Possible Yellow Fungus? UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmr7311

I am in desperate need of help. I am looking for any advice anyone may have... whether you agree with my suspicions and have any treatments tips as well. I have two bearded dragons, around the same age (I'm guessing they are about 6 or 7 months old). We bought them within a week of each other, their names are Fred and Jack. Fred has been nothing short of amazing. He's been growing at an incredible rate, eating well, looks wonderful. However, Jack has had some struggles along the way and I'm really worried about him. I've taken him to two different vets and haven't had luck with either. I called the vet again this past weekend and she suggested I just put him to sleep. I refuse to give up on Jack if there is any hope!

So here's his story: About a month after buying Jack he developed a white spot on his back. He was eating great and still very active. I called the vet after the spot didn't disappear from shedding and took him in. She said the spot looked like trauma from Jack running up against something (which he is the most active beardie I think I ever heard of so it was believable, he's constantly jumping off of and onto everything). We didn't do anything to treat that spot. However, she said Jack had hookworms and gave me antibiotics. It all went downhill from here. We finished the antibiotics and he seemed to be doing okay. Then his eating began to slow and that white spot never went away. He has never really grown since we've had him. He only weighs about 21 grams and we've had him since July. In comparison, Fred is HUGE.

I wasn't very fond of this vet, she didn't seem to know what she was doing, so I researched online to find herp vets in my area. I found one recommended vet and took Jack to her. She seemed very interested in helping me, but again, I feel like she had limited knowledge. She ran a fecal sample from Jack again and put him on two types of antibiotics, which he didn't end up having any parasites, so I was pretty frustrated that I put him through medications again for nothing. She gave me Silvadine cream for the spot on his back and developing spot under his mouth, and suggested that I feed him baby food with calcium added if he wasn't eating well. She thought he might have a calcium deficiency. I have ALWAYS supplemented their crickets with calcium and vitamin D3 and always offered veggies. I went out and bought a new bulb for their cage, one I had read about from this forum, the Repti-Sun 10.0. The cream seemed to help Jack's back as the "growth" on his back finally shed, leaving a pretty nasty scar, but it looked okay.

Jack finally stopped eating altogether. The area around his mouth seemed to have a buildup on it (which is yellowish in appearance). All the signs seem to point to yellow fungus, especially since he was treated with antibiotics. I am so upset with myself in retrospect that I never treated him with probiotics, but then again, the vet never mentioned anything to me and seemed to think nothing of putting him on antibiotics. I have been feeding him baby food with calcium supplements, and Pedialyte mixed in for his fluid and electrolytes. He is becoming very lethargic. I attempted to tell the vet this weekend that I think it might be yellow fungus but she really didn't listen, she sort of just suggested I put him down. I love my little Jack so much and want to avoid this at all costs.

The info on his housing: The cage is about 4 foot long by 2 1/2 wide. I recently changed the substrate to newspaper so I can change it DAILY (it had been alfalfa previously, which he used to rub his face in). I have a basking lamp (I have adjusted it so that there is a basking area of about 101 degrees (which Jack takes advantage of) and a cool side to the cage as well with a log for the two to be shaded in. I have the reptisun UVB bulb 10.0 which Jack is usually within about 8 inches from because he sits up on his rock closer to the top of the cage while basking. There are no heat rocks in his cage and never have been (so we knew the initial white mark wasn't a burn). I offer him dusted baby crickets, though he no longer eats by himself (he completely stopped eating by himself about 2 weeks ago). I do not feed him fruit baby food because I am aware that sugar should not be contained in his food if this is indeed yellow fungus.

His symptoms: yellowish buildup under his mouth and jaw, spreading to his eye area. He used to always rub his face on the bottom of his cage so this makes sense. The same buildup is present along the vent and under his arms and along his neck. His back also seems to be turning yellow as well. He does not eat, has become increasingly lethargic. But he is still ALIVE and I will do anything to keep it that way.

Currently I am still feeding him by hand, I have added Acidophiliz to his food as well and have begun to treat his back with Nolvasan and Lamisil as I have read from http://www.reptilerooms.com.

I am looking for ANY possible help you may have, any suggestions and improvements I could make are very welcomed. I just really want to save my beardie, and am doing anything I can. I do not want to put him to sleep unless absolutely necessary, and am pretty disheartened that that's what the vet wants to do.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Yellow fungus can be serious. Tracie (drache613 is her screen name) is the expert on this. There are a couple of others that could help. They have suggestions that could help. It will probably take a while, but there is hope. I wish I could give you some help on what to do. I would start with probiotics. At the moment I can't give you the names. There is one listed on the Mega ray site: (http://www.reptileuv.com) Look under the tab "products" then the tab "probiotics and supplements".

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You have had some trouble for sure. My main frustrations for you are that the vets medicated him for no reason. That really complicates their health & negatively affects them. When they have no ailments to treat but are treated with antibiotics anyway, it messes up the normal gut flora making it very hard for them to digest food. Basically it can give them a yeast infection. Albon is particularly harsh on their system. Is that one of the drugs he was on?
At the moment, you have already been proactive towards treatment. The novalsan is great. You can also get either tea tree oil or witch hazel to use in conjunction with the novalsan which are used as antiseptics. Then, follow with the lamisil & this must be done daily.
Some good probiotics to consider using are Acidophiliz, benebac, nutribac or soy yogurt.
The acidophiliz you can get from http://www.reptilesupply.com
The benebac can be found at most petstores in the cat or bird section or you can order it from http://www.reptilesupply.com
The nutribac can be ordered from http://www.reptileuv.com
The soy yogurt is usually found at walmart, or the grocery store or a health food store. It just has to be dairy free.

Try to keep his enclosure a little lower in humidity & don't use any loose substrates. How long have you been treating him now?
Continue to feed him babyfood & calcium. You can get some bee pollen to help with appetite & immune system improvement.
Do you have any pictures?
Keep me posted on him.

Tracie

wizbee

Juvie Member
Are your beardies housed together? If so you should separate them right away, I believe yellow fungus is highly contagious.

bmr7311

Original Poster
I have only been treating him for a few days now, it took awhile for everything to come in because I had to purchase the Nolvasan and Acidophiliz online. He was indeed on Albon.

My beardies are housed together BUT they always have been and Fred stays in one spot most of the day. I clean the cage every day and do not leave any crickets in there when Fred isn't eating so they can't be contaminated. It's not the ideal situation, but at this point between buying Jack everything to be treated, new lights, vet visits I can't house them separately. Fred has never been on antibiotics either so I don't believe he is very susceptible to yellow fungus, but I am still trying to be careful.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get my camera to work. And thank you for all the suggestions!

bmr7311

Original Poster
Here are pictures
This one is the day we bought Jack... he and Fred were very similar in size.
2.jpg

This is the comparison of them now. Jack has barely grown after 5 months, but Fred is doing great.
jack005.jpg

And here is Jack:
jack007.jpg

jack008.jpg

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
Just a thought, could the underlying issue be Jack being stressed with having Fred as a cagmate. I say this because if he was stressed, this could be the reason for the lack of growth and then being sick. You might want to try and separate the two for now.

Just a thought!
I am praying for him.
Robin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is one stressed out dragon. Hon, you really need to separate them or Jack is just not going to make it. He apparently is not eating much compared to Fred.
It appears that it could be yellow fungus, & that is contagious so separating them would be beneficial so
Fred doesn't get it as well.
How did the treatment go today?
Please continue the treatments daily, to help him improve. Is he eating right now?

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh gee, Jack doesn't look good at all. His coloring does show that he is very stressed, he should be as bright in color as Fred and/or there are some health issues going on.

I wanted to mention that it's not a good idea to lay beardies on their backs because it makes it very difficult for them to breathe, a healthy beardie would right himself immediately.

Hopefully the treatments will start helping soon, please keep us updated on him.

wizbee

Juvie Member
OMG yes what a stark difference. Probably due to stress of being dominated by the larger one. Separation is needed so the poor little one has a chance. Please consider this for both of their sakes. The poor little thing.

bmr7311

Original Poster
Jack hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. I hand feed him everyday. Jack has always loved Fred so I never felt that he was stressed. And as far as the basking spot goes, Fred has always taken the cooler spot and Jack has the hottest spot to himself, though both spots are pretty similar, so that was never an issue. I have their old tank that I can possibly use to separate them, even though I don't have the money for more lights right now, but I have no choice.

As of right now Jack doesn't move. I really don't think he's going to make it through the day and I'm absolutely heartbroken. In the past two days his condition has completely took a turn for the worst and I can hardly watch this... I don't know what to do.He is completely unresponsive to me and looks so lifeless. Just a few days ago even though he looked sick and didn't eat he would still run around. He has been the best little fighter I've ever met, and it's so devastating. I am doing everything I can and it hurts to see my baby like this.

bmr7311

Original Poster
To everyone who has been keeping up on Jack:

I made a final call to a local vet a nearby pet store recommended to me. This vet has not been taking any new patients but I made a desperate plea to them today and they agreed to see Jack.

Basically little Jack has been fighting all he could. Apparently there had been a tumor growing along his mouth and into his throat, one that no other vet had caught. Based on his already withering and practically lifeless condition the vet recommended that we put Jack down. She did not think he would be able to get any better. His suffering was apparent in the last two days and I couldn't see my baby hurt. I want everyone reading this to know that I did not choose the easy way out... I love Jack so much but I don't think he could handle any more. He's been fighting his whole life and I just wanted to do the most humane thing. This was the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life.

I love Jack and I'm so so so sorry for everything he has gone through. My heart is breaking right now. He has been such a blessing in my life and I'll never regret having him. I know that I did everything I could to save him and he was loved as much as possible.

RIP Jack... I will always love you

I am so very sorry for your loss. Little Jack was a handsome fellow and a fighter and I'm certain he knew how much he was loved.

Aimee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom