Possible Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

My beardy is nearly 6 years old, she is healthy, maybe even a little over weight around 700 grams. She has not been acting all that strange recently. I believe she is in brumation now because for the past few months she has been a little lethargic. She always had a hard time pooping and I think it is because superworms are harder to digest for her. She will eat a ton of them. It's her favorite. I have to usually give her a bath to poop.

Today my girlfriend noticed something a little strange today. SHe had a little foam out of her right nostril. She wiped it off and it came back a little later. I also saw it and it was hardly any foam. It looked like a little drop. It is not there anymore. I'm worried that it may be a RI. I did give her a bath for about 45 minutes 3 days ago. She normally drinks water pretty good so I normally leave her unattended. I've never caught her with her head under water. I did close the door since my kitten wouldn't get her. Could the humidity have caused it in 45 minutes? Also, I got a kitten last week and could it be stress?

I went to Walmart since it is late right now and purchased a Flukers 75 watt black night light to keep her temps up in case it is an RI. I also bought some soy diary free yogurt to get her some probiotics. I thought it might help her poop better too. I don't really want to take her to a vet because we don't have special reptile vet, just an all animals hospital. My other question is, where do you buy baytril? I googled it and found a wide variety of them for horses and stuff etc. What one should I use?

*Basking temps is exactly 100, maybe 101. The cool side is around 80s. Repti-sun 10.0 that I change out yearly. Her enclosure is 4x2x2 crossfire that I built. It has tiles as subtract.*

Could you give me some insight on what I should do?

Thanks for reading!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Sorry she having issues. First she should never be left alone in the bath. Beardies can drown fast. She may have aspirated some water and you didn't know. Take the black light back as beardies can see the light rays even though us humans can't as they have a third eye on top of their head. She needs a ceramic heat emitter as they give off heat and no light. Second she should be limited to 5 superworms a day as those can cause impaction and they are also on the fatty side. The uvb you use is it coil/compact or tube? If you use the coil/compact that could be the problem as those are not good for them. If you use the tube thats good and it needs to be changed every 6 months. Is there anything between her and the uvb like screen or plastic?

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The reason why I used black night light is because I want to keep the temperatures up and petco was closed. I arrange her so she is under items to block the light. I think it will be an ok solution for one night

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Any colored bulb is not good for them. For night its recommended you use a ceramic heat emitter. I would take that bulb back and get a che.

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The bulb I am using is not the question or the issue. The potential IR is the issue. Can anyone give me some advice about the IR and not the bulb?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
When she breathes do you hear any clicking or wheezy noises? If she drinks in the bath its possible she may have aspirated some of the water if she drank to fast. Make sure you keep the humidity down in her tank by removing any water bowls and get her as dry as possible after a bath. I wrap mine in a face towel after a bath to absorb any water then lightly pat them dry on the legs, feet and head. Upping her temps by 5 degrees is a good idea at night to help boost her immune system. I don't see where a black light will harm her for one night. If its all you could get at the time then its all you could get. Beardies do see the light spectrum and light at night can disturb their sleep cycles. Keep an eye on her and watch for any clicking or wheezing. if she aspirated some bath water she should be ok but still keep an eye on her.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
If it looked like foam, is it possible she's shedding her nostril and you saw the skin poking out? Wiping at it would have pushed the skin back in possibly. The skin would come in and out as she breathes.

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's been very active and I don't hear wheezing. I think whatever is back to normal

Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom