Potential YF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Took my new boo to the vet yesterday. Vet is a lil worried he may have the dreaded yellow fungus. (I didn’t know what it was but omg after some research but anxiety spiked)

Basically what happened is when we brought him home from the pet store he had a flakey scab under his eye - assumed it was from one of the other babies at the store.

By the time we get Potato to the vet its swollen and scabby and honestly kinda gross. She said it could be from a cage mate but the swelling has her worried it’s fungus. We don’t seem to have any other symptoms of YF but just to be safe we get an antibacterial medicine. We’re prescribed an ointment and now here we are...

Today after his second application of the ointment I come back to feed him for lunch and the big scabby is gone but he’s still got some smaller ones and is a lil swollen. Looking closer it looks like part of his bottom lid and little “eyelash spikes” are MIA.... we have a vet checkup in a week but should I consult her sooner...

109007-2107099453.jpg

109007-6273378013.jpg

Also he’s been really moody all day today... any pointers to help him feel less stressed. I’m assuming it’s because he spent so much time in the car yesterday and the medicine and it’s probably itchy... he is also looking like his head and tail are gunna shed soon (his chest and back shedded on Wednesday).

Details about his setup cause I know people will ask;

Length: 8 inches (ish - he’s squirmy)
Weight: 27g

Tank size: 50 gallon glass (will be upgrading to a 120 once he is a bit bigger and the custom PVC we are getting made is drone)

Humid: we are measuring with a stick on rn but will be getting a digital on our next vet trip. We try to keep it at 35z

Temp: 100-110 hot, 95 warm, 85 cool (digital therm) - he prefers the hot for sure

UVB: H10 T8 28” bulb

Has a hammock under basking, 2 hides, 3 plants, and a log to climb all over

Food: majority mealworms 35-40 a day, we have a major BFSL shortage here and are waiting for a shipment to come in next week. We have been monitoring his pooping and tummy and he poops everyday (sometimes twice a day), we are working on veg (collard greens, dandelion greens, pepper, zuchinni - have cucumber and arugula to try). We have been making sure to heavily feed his bugs bc he is not super into veg yet

Vitamins: reptivite on saturdays, calcium w d3 all other days - dusted on worms and sometimes on his salad because he really likes the calcium powder

Also here’s some pics of him cause he’s cute!

109007-9440809059.jpg

109007-4745646808.jpg

Any advice/suggestions welcome :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes please NO more meal worms - the exoskeleton is too hard on them --- it can cause impaction --- the T 8 is where in the tank? It needs to be inside the tank -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen --- It needs NO obstruction for best UVB rays -- 6-8 inches from basking decor -- you can get BSFL on line from here www.symtonbsf.com
Also another good staple feeder is dubia roaches - along w/ salads every morning -- to me that does not look like YF-- looks like irritated shed -- and if shes rubbing that means its itching yellow fungus is usually yellowish color -- did the vet do a skin sample to test for yellow fungus
Karrie

sukasmomma

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3s41ky09 said:
Yes please NO more meal worms - the exoskeleton is too hard on them --- it can cause impaction --- the T 8 is where in the tank? It needs to be inside the tank -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen --- It needs NO obstruction for best UVB rays -- 6-8 inches from basking decor -- you can get BSFL on line from here http://www.symtonbsf.com
Also another good staple feeder is dubia roaches - along w/ salads every morning -- to me that does not look like YF-- looks like irritated shed -- and if shes rubbing that means its itching yellow fungus is usually yellowish color -- did the vet do a skin sample to test for yellow fungus
Karrie

I live in Canada so Dubia is illegal unfortunately.

The vet didn’t do a skin sample - she wanted to give it a week as Potato doesn’t appear to have any other symptoms or colouring. His eye looks significantly better than yesterday as well.

Our BSFL should be in on Tuesday which I am very excited for!!! We ordered quite a bit so I hope he likes them lol!

T8 is mounted inside and is within appropriate range of his basking spot and a few other high points from his climbing log.

sukasmomma

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gjmt3le said:
:) try this lady for worms https://www.thewormlady.ca/
Karrie

That’s exactly where our worms are coming from!!!

Also i forgot to say thank you earlier, I’ve been really anxious as we lost our senior in August to osteomyelitis... I don’t know if we were 100% ready to take on a new baby but when we met this guy we fell in love and I think it’s actually helping us cope with the loss of Suka. Just makes our anxiety about illness pretty high.

So thank you. I’ll update when we go back next week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom