Post vet appointment worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes but you dont want to burn him -- it sounds like your thermostat is funky--- I would do the manual thing for now till you get it sorted out :)
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
Ok. I’m still measuring using an infrared gun. I’m going to order some probe thermometers. Do these look ok?

Windbells Aquarium Thermometer LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer with Suction Cup Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature for Fish and Reptiles Like Lizard and Turtle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X4HNC1Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CwDfFb05MD0FB

Food update: he ate three small superworms this morning, but still no salad. Today I tried mustard greens, yellow squash, and strawberries. I also got some baby food that I’m going to try giving him later. He also hasn’t pooped since last tuesday.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try baby food squash - make sure he's hydrated- that will help in the poop dept-- and yes those probes will work - the infrared heat gun is good but it's good to have the probe thermometers too- just let him poop on his own - the super worms were not too big right?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good those bsfl will get him to the salad bowl so use as many as you want so they are crawling over over those leaves the movement will get him to that bowl
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
Do you think I should put his basking light on top of the mesh top? I have a 75, 100 watt, and also some halogen bulbs (90w) I could swap out.

Is his current light fixture too close to him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is trial and error w/ bulbs--- what is in there now and what are the temps? You want temps that are 95-110 in between is fine a gradient is better- if it's a gradient he can pick a spot that he likes to bask - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand and lay on will do that
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3plh3881 said:
It is trial and error w/ bulbs--- what is in there now and what are the temps? You want temps that are 95-110 in between is fine a gradient is better- if it's a gradient he can pick a spot that he likes to bask - a piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand and lay on will do that
Karrie

I moved the basking bulb to the top of his enclosure. The temps were just way too high with it inside. I got a 150w bulb that I have on a dimmer switch. (For the life of me, I could just not get the thermostat to work the way I wanted it to). I would place the probe on the basking spot and set the temps to 85 or 90 and the basking spot would still get too hot. I may try it another time but I don’t want to stress him because I have to keep turning it off when I adjust the temp. I was able to give him some butternut squash baby food today using a syringe. He didn’t eat much, but I was just happy he ate at all. The only big he would touch is the small superworms I mentioned. He just looks at dubias and crickets. Also, he still isn’t touching any fruits or veggies. I have been misting him morning and night and bathing every other day.

Here is a pic of the way I did the lights. Is the UVB a good distance from him and positioned in the right spot? Is it normal for them to close their eyes while laying under the basking light?

106434-9055790151.jpg

The hammock is temporary. I order a couple of logs from petco (including the resin one you suggested)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good glad you got some more decor coming -- does he sit on that pillow thing? How far is it from the UVB ---- pardon me but the UVB is a T 5 correct? I post so many post about lighting I cant keep up w / everybodies unless I go back and read previous post --- ok so he is using a T 5 -- so w/ that being said the log you had under the UVB before you have taken out --- he needs to be 12-15 inches from that UVB directly under it --- if its more you need to drop the fixture or wait and see how high the new decor piece puts it at ---- my UVB will get dropped approx 3 inches when I change the UVB out next month - I currently am using a Arcadia 14% bulb and it is getting changed out to a Reptisun T5 -- the Arcadia is a way stronger bulb and I at the time could not order any more Arcadia's everyone was out -- is he drinking any water when you mist him? He is eating a little so that is good -- what about pooping? How is that going and does it smell really bad -- did the blood work come back if it has please post it so Tracie can look at it -- I am looking back at previous pic and you have moved the UVB up as well to the top -- are you keeping track of his weight? If not you need to start - weigh him on a kitchen scale and weigh in grams --- yes its normal for them to close their eyes while basking - they are relaxing --- I would PM Cooperdragon about your thermostat thing you have -- you can find his name on one of the boards and click on his name and on the left side it will say PM -- PM him and ask about it --- hes gonna want to know brand that you have etc so give him the info and see what he says -- does he have an infection? Did you talk w/ the vet again about his blood work?
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1u7ukgme said:
Ok good glad you got some more decor coming -- does he sit on that pillow thing? How far is it from the UVB ---- pardon me but the UVB is a T 5 correct? I post so many post about lighting I cant keep up w / everybodies unless I go back and read previous post --- ok so he is using a T 5 -- so w/ that being said the log you had under the UVB before you have taken out --- he needs to be 12-15 inches from that UVB directly under it --- if its more you need to drop the fixture or wait and see how high the new decor piece puts it at ---- my UVB will get dropped approx 3 inches when I change the UVB out next month - I currently am using a Arcadia 14% bulb and it is getting changed out to a Reptisun T5 -- the Arcadia is a way stronger bulb and I at the time could not order any more Arcadia's everyone was out -- is he drinking any water when you mist him? He is eating a little so that is good -- what about pooping? How is that going and does it smell really bad -- did the blood work come back if it has please post it so Tracie can look at it -- I am looking back at previous pic and you have moved the UVB up as well to the top -- are you keeping track of his weight? If not you need to start - weigh him on a kitchen scale and weigh in grams --- yes its normal for them to close their eyes while basking - they are relaxing --- I would PM Cooperdragon about your thermostat thing you have -- you can find his name on one of the boards and click on his name and on the left side it will say PM -- PM him and ask about it --- hes gonna want to know brand that you have etc so give him the info and see what he says -- does he have an infection? Did you talk w/ the vet again about his blood work?
Karrie

The UVB is a T5 reptisun, and I moved it to the top as close as possible. It’s about 13-14 inches from the hammock basking spot. The logs I ordered are not that tall so it shouldn’t be an issue. I also scooted it over to the left a little so it’s over his basking spot more because before it was in the center of his tank.

The vet didn’t say he has an infection, but said his white blood cells were a little elevated. He advised me to continue the antibiotic treatment. His calcium and all other levels were good. I weighed him on a kitchen scale yesterday, but he’s so big it was hard to get him positioned on it. I need a different size I think. I will work on getting his weight.

He does not drink when I mist him. He closes his eyes and acts like he hates it. I drop water in his mouth with a syringe when he will take it.

Still no poops. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so he's poops will be what he's putting in so no food or little less poops- the med is going to affect his appetite- is he done w/ the meds? How much longer? Keep him hydrated-- did you get his blood work? I cannot understand why they would give an antibiotic w/ out knowing for what! They are shooting in the dark! What mec is he on?
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
The antibiotic is called fortaz, and he has 4 left so 8 days :(

I will call tomorrow and see if they will email the exact blood results he just explained them to me over the phone.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so we need to have Tracie weigh in on the medication --- she can look at the blood results as well she may advise a probiotic as well
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, please get a weight on him for us. I can double check the dose of the Ceftz for
you if you need. Do you know what strength of the solution the Ceftz is?
The vet wasn't sure he had an infection though?
If you are going to continue the medication, do keep him well hydrated daily & it would be a
good idea to get him on some probiotics, too for help with his system.
Please post a copy of the blood tests too when you get them in.

Thanks,
Tracie

Teach88790

Original Poster
The dosage is Fortaz 1 gram per ML. It says “give 0.17 ml into the bicep muscle every 48 hours”

I have been giving him baths, misting him, and giving droplets of water using a syringe. He is not eating, so not getting any hydration from his food.

He is 560grams. He was 562 last Tuesday when I took him to the vet. I was able to place a big bowl on the scale and sit him in it. I weighed the bowl by itself first and subtracted that. Which probiotics should I order from you?

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom