Possible Beardie Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I may be getting a beardie this weekend, I have wanted one for a while and I saw one on craigslist the other day. This women got a baby and she didn't realize that they eat a ton of insects when they are young. So he comes with the whole set up at a steal, so if she still has him on Friday I will probably bring him home. I already own 3 leopard geckos and have done a lot of research on bearded dragons because their care is so different from a leos. I am in the process of setting up a dubia colony to absorb some of the feeder cost. I am excited.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Well, welcome to my favortie site on earth! :wave: If you post the details of the set-up we'll be able to make suggestions. Far too many of us brought home a BD and set-up only to find the set-up was wrong. :roll: I was one of them! LOL! Good for you for doing research! Post pics if/when you get the baby and the chance :D

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
From what I understand, he comes with a 20L and I will be upgrading that to at least a 40 gallon within a month. She has an UTH which I will be taking it out, I use them with my leopard geckos but I have read that they are not necessary for bearded dragons. I know she has a heat lamp but I am unsure if she has the correct uvb set up. I have a 24' mount to use and will be picking up a reptisun 10.0 to use in it. I am not sure what she has as a substrate but I am planning on slate. She has a log hide and climbing limb for him. The only part that made me wince a little was she said she would send him with the rest on the mealworms. It's my understanding that they are not a good feeder for bearded dragons. I personally feed my leos dubia and crickets, that's what I am planning on feeding him. Also maybe phoenix worms. I will be dusting with Repashy calcium plus. When I get him settled this weekend I will post pics. I appreciate any and all advice!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Sure seems like your research is paying off 8) I'd start with a warm bath as soon as he's all settled. Mealworms. *sigh* :roll: Let's all hope for a big, healthy mess when he comes home! LOL! :lol:

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yes, a bath was definitely the plan before I even let him settle. I figured I would just take the mealworms, I have one lazy leopard gecko who refuses to chase crickets or dubia, in fact she half lays in the dish while she eats the mealworms, for some reason leos do well with mealworms. I have read so many caresheets, lol. I have almost got a little obsessive but I am that way with my leos too.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Maybe you could help me with Leo's sometime. I'd really like one next year. We could really use a good care sheet in the gecko part of the forum 8)

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I was just getting ready to check the gecko part out. I have been busy looking at stuff about bearded dragons all morning :). I have kept leos for almost 4 years now, I am not a newbie to them but I am still always learning! I really enjoy my leopard geckos, anytime you have any questions, let me know!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Thank you very much. I'll put the word out to our other Leo moms and dads and maybe together we can get out some good info :D

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yes there is a lot of bad information out there unfortunately, most of it comes from untrained pet store employees :x . The biggest mistake that I have come across is not providing belly heat for proper digestion. That's why I did my best to get the correct information about bearded dragons before getting one, I actually may go get him tomorrow. I am too excited to wait :)

morphmom

BD.org Addict
We have our hands full with petshop rants :roll: So many untrained people selling useless kits. So frustrating. I'm looking to buy from the urban gecko and I'm looking at a "Super Giant" A new babe is exciting! Can't wait to see pics :D

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am also on geckoforums.net, you can't go wrong there. There is loads of experienced people on there.I have the same user name on there. The only thing I am not excited about is the large amount of feeders, but hopefully in the next few months I will get this colony of dubia up and running.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok I have been texting this little guys owner and it sounds like they have not used any uvb at all :( . Will he be ok? Or do I need to pass on him, I would hate to do that though.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like you're still getting him young, I personally would still take him. Just always make sure you have the proper UVB light and calcium supplements. From my understanding, early stages of MBD are reversible. Phoenix worms are a good calcium supply, as are butterworms for a treat. Just see him first and make your decision but he might steal your heart ;)

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am looking into a reptisun 10.0 as we speak right now, just pricing them at different stores. I will be using Repashy Calcium Plus. It's what I use on my leos and they do great. UVB is new to me because leos don't require it.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah I currently have two baby leos myself. Getting them set up was strange since my beardie was first. It sounds like you have researched very well with everything in your tank. petmountain.com has good priced bulbs. I just bought my 24 inch for $32 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom