Possible beginning of a prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Ok, My poor Sydney's been having a bit of problems for the last few months. She's been having a little more trouble walking lately and her spine is starting to curve a little more sideways so that has probaly contributed to her problems. Sydney didn't poop for close to a month. I tried applesauce, didn't work, bananas, didn't work, baths galore, tried a little olive oil on collards (wasn't happy I pulled that one on her lol) then more applesauce, finally I gave her a little more vegetable oil this time. FINALLY, after waiting what seemed forever, she pooped some...now today, she's trying to get the rest I gather out. lots of blackish/green runny poop. I noticed she was straining of I checked and her cloaca was bulged out (nothing was hanging out) just the cloaca pouch was bulging. I immediately took her to the bath hoping it would help her pass the rest of the stuff. She stopped pooping and the cloaca shruck back. Is it normal for it to bulge out when pooing or should I start the sugar baths today? Oh, and btw, immediately cleaned the cage, that stuff stunk!!!

fez09

Extreme Poster
You said that her spine is starting to curve, what type of UVB does she have and do you give her calcium supps?? How often do you bathe her?

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, guess I may need to clarify a little, lol. Sydney is appx 3 years old, small for his age. He has MBD and fell when he was little. He developed a hump and it is fairly large now. Here are some pics to clarilfy how serious his back is. Oh, yes he still gets his calcium (flukers repticalcium with D3) and he's still on the reptisun 10. It's time to upgrade it to a larger size though. He now has a 40 gallon. Hoping to get both of my beardies a mega ray next.

P1000815.jpg

And here's the small curve I'm seeing

P1000816.jpg

Also, if anyone knows any vets in the US that could do surgery to help correct his spine any, please let me know.

Frito

Hatchling Member
wow, thats major MBD.

what have you been using for UVB light for his lifetime? lack of UVB and calcium in their diet will stunt their growth.

maybe others on here with experience with severe cases of MBD can help you but from what i understand its not reversible and you can only stop it by giving them proper UVB and calcium supplements but it will never get better

if your not aware of this bearded dragons like many lizards need UVB light to produce D3 in their skin that allows them to properly absorb calcium in their body and if they do not get this what happens is their bodies take the calcium they need from their bones in an attempt to survive, if its caught early enough it can be halted and they can live full good lifes but when their spines and limbs get too weak they break bones left and right and what your left with looks like your little guy there.

here are some photos of beardies and iguanas with severe metabolic bone disease

Male-Beardie.jpg

4228515634_be94f2fcba.jpg

http://www.petclubuk.com/p/pet-info/reptiles/information/health-care--information/metabolic-bone-disease--associated-problems/357

MBD
1158739548327.jpg

Healthy bones
1158739576738.jpg

Valex

Hatchling Member
She obviously sounds like she didn't cause this. She knows he has MBD, and he has proper lighting, and he gets dusted... so get out of their george forman.

Lets get this tread back on topic, and actually, read the whole post before you start bashing people for their lack of knowledge. Its been done to me, and it is highly insultive. Read the whole thing, or don't bother posting

To the OP, I'm really not sure if it is the start of a prolapse... but it happens to my crested every time he uses the restroom, and he always sucks it back in. Hopefully someone with better experience can help you with this.

Sorry I was rude.. but seriously.

Frito

Hatchling Member
sorry, i was not positive if she knew what was wrong with her or not. the OP never mentioned MBD in her first post and i did not read the one with the pictures so that is indeed my bad.

i don't have anymore to add as i've never had to take care of a reptile with that level of MBD before but i was just making sure that the OP knew what the real problem was, everything else is more than likely resulting from the MBD.

I wish the OP the best of luck with the little guy and never intended to be mean or anything, just wanted to make sure you know what the main problem is that is easily visible

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No offense taken, people are usually surprised he survived it. I got him when he was around 8 months old, he was about 11 inches in length obviously very small. I wasn't very prepared for their level of care required. I joined the site learned alot and knew I needed new supplies. Apparently, his bones were already rubber though from the previous owner. I first noticed a slight lump at the base of his tail. Husband said he saw him fall 3-4 inches off his grapevine. Usually, it wouldn't be a problem from that height. I think the vertebrae were dislocated or slipped somehow because he's not completely paralyzed. He does seem to have some nerve damage though. Finally got him to the vet, all she offered was to put him down. I chose liquid calcium and a 50/50 shot at him surviving. That was 2 years ago. The liquid calcium mixed with the reptisun made him triple his weight in a month. He was around 85 grams when I took him in and within a month was around 200 grams. I think he has stretch marks on his back. LOL, the lines don't go away. Anyways, I know one day there will be a problem that they can't fix and I'm prepared for that, the best I can do is love him and make him confortable. Due to how bad the spine is, I suspect there will be a problem eventually with his GI tract. I thought he was at the end of the road 2 weeks ago, I was starting to make arramgements to put him down, he turned all black and I was waiting for payday to take him in to the vet. Well, he surprised me with a little poop, it was like a plug though, extremely hard, the urates had already turned to chalk. From then on, I stepped up with the effort and so far it has worked. I just never really cared to watch it come out though. (don't think anyone does lol) Maybe the bulging thing is normal. Just as a precaution, I think I will soak him good after every poo. Could I use a small soft toothbrush and gently clean the area? Sometimes, it sticks real bad to the vent. Thx for the replies and the well wishes.

PS Sorry this is so long, think I've had too much coffee this evening :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseSkull
Top Bottom