Possible dislocation or worst case broken arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rankins":54kd2c2w said:
Wow, $400!! Let's hope it doesn't cost nearly that much.

At least George came home , healed and has had a good life since.

I spent nearly $800 on Puff when he had a huge "abscess" on the back of his head which turned out being an aneurism on his left jugular (MISDIAGONISED BY THE VET SURGEON) when the vet opened it up under general , Puff never woke up in recovery , he died from a heat attack brought on by a huge loss of blood volume in surgery.
So I wound up out of pocket having spent a small fortune upfront to get Puff operated on, and with a dead lizard as a result, and I was very upset (as I really loved my Puff as he had a wonderful personality and was extremely affectionate).

Comes down to how much you love your pet.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I'm not sure about Australia, but exotic vets seem to be VERY expensive here. Skipper had bloodwork and a checkup done and the bill made my jaw drop. I thought I was in for a cheapish visit.

But, like nobby said, I would do it again if I were worried about her health.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't ever had to spend much on my lizards yet. My vet usually doesn't charge me much to see them. Last week my bill was $29 for an evaluation...but I didn't agree with his diagnosis. So I'm doing my own thing to see how it goes. My vet isn't a reptile vet...but he is a good vet and he consults with reptile vets for help.
But I have an F3 Bengal cat that I spent nearly $800 on for surgery for an abscess she got from being spayed.
But regardless of what pet needs help we gotta keep em happy and healthy.

kerib86

Original Poster
Hey there, seems the same...she like very barely tried moving it but it just shook and fell back loose...she still not eating :( but at the same time seems okay..I'll most likely have to take her in to a vet as I just can't bear her to be in pain

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, a vet visit sounds like a good idea. Hopefully x-rays won't show any break, I got my fingers crossed for the both of you. Keep us updated...

kerib86

Original Poster
Hello everyone! So just as I suspected, pepper had a pretty bad dislocation, she started trying to use it the day I was able to bring her to the vet but needed to know the extent of the injury and saw that it was in fact dislocated...she is wrapped up and seems comfortable but still is not eating, going on day 5...it's very worrisome but the vet said there is nothing they can do about her appetite during this time...just to try and feed her different things, I have done this to no avail...I'll be lucky if she eats one cricket a day...

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks for the update! Sounds like the vet visit was helpful. Can you weigh the dragon now? That way you can monitor for weight loss and help decide if force feedings are necessary.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Very relieving it was a dislocation rather than a break! I know it still isn't the best news but I'm glad it isn't the worst.

As the vet said, keep offering foods. If she doesn't seem too interested, you can always try baby food chicken or squash in a dropper on the snout.
I haven't personally tried that, but I have tried repti-boost on a 2mo old baby that wouldn't eat due to relocation stress. After a week I was desperate, so I did some force feeding with a small curve tip syringe in between his lips on the side of his head. It worked for me and he eats fine now, but it might be just about letting her rest and recover

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, right now it doesn't sound like force feedings are needed. Struggling against it could worsen the shoulder. But monitor for weight loss and hopefully force feedings won't need to be done.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might be able to get her to eat a few crickets if you squish them so the guts come out the back end [ I know, gross :shock: ] and rub it lightly on her snout.

Did the vet take an X-ray of her leg ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3fowaf7b said:
You might be able to get her to eat a few crickets if you squish them so the guts come out the back end [ I know, gross :shock: ] and rub it lightly on her snout.

Did the vet take an X-ray of her leg ?

Or maybe tempt her with some small (1.5 inch) or medium (2 inch) silkworms - never met a lizard so didn't find silkworms irresistibly tempting.
I usually give the crickets head a squish and some juices come out that way too , works well when handfeeding lizards. Also disables the cricket so you can place where beardie can see and reach it (bet it'll disappear fast if beardie is hungry).

Is good news it's not broken, but a dislocation is near as bad and will likely take longer to mend. Is beardie getting pain relief and anti-inflamatories to help make it feel better (they worked wonders with George when he had his broken arm in a cast - he was like a different lizard after the painkiller injection kicked in.

Where's the dislocation
- wrist ? elbow ? shoulder ?
or ankle ? knee ? hip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom