Possible infestation in my dubia colony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I checked out my dubia colony and I noticed the frass moving. Upon further inspection I noticed some small catipilars and beetles in the colony that I have gotten from some sellers, my first though was that they reproduced. I am not positive that the small beetle sight and worm like creatures are "cleaner" insects but due to what people have said that is my assumption. Any insights will be helpful.Thank you.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Pictures would be helpful, if you can get them.

I've never had any worms or beetles in my colony, but I have heard of people intentionally letting those cleaner bugs live in their dubia colonies. They're pretty unnecessary, since newborn dubia nymphs will feed on the adult dubia frass and shed skins, which is essentially what the cleaner bugs do as well. If they are cleaner beetles, they won't hurt anything, but you can probably do a thorough cleaning of your colony and get out all the frass to reduce their numbers or perhaps even get rid of them completely if you don't want them.

marriott1012

Original Poster
Sapphire":1rqe8l3u said:
Pictures would be helpful, if you can get them.

I've never had any worms or beetles in my colony, but I have heard of people intentionally letting those cleaner bugs live in their dubia colonies. They're pretty unnecessary, since newborn dubia nymphs will feed on the adult dubia frass and shed skins, which is essentially what the cleaner bugs do as well. If they are cleaner beetles, they won't hurt anything, but you can probably do a thorough cleaning of your colony and get out all the frass to reduce their numbers or perhaps even get rid of them completely if you don't want them.

I will try to post some pics they are pretty small thought. I think my best bet would be to just clean it out like you suggested.

marriott1012

Original Poster
Buckmaster299":3gu35r2e said:
how can i get some cleaner beetles? i am needing a few for my colony. it hasn't produced any nymphs yet...

Um mine just came With the roaches I ordered from people and or businesses. I found them to be a terrible nuance because they bred so fast and we're all over I just cleaned my bins today. Just wait and till will produce them. Are you heating them and feeding them oranges and or other veggies

Buckmaster299

Hatchling Member
i'm ordering my heating pad tomorrow. the temp is about 75 in there during the day and cools to about 68 at night. once i get the heating pad i think the offspring will just take off. i have about 700 roaches in my bin ATM. i just got a shipment of 500 smalls late last month.

marriott1012

Original Poster
Buckmaster299":19gx147l said:
i'm ordering my heating pad tomorrow. the temp is about 75 in there during the day and cools to about 68 at night. once i get the heating pad i think the offspring will just take off. i have about 700 roaches in my bin ATM. i just got a shipment of 500 smalls late last month.

How many adult male and female you have?

Buckmaster299

Hatchling Member
I had a ratio of about 6female to 1 male. now i'm not sure. most of the ones i got in the large order i recieved were too small to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom