Possible RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Need insight, advice, and info on what to do other than a vet visit. Running low on money and won't get paid for another week.

One year old Female bearded dragon weighing 454 grams, 18''.

Tank: 55 gallon critter tank
Lighting: 1 75 watt Halogen Flood light, 1 50 Halogen Flood Light Bulb (s), Reptisun 10.0 Tube Light. (Only the best for my baby!)
Substrate: Paper Towels. No sand.
Basking temps were measured around 95-100 degrees last week. I'll need to take a temp reading again. So I will.

I've got Albon and gave her that this morning because I read that you could give it to them.

I called my vet and found out that her vet had a baby boy and is on maternity leave. The other vet who also runs the business doesn't know what to do as per how to dose the beardie or give an antibiotic. They told me that I could talk to her on Tuesday and I'm running low on money right now until the 3rd. They told me to try out Albon in the meantime and see if that'll at least help. So after I hung up, I found two to three vets that can treat Reptiles, but they all want money up front, and they do want to see her, but money up front's going to be the problem until the 3rd. I asked what I can do in the meantime and they said, "I don't know. There's nothing you can do until you see the vet." Well, the more I read from other sites, the more worried I get.

I'm going to see what she says on Tuesday and if she can prescribe something for her.

What are your suggestions? I've already Pm'd Tracy, but I just want to know what to do in the meantime.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Melody, sorry that your girl is worrying you ! What exactly are her symptoms, and how long have you noticed ? Please explain as best you can. I wouldn't use any Albon, Baytril is the usual med. for an R.I. But, if she is JUST starting to show symptoms, you may be able to nip it in the bud by elevating temps. about 5 degrees during the day, and keeping the tank warmer at night, 80 - 82 F. If she is not too sick, it may just disappear on it's own with adjustment in temps., and being sure to limit her time out of the tank, limit baths and if possible offer water via eyedropper or syringe directly on her snout. If you bathe, be sure water is warm, make it short, pat her dry immediately [ and bathe earlier in the day to be SURE she dries completely under the heat lamp] If you need to get some Baytril, you can ask Tracie if she sells it, or Rio Reptiles [ beardeddragon.co ] sells it.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":rllx42f0 said:
Hi Melody, sorry that your girl is worrying you ! What exactly are her symptoms, and how long have you noticed ? Please explain as best you can. I wouldn't use any Albon, Baytril is the usual med. for an R.I. But, if she is JUST starting to show symptoms, you may be able to nip it in the bud by elevating temps. about 5 degrees during the day, and keeping the tank warmer at night, 80 - 82 F. If she is not too sick, it may just disappear on it's own with adjustment in temps., and being sure to limit her time out of the tank, limit baths and if possible offer water via eyedropper or syringe directly on her snout. If you bathe, be sure water is warm, make it short, pat her dry immediately [ and bathe earlier in the day to be SURE she dries completely under the heat lamp] If you need to get some Baytril, you can ask Tracie if she sells it, or Rio Reptiles [ beardeddragon.co ] sells it.

She's been sneezing three times a day as opposed to twice a day, morning and night. No mucous discharge from her mouth or her nose. Nothing in the mouth. Even when I looked between the teeth. She's lifted her head up toward the lights and is starting to turn dark. I found her temps to be very low this morning. They were at first 77, now slowly going up into the mid-80s to nineties. She's slowly starting to turn her normal color on her head. She hasn't given me any poops yet. She's still eating normally. I gave her a small salad this morning consisting of turnip greens and eight crickets as usual. I'll stop using the Albon then. Because the symptoms start going away after her tank's heated up. She had her mouth open a little bit then closed it. I've cut her bathing time to once a week because it is cool in my house. I won't bathe her in the middle or late afternoon.

I've got a 75 watt infrared light on and she was pretty warm last night when I checked on her before bedtime. I'll raise the temps. Maybe for now, that's all she needs. Still learning. I remember last winter, she had a serious bacterial infection, but I want to nip it in the bud. I don't want it get any worse.

I was observing her actions this morning. She wanted to cuddle with me and sit on me. She kept sneezing into my neck and when she woke this morning, she sneezed. Then she sneezed several times in her tank. I feel so bad for her.

I guess they can get colds if the heat's not right. Thank you for your help. I'm open to any other suggestions. You've really eased some portion of my mind.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, everyone. I ordered a generic baytril suspension from beardeddragon.co. She gave me a normal looking stool sample with a normal looking urate. I saw some yellow mixed in with the urate.

Good news: She's only sneezed twice this morning. I gave her an old pillow a while back and been using it ever since. I decided to try tilting the head up to see if it'll make sleeping easier. I took two basking sticks and two decorative rocks and put them underneath her bed. I warmed it up with an infrared light first while she cuddled with me for an hour. (She really likes to cuddle.) Then I put her to bed and she didn't move from the elevated part. She slept there the whole night and didn't wake up til 9:30. I checked her and she was lying there, relaxing. I can tell she loves her bed and the way it was elevated. I guess some beardies are like kids. They need their heads elevated when they're sneezing and have URI. It sure helped her this morning. Only two sneezes are better than a four or five.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Even better news: I thought a respiratory infection would clear up on it's own without medication. I raised the temps up in her tank and she's a lot better. There's no sneezing and she's her usual colors and no stress marks.

Generic Baytril came today, but I'm going to keep it anyway in case she does get sick.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Me too! She had me so worried, but I'm prepared if it rebounds. She was really mad at me last night. I wanted to go out last night and I went to put her to bed. I covered her up and she ran out from her blankets, up my arm and her beard turned black. I didn't realize she would do that, but I held her until she drifted off to sleep. Then I put her to bed. Charming personalities.

Fellowdt23

Hatchling Member
They only thing i can suggest as i went through 6 months of constant RI and loads of antibiotics you dont want that.

So i suggest from now on keep day temps at higher end. For instance get basking spot to 110 and cold end mid 80s or just below if you can. And also from now on keep a little heat at night to keep it in mid 70s and dont keep water in her tank.

These are the measures i was advised to do by my vet to make sure nothing returns because if your dragon has suffered before its damn sure to comeback if your temps are the borderline.

Hope all is well

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fellowdt23":1v7spa2x said:
They only thing i can suggest as i went through 6 months of constant RI and loads of antibiotics you dont want that.

So i suggest from now on keep day temps at higher end. For instance get basking spot to 110 and cold end mid 80s or just below if you can. And also from now on keep a little heat at night to keep it in mid 70s and dont keep water in her tank.

These are the measures i was advised to do by my vet to make sure nothing returns because if your dragon has suffered before its damn sure to comeback if your temps are the borderline.

Hope all is well

It cleared up by the fourth day with the new temperature changes and so far so good, it hasn't come back. The temps, I believe were borderline at the time before adding a 50 and 75 watt halogen bulb. One for outdoor use and one for indoor use. It ranges from between 95-110 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom