Possible infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
My beardie has, over the last few days, gotten a kind of beige-colored tint to the scales around his nose. I'm suspecting it's an infection, seeing as he looked perfectly fine a few days ago, but I wanted to get some advice before I get all "OMGOMGOMGHELP" and call the vet about it. The beige scales are in a kind of v-shape around his nose and go back to his nostrils, but not beyond them. They don't look very inflamed, but do have a slightly puffy appearance compared to the surrounding scales. He shed his head about a week ago, so I'm not thinking it's an old coat of scales about to come off. There is no sign of mucus or anything else indicating a respiratory infection to me, albeit it might be too early to tell?

b1.png

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

To compare, this is what his snout looked like a few days (2-3?) ago:

b4.jpg

If anyone knows what this is, or what this is a sign of, please let me know. His viv temps/humidity are very normal, and he is behaving normally as well. He does not appear in pain, but also doesn't like me to touch his snout (but when does he EVER like that?) His uric acid looks normal, but his poop is not holding its shape like it used to. It's not runny or liquidy, but it's just not as shapely as it has been. I change his diet every month to include more greens and less protein from animals, until eventually he is reaching the adult ration of greens-to-crickets, but I don't know if this has any effect on the excrement shape. Since I don't know what else to do, I plan on monitoring whether or not the beige scale thing spreads over the next day or so -- if it does, I'll take him to the vet. Help please! :(

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Honestly, to me, it does look like the beginning of a shed. One of my beardies looks like that when he is going to shed. It usually takes a while for the shed to happen though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree. :D Nothing to worry about, it appears he is going to shed soon. So you don't have to panic now.
He is a very handsome & pretty dragon, too, by the way.

Tracie

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! Actually, I have kind of a weird but definitely related question -- like I said, he shed his head about a week ago. He hasn't grown much since then, and actually just finished shedding his back legs and tail (he seems to start at the tip and over the course of two weeks move all the way down his body lol).

Is it possible for dragons to shed two skins back-to-back? For instance, when Bones shed around his beard, I held him close to a light and got a good look at him, and I could kind of already see a new layer coming off of his scales? Either that, or it's just REALLY thick keratin around his spikes... and he JUST shed his back legs like 4 days ago, but I can clearly see another layer getting dingy colored and almost like he's ready to shed again? I'm mostly concerned just because I give him frequent measurings/weighings (to his extreme chagrin) and he's changing at what I would consider a healthy pace, so why shed if he's not really growing? =/ Maybe I just have myself a very, very weird (and handsome) dragon!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, they can shed back to back, in different areas, that is quite common during their growing periods.
How is he doing today? Just give him some extra baths, & he should be fine. Is he having any trouble with shedding lately or is it all working out pretty well?

Tracie

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's looking pretty good, nothing has spread and I have a bath planned for him tomorrow when I get home from work. =) I've noticed as he grows older, he becomes more apathetic about shedding -- when he was a juvie he would shred that stuff right off as though it felt like a bad sunburn, but now he just kind of ignores it until it happens naturally while he's adventuring around the viv/my room. Either way, everything else is still looking good, and maybe this is just how his shedding patterns will change over time. Thanks for the help everyone -- I still have a lot to learn =D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, as they get a little older, they tend to shed in "patches" & when they are young & tiny they shed practically all in one shed. Their skin gets a little bit tougher & thicker which affects their ability to shed as evenly. When they are young, their skin is not as tough & I think it is a little softer too. Their spikes are not as developed, either & a lot of dragons have a hard time with their spikes.
We all have a lot to learn about these beautiful creatures. :D Enjoy the adventure.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom