posible Bone disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy01

How do i tell if my bearded dragon has bone disease I have had my bearded dragon for 7 years and never had a UVB light GETTING ONE SOON i take him outside when it is warm but haven't in a month or more because bad weather but i read that they can get it in weeks i am scared that he may have it i never knew they needed it till i joined here and am a little freaked out i got him when i was very young so i didnt know anything about it.

Speedy01

Original Poster
He walks around just fine and doesn't care if i touch him he mostly just sits on my bed and stares out the window

Is his beard normally black?
Does he usually have stress marks on his stomach? (he has them in the pictures)

Both are indicators of pain/fear. From the pictures it doesn't look like he is scared, so I am going to say he is in pain.
A healthy and happy bearded dragon should have a white stomach and beard.

What have you been feeding him?
What are the temps in the tank?

Speedy01

Original Poster
No its normaly never black only when he sees a bird or somthing and i just moved into my house about 3 weeks ago this is his 4th move in his 7 years he might be stressed from that he doesnt run when i touch him or back away but i have been wondering why when i put him in my hand he spreads his arms and wiggles his tail like he can balance then he crawls on my arm and is fine? i think he is stressed cause i have been messing with his lights getting them ready for the UVB light and taking him outside might have done that i gave him a bath today

Speedy01

Original Poster
didnt see the last part his tank i dont know im getting all i need to check temp and make it better i have two 75watt house lights in there the filiment ones not the spring ones i feed him carrots and crickets i usaly feed him other things like superworms and celery but we havent been to the store in a while to get him other things im getting cucumbers for calcium

Speedy01

Original Poster
kittenmaster1234 said:
Is his beard normally black?
Does he usually have stress marks on his stomach? (he has them in the pictures)

stress marks gone beard normal he was probably mad cause i took pictures he is eating carrots now he wouldn't stop eating the little bits of yesterdays carrots so i gave him more i had to take his food for a while cause its been a week since he use bathroom i took him outside earlier and he went so i can feed him now

He may just like your hand. Although I have no experience with it symptoms of MBD are usually uncontrolled limb movement, and shaking or twitching of other body parts. From what you describe it does not sound like MBD. If it is warm enough, it would be best to keep bringing him outside for a couple hours. The sun has potent healing powers on them.

His stunted growth could very well be due to parasites if he has had them for a long time.

----

How often do you feed him?

Here is a list of the best foods for a bearded dragon:
http://blackninjakitty.com/herps/care/troystuttlegreeniglist.htm
While the veggies you have been feeding him are okay for him, it would be best if he has access to at least one dark, leafy "staple" vegetable. Getting one of the "staple greens" in the list I have linked would be far more beneficial as it contains a lot more calcium than cucumbers. (Cucumbers literally have no nutritional content, they contain insignificant levels of calcium in addition to this. They are just water.)

Alternatively, you could buy a calcium supplement (which I highly recommend) so that you can dust some of his crickets with it. In my opinion this is the best way to get sufficient levels of calcium in their bodies.

----

Its great that you are finding out the temperatures of the tank, bearded dragons are very sensitive to the level of heat they have access to. It really makes a huge difference having accurate temperatures. Make sure you get a thermometer with a probe and leave it on the spot you want to measure for 45-60min to get an accurate reading. The stick on and dial thermometers have been tested on this site to be up to 20f off.

- Best of luck -

Speedy01

Original Poster
Ok he doesnt have limb problems he loves to run around i used to give him that cricket powder stuff but i stoped after a while i thought that the lack of uvb was doing something with his growth but a couple years ago i had a dragon who lived in total darknes for 6 years until i saved him he was an inch longer than the largest dragon on record poor guy died of old age thanks for all the help

Speedy01

Original Poster
oops almost forgot i feed him crickets every other day and vegies every day 7 or 8 crickets

Wow!

Just did a bit more research on it and found that cucumbers do in fact contain a high level of calcium. Sorry for the misinformation, they would be a great food to feed him.

Edit: although the "staple greens" in the list that was linked contain 5x the calcium that is found in cucumbers, and would still be best.

Hope this clears things up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom