Post vet appointment worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
White cell counts often are slightly elevated simply from the stress, just like some people have slightly raised blood pressure in a Dr. office. I'd discontinue the antibiotics. And yeah, soaking every few days is fine for 10 minutes at the most. The lingering shed is totally normal, it will come off when it's ready. Here's pic of one of mine with uneven shed. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

It's normal and nothing to worry about. To increase humidity slightly you can lightly spray your dragon in his enclosure once a day, early or mid day..

Teach88790

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17y1k44o said:
Not sure on the hygrometer- I know there is a way to test them and re-calibrate them look at this website and go from there https://www.cheaphumidors.com/blogs/hygrometer-information/humidor-setup-how-to-calibrate-your-hygrometer
I would not soak unless absolutely necessary -- I would use a spray bottle and mist him --
Place a water dish on the hot side of his tank - what is your humidity running during the nite time? Blaze is currently shedding his tail its white at the moment so I have been spraying him and his tail every couple of days --- today I sprayed him and noticed at the very tip of his tail maybe a 1/4 of an inch he was wagging it -- :lol: I have never seen him do that before -- maybe he enjoyed the spray I dont know :lol: -- I just thought it was funny!
Karrie

Okay, I had his water bowl on the cool side, so I’ll switch. Do I mist his whole body including his head? How many sprays?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
See if yours will go up -- I tried the water bowl in mine and it raised it by 1 degree - I have put in water bowls in my two tanks and set them directly in the hot spot -- gonna see if that raises the humidity - spray him a good spray so its dripping off of him - if they are thirsty they will drink -- thats when you keep spraying till they are done licking-- let him lick the water in between sprays - it is so humid here now our dew point is 73 outside -- my a/c and dehumidifier in the house is doing its job --- because my tanks are like at 29% humidity in them - my hygrometers are new too - they are only like a month or so old
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3k4d5siz said:
See if yours will go up -- I tried the water bowl in mine and it raised it by 1 degree - I have put in water bowls in my two tanks and set them directly in the hot spot -- gonna see if that raises the humidity - spray him a good spray so its dripping off of him - if they are thirsty they will drink -- thats when you keep spraying till they are done licking-- let him lick the water in between sprays - it is so humid here now our dew point is 73 outside -- my a/c and dehumidifier in the house is doing its job --- because my tanks are like at 29% humidity in them - my hygrometers are new too - they are only like a month or so old
Karrie

Okay possibly my last question (at least for a little while =P) It is okay to spray his head and face? Does this need to be done away from the basking light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No you can spray him anywhere in the tank - I spray Blaze under his basking light and under his UVB on his rock - and yes spray his whole body and head -- Hiccup went right over to the water bowl and was looking at it - so I took the hint and sprayed him thinking he was wanting water and he was so I sprayed him now till he quit licking
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
So I think I finally got his temps right. In his basking area, it’s about 94-104 in different spots on his log. He’s been moving around a bit today. I put some super worms in his salad, but no luck with that yet. His color looks pretty bright and his tail shed is progressing.

He is in the hide on the cool side of the tank, though..... does that mean I should shoot for lower basking temps?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No leave them the way they are - he has an option of where he wants to bask and lowering them you run the risk of undigested food -- leave the food dish in there til this afternoon - he may come out and eat later
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
Update: he still isn’t eating. Could it be the antibiotics? I have made a fresh salad with turnip greens (his favorite) each day and I’ve mixed on other things. Today I tried little pieces of watermelon to add some color. I also added in 6 super worms.

I’ve gotten the temps in his basking area to remain steady at 94-104. He is moving around the tank, and he seems to have a little more energy. Here is a pic of him just now.
106434-6680407990.jpg

His color is very bright. I cannot get him to drink from the bath or his water bowl, so I’ve been dropping some on his nose with a syringe until he starts drinking it. I wonder if that is enough since he isn’t eating anything.

I have a smart camera set up, so I can watch him on my phone. It has motion detection. I don’t want to miss anything.

Should I try to get him some probiotics? I saw a few other posts about antibiotics and appetite loss, and that was suggested.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes the meds are going to effect his eating along w/ the shedding - you can get him some probiotics to see if that will help here is Tracies website https://bug-de-lite.com/ she sells probiotics --
Is he eating anything at all since being on the meds? He will drink the water off his nose if hes thirsty - but you can always feed by syringe as well just if you do that do it real slow so he does not aspirate -- and I would feed maybe a ML or so --- go in on the side of his mouth and let him swallow before adding more --
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35eas905 said:
yes the meds are going to effect his eating along w/ the shedding - you can get him some probiotics to see if that will help here is Tracies website https://bug-de-lite.com/ she sells probiotics --
Is he eating anything at all since being on the meds? He will drink the water off his nose if hes thirsty - but you can always feed by syringe as well just if you do that do it real slow so he does not aspirate -- and I would feed maybe a ML or so --- go in on the side of his mouth and let him swallow before adding more --
Karrie

He has barely eaten. I’m talking maybe one worm a day, and no vegetables at all. What should I feed him with the syringe, baby food?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When is he off the meds? And yes you can baby ckn / with some greens like beans or squash mix them together also add some water -- feed slowly if you go this route -- keep an eye on his weight -- you can weigh him on a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams - keep track of it so you know if hes losing weight or sustaining it
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
He has several doses of the meds left. I think it’s a two - three week treatment. I couldn’t get him to sit very still, but I think he’s around 540 grams.

So I’m very confused. When I’m trying to get his basking temps in the 95-105 range, as I measuring air temperature or surface temperature? I’m asking because I got this herpstat thermostat and I set it to just 90 degrees, but the surface temps of his basking log were ranging from 115-130.

The digits thermometer I have on that end of his tank hangs around 85-88 degrees.

I’m using a 75 watt zoo med basking bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a probe on the basking decor piece to give accurate temps- not ambient which is air --- if your basking spot decor piece is 115-130 that is way too hot--- even air temps at that are too hot -- warm side of tank which should be middle of tank should be in the 90's -
Karrie

Teach88790

Original Poster
Okay. Just having a Pugh time getting this thermostat to keep the temps where I want. When the surface temp gets that high, I have to lower the thermostat down to around 80. But it seems like the thermostat isn’t turning on the light when I put the temp that low. If it gets to hot, will he move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom