Potential rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I wanted to update the original thread title to reflect the update with pics but couldn't figure out how...

Anyway, I went to pick her up last night! Now, I had seen pictures of her. Besides that, I've seen every picture to come across this board of all manners of neglect and emaciation and illness so I thought I was prepared. I could have never prepared for the impact seeing her in person had on me. I get the same effect when I see pictures of the Holocaust...it feels like a blow to the midsection and all your breath is knocked out of you. Mixed feelings of anger, sadness and helplessness well up where your breath once was. And when you're finally able to draw in air, it seems so harsh and you feel guilty for enjoying that air, enjoying that cheeseburger you had for lunch, guilty for taking part in all the necessities and desires of life while that poor little critter had next to nothing...just barely what she needed to stay alive, much less any indulgences! I suspect all rescuers feel the same. When you first lay eyes on an emaciated, skinny pile of scales it has a great emotional affect on you. No matter if you rescue one or 100, that effect never diminishes...you never get de-sensitized to the feeling of seeing a neglected animal.

I kept it together long enough to chat a few minutes with the surrendering owner, who seemed genuinely apologetic, concerned and thankful. "Is she as bad as you thought?" he asked as I gazed upon this tiny lizard, cowering in the corner of her empty glass tank on a carpet covered in poop. "She's pretty skinny," I said diplomatically, when what I was thinking was "Actually, she's a lot worse than I thought, you *****!" He drove away in his Camaro, relieved of the burden of this animal, and I sat in my car and cried.

All the way home, I stole glaces at her, crying off and on as I drove. But what's this? A very defiant beardie glare! No matter what nourishment she has been deprived of, it hasn't diminished that beardie attitude for one second! "Who are you and where are you taking me?" she seems to ask. "I know you're scared now, little darlin'," I coo'ed at her, "but I'm taking you where you'll be spoiled and happy and will never lack for anything again!"

After a long ride home (my total trip was over 130 miles!), my first order of business is to give her a soak. She tried to scramble away as I picked her up. She is surprisingly strong and active considering her physical shape! She calmed when I had her in my hands. She was alert and looked around, taking in her surroundings. I stood for a few long moments with her in my hand, amazed at her feather lightness. She clings to my fingers. Her bones may have begun to thin from MBD, but thankfully they are not misshapen in any way.

After we became acquainted, I lifted up "her" tail to see what the story really is. Lo and behold, under the wrinkly, dehydrated skin there are 2 definite bulges..seems like Margaret is a He! He looked at me as if to say, "Excuse me but I don't know you that well yet!"
On the way home, I had heard my favorite Mama's and the Papa's song, "Creeque Alley". There's a line at the end of very verse that says, "No one's getting fat except Mama Cass," and I thought Mama Cass or just Cass would be a good name for her because I wanted her to get fat! But that's when I thought he was a "her"! So now I'm back to name searching. . .

In the bath, his tail is curled up in that "What the heck is this?!" stance. But he sat still and soaked for a good 20 minutes. I dripped droplets on his nose and mouth, but he didn't lick at it or drink. He did close his eyes and stretch up as if to invite the droplets on his head. After his bath, he got wrapped in a Beardie Burrito which he also seemed to enjoy by closing his eyes and relaxing. My 7 yo daughter held him as I put down some shelf liner and put his original furniture back in his tank. Once in his viv, he perked back up and ran around, exploring. He even did some glass dancing. He seemed hungry and a couple times I saw him go into a hunting stance and attack some speck of something he spotted on his cage floor. I didn't know if he had eaten that day (or the day before that, or the day before that) but it was almost time for lights out so I resisted the temptation to toss him some phoenix worms.

Before I turned out his lights, I again found myself just staring at him. He stared right back! And just as I reached for the light switch, he squatted in that familiar pose and left me a nice present! His poop seemed normal, but a little orange. The previous owner had told me that he fed him carrots, so orange poop didn't concern me too much.

Here's a good perspective on how thin he is:
3406117393_8f6811379d.jpg

Nose Plugs!!
3406117483_46564a6b91.jpg

Thin as a waif, but suprisingly strong:
3406117513_d98fca5986.jpg

100% Beardie Attitude!
3406117459_fde6c2304e.jpg

This morning I apparently woke him up too early! This is how he says "Good Morning Lovely Person Who is Going to Save My Life"
3406927636_d13500afdf.jpg

So, I left him with some FINELY chopped collard greens and yellow squash. I'll give him a bath and some phoenix worms when I get home. And we'll see where it goes from there!

I felt this was meant to be from the moment I first saw him 3 weeks ago...and here he is. I'm saving his life, but I feel like I'm the one who is blessed. . .

And just so she doesn't feel left out, here is how I found Amber this morning. Looks like she's already thinking about breakfast!
3406927758_dbe9d7c83e.jpg

(BTW, Amber and the new guy are about the same age...he's about a year and a half, she's a year and 9 months)

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
This is an amazing story. I really hope the little guy continues to prosper under your care, I am only too sure that he will based on the pics of Amber. This little dragon was truly meant to be in your care.

On another note, I know of at least one overweight all bight healthy rock singer who is male...Meatloaf, or Loaf for short. Just a thought.

Good luck with your rescue, looking forward to the updates.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Oh I am so so pleased you got HIM.
I had been dreading reading a "he bailed on me" post.

I must admit I felt my eyes sting when you described how you sobbed for your new boy. I remember those tears. Outrage sadness and joy.
You are going to give this little guy a new life.

Its wonderful to hear he was active. Being so so skinny I would have expected him to just go into shutdown after all the stress f moving.
He's obviously a fighter.
I adore his defiant little beard in the morning. Totally oblivious arent they?

Im sure a name will come to you soon.

please do shower us in photos and give us daily updates ^_^
prayers for you and your little addition tonight.

Holly

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
While skinny......he surprisingly doesn't look all that bad. I would get a fecal to the vet ASAP and start him on a good diet of protein. Lets see if he has some growth in him still.

Amber look wonderful....

Ernie

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Rescue is always so hard. The moment when you first see the animal and are trying to remain polite while inside you're screaming. Crying in the car on the way home. Explaining to the poor little critter that everything is going to be OK now. The feelings of hope and joy when they do something to let you know they're still hanging on. I think we all have the exact same experiences with every rescue! It's heart wrenching, but it's also the most wonderful thing in the world. I'm so glad you took this little one in!

How about "Luciano" as a name (after Luciano Pavarotti)? I hear that he had a big attitude to go with his physique... and your little one certainly has the attitude already. The belly will follow. :D

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
barbi1655":cfe5f said:
It just breaks your heart to see something that thin..... :(

Barb

Yeah. He's thin, but at least he's not skin and bones emaciated thin, like your little guy was!

Best of luck to both of us!

barbi1655

I think we were meant to find these guys. Another day or so for James and I know he would have been dead. Your guy doesn't look like he had very long either.

In the end though, I don't know who is more blessed. Them for coming into our care, or us for getting to care for such strong determined little beings.

Barb

msmaui

Juvie Member
Oh, how sweet. He really looks very alert, considering. Bless you for getting him. And your Amber is just adorable. Quite a little chunk.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Things are going well. He picked at his salad yesterday, mostly just ate the squash and a couple bites of greens. He was even more active when I tried to hold him (i.e. trying to get away!) After a bath, he scarfed up about 15 phoenix worms. I went through my supers and found 3 soft, squishy, freshly molted worms to give him. He scarfed those right up, too. I made him another salad, and he ate every bite!

He is 14 inches, and I'd like to keep up with his weight. Could someone suggest a good, budget friendly scale to use?

Looks like we're well on our way to a fat, happy lizard! :blob5:

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I am so glad that you got him, and I know he is too, even if he isnt showing it yet! :wink:
I got a scale from WalMart in the office supply area, it was less than $25 and I have used it on the same day that mine have been to the vet, just to compare my scale. It has never been off even by a gram. It is a postage scale. Once the beardies get bigger, they dont fit on the base anymore, so I put a bowl or basket and tare and then put in the beardie

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yep, I'm off to Wally World this evening to get one. I went to the 2 chain drug stores and 2 chain grocery stores during lunch figuring at least one of them would carry food scales, but nada.

Actually, the convenience stores around here carry the postage scales, but everyone knows they're for weighing drugs :shock: I think I'll stick to Wal Mart...it's a small town. I'd hate to get a bad rep, :D lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom