thought incase you hadn't already thought of it or done it. :wink:

Hey! Thanks for the advice! I actually took everything out....and gave him his blanket to roll around in the day he got hurt. Sorry I have not posted pics up yet! I am going to get on that now. I had to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled this morning. I decided not get get knocked out, and the numbing stuff wore off faster than they thought and didnt get pills for 2 hours...a little painful, haha

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
Bandit007.jpg

Bandit005.jpg

Bandit003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Awww Bandit. He looks so cute! Ur cast wasn't so bad lol Please keep us posted on how he's managing. :D

I went thru the same thing a while back w/my wisdom teeth :bleick: U have my sympathy!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, have to agree, he does look so cute. Your cast must have served the purpose too. Thanks for posting the pics.

Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth, that certainly is no fun. Hope tomorrow is a little more comfortable for you.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Aww Bandit is a really cutie! :love5:

Sorry about the wisdom teeth been there done that isn't anything nice.
Hope you are both better soon. :wink:

Herper96

I'm glad to hear about Bandit! :D Last Night I was holding my Beardie and my brother was unaware I was holding him. He was mad at me and he pushed down right where my beardie was :evil: . (Sierra(my beardie) was covered with a blanket) I heard a small crack and I thought that he broke something. I thought it was a rib at first but it wasn't. It turned out to be a leg(front left). I need to go to the vet because I LOVE Sierra. I was just wondering how much it was for you to get Bandit taken care of at the vet. :?:

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
When I went to the vet, it was around $160 total, if I remember. I remember the x-ray was $60 and cast equip was $13 (which was a joke because she just cut up a lid from an ice cream bucket, haha). I would remove everything from the tank and bring your little one in. I kept Bandit in his cast an extra week and now have his leg in just foam wrapping so that he can bend his leg and "work out" a bit, but it still restricts movement and still adds support. Better to be safe than sorry!
Sorry to hear about your little on though :cry: its always a little heart breaking to see them hurt. You should make your brother pay for it, haha. Best of luck, hope he gets better :(

Herper96

Thanks, I would make him pay for it but he, like me, has no money lol. Can you tell me how you made your cast? I need to make one. And I don't have anything in his cage for him to climb on so it's all good.:D I'm hoping it's not a dislocation in which case I have no idea what to do about. Would I have to remove the limb? That would be so terrible. But anyway, thanks for the help and info.

P.S I was wondering how you put the pics at the bottom of your comments.

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
Hey I am more than happy to help! First I will do the short answer about the pictures....I just went under settings/signature and put this "
". If you want to upload some pictures just use photobucket!

As for the first cast...
1.)I first took a thin foam material to wrap around his leg and taped around it (I did this to make sure that I was not taping anything to his skin, and the foam like material grabbed on to his rough edged skin. Two, if there is any swelling the foam helped his leg to be able to expand. Three, it was nice because I didnt have to worry too much about making his cast too tight)
2.)I then went to "fast food place of your choice" and "borrowed" some big straws. I cut them up and put them together to be able to wrap around his leg to make it solid.
3.)Then I taped it all together so he could not bend his leg

The second cast...
1.) Take an old ice cream bucket and make an outline of his leg and cut it out.
2.) still use the foam things from above
3.) wrap around his leg

Here are some terrible "how to pictures" i made in MSPaint...haha
Bandit_Cast_1.jpg

BBandsCareTaker

Original Poster
Depending on the damage, they may or may not take the leg :cry: hopefully your little guy will just need some healing time. If it is a clean break, then he should be ok with a cast. Make sure you have the UVA, UVB combo and make sure he is getting his calcium!!!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Herper96":vanvvfr7 said:
P.S I was wondering how you put the pics at the bottom of your comments.
Check your Private messages. :wink:

Does your beardie appear to be in pain? Does he/she put any weight on the leg in question? Is there swelling or discoloration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom