Post brumation weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Barney, my 4 yr old male dragon has been in deep brumation for over three months. Its been over a months since I woke him up so I figured I should check him and make sure he got some water today.
Once I got him woke up, I put him in the bath to help warm him up. His legs and feet started shaking which I attributed to him just waking up. He had a nice long drink, some apple sauce and liquid calcium before going back to bask.
He has been awake all day, which is unusual for him so I'm hoping he will stay up now, I've missed him this winter. What I am worried about is his apparent weak muscles, he hasn't lost any weight or muscle mass but he won't stand up. Instead he does this weird belly wiggle crawl when going place to place. He can stand as I seen him jump off his rock earlier and right now he is standing up fairly tall. Has anyone else seen weak muscles in a dragon upon waking? Is it something I should worry about?
I gave him another dose of liquid calcium and some Vit B complex, anything else I can try to give him a boost? I tried massaging his legs but it isn't easy with the spikes.

Here is a picture taken today right after his bath.
100_0258.jpg

100_0259.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I have had one do something similar to that. He was a little wobbly on his legs, I guess he had too much beer during brumation! :D Seriously though, it is most likely just temporary. Make sure you get him hydrated back up & give him a few extra doses of calcium too. He has been slown way down & his circulation was not flowing as normal, either.
Just keep a close eye on him & if he continues that behavior then you can take him to the vet. Give him a little bit of time to come out of it completely since he has been under heavily for several months.

Tracie

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I was hoping someone else had seen it before and it wasn't a problem. I'll definatly keep any eye on him and see how it goes.
I just got home so he is due for a bath again in a bit then a little food. I'll give him a little more liquid calcium today then tomorrow he can start on his normal vitamin/calcium routine.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
One of our beardies seemed very stiff and shaky in his back legs when coming out of brumation. We helped him along by encouraging him to exercise his legs during every bath. It really seemed to make a difference and after about 4 days, he was back to normal. Since they do brumate in the cooler side of the tank, I think the combination of the cooler temps and inactiveness causes the muscle tone to deteriorate. Hopefully you'll see a difference in a few days. Due to the anti-inflammatory properties in silkworms, it might be a good idea to get some for him in case he is somewhat achy. Let us know how he's doing.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
There hasn't been any more shaking today and I did get him to swim some in the bath. He had the BIGGEST poo I've ever seen, he has to feel better after that. He's still being fairly lazy, choosing to bask all day but he seems more alert then yesterday. I'll take him out again in awhile and see if I can get him to walk around on the bed some.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good that he seems to be doing better! I agree, exercise by swimming would really help alot. Brumation really slows them down, & the muscles have to regain strength after that again. It should not take too long though for him to get back to normal.
Great that he went to the bathroom, too. I am sure he does feel better after that.

Tracie

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Little brat went back to bed. I'll probably wake for for one more bath then let him sleep again if he wants. The winters here are long so its not surprising he doesn't want to be up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom