Possible mouth rot?

Brandon223

Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
Hey everyone. my bearded dragon Sunrise has a little lump on her lower left side of her jaw. She hasn't had insects in a little while .I got some superworms and dubias two days ago and gave her some. The next day, yesterday she was lethargic. she stayed laid out on her basking spot and didn't want to eat anything including her worms, something she always eats even when she's not hungry. She doesn't eat every day so i'm not concerned about her starving. That night i noticed a little lump on her mouth. Today i treated her with Betadine on the inside of her mouth where the lump is. She's not as lethargic like yesterday but she still stays on her basking spot all day. She won't eat greens but does seem interested in the worms when i show her them. I didn't give her worms because i don't know if that caused the problem. Even if that didn't caused the problem, i don't know if eating worms will irritate her mouth. I would like her to eat greens since they're easier to eat. Does anybody know what this may be? I'm trying to treat her before deciding to take her to the vet because of the money. I just don't know if it's mouth rot or not.

Attachments

• DSC07619.JPG
    DSC07619.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC07621.JPG
    DSC07621.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC076200.JPG
    DSC076200.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC07628.JPG
    DSC07628.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07629.JPG
    DSC07629.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 36

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks a bit suspect for a mouth injury of some type. I am not sure if it's mouth rot, but there
may be some infection of some type starting. Was this lump there before you fed the superworms
& or dubias?
You can continue to clean the area out with diluted betadine daily. You can also try using some raw
unpasteurized honey on the mouth area since it is safe if ingested.

Tracie

Brandon223

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
I noticed it the day after i fed her the insects. I will continue treating her, and keep you updated.

Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wonder if the superworm somehow bit her or a pincher irritated her gum? This does happen sometimes. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey everyone. my bearded dragon Sunrise has a little lump on her lower left side of her jaw. She hasn't had insects in a little while .I got some superworms and dubias two days ago and gave her some. The next day, yesterday she was lethargic. she stayed laid out on her basking spot and didn't want to eat anything including her worms, something she always eats even when she's not hungry. She doesn't eat every day so i'm not concerned about her starving. That night i noticed a little lump on her mouth. Today i treated her with Betadine on the inside of her mouth where the lump is. She's not as lethargic like yesterday but she still stays on her basking spot all day. She won't eat greens but does seem interested in the worms when i show her them. I didn't give her worms because i don't know if that caused the problem. Even if that didn't caused the problem, i don't know if eating worms will irritate her mouth. I would like her to eat greens since they're easier to eat. Does anybody know what this may be? I'm trying to treat her before deciding to take her to the vet because of the money. I just don't know if it's mouth rot or not.
I don't really see a lump , can you post a pic of her face straight on and also a pic of the other side of her jaw ?

Brandon223

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
I meant to say there's a lump on the right side of her jaw. Here's the pictures, it's kind of hard to see the lump with her facing straight on. But i do have pictures of the other side of her jaw. The last picture is the left side.

Attachments

• DSC07640.JPG
    DSC07640.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC07641.JPG
    DSC07641.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC07638.JPG
    DSC07638.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07636.JPG
    DSC07636.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC07635.JPG
    DSC07635.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 24

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for your effort + your good girl posing for these pics ! I zoomed in to try + see but I just can't see the lump. Mouth rot usually causes noticeable enflamed, red areas and cheesy looking pus around the teeth + gums.

Brandon223

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
It's right under her mouth, right before it meets her beard. She's still not eating greens and is staying on her basking spot.

Attachments

• DSC07636-copy.jpg
    DSC07636-copy.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07640-copy.jpg
    DSC07640-copy.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh , I see it now. Might be a very small bug bite as Tracie mentioned but other than that does not look like anything of concern. If it grows bigger , you can have it looked at by a vet.

Brandon223

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
I fed her 6 superworms and 1 dubia 3 days ago. She's not lethargic today but won't eat her greens. Should i just feed her some worms since she seems interested in eating them?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can hold off on the bugs until she eats some greens, if she's hungry for live insects then she should be hungry enough for the greens pretty soon. She should be O.K

Brandon223

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunrise
Ok, thank you. There's more on the next page. When ever i click on this thread it takes me to page 1 instead of page 2.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom