Poor Heat, to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Hello, during the day my little guy does fine he gets his heat between 110-112 with two lights, Only problem is I have to constantly regulate them to keep it from roasting him alive with only one on it maxes at 84-86. My situation for the baby bearide is pretty messed up with the heat and all. For the past two days I've left the light on all night to make sure his heat doesn't drop below 70 and the lowest I've seen at night with the light on is 76, and with out it has gotten to high 60's.

The room he's housed in, and the only room he's allowed in has poor heating. I keep a blanket wrapped around his cage. I also have a heating pad stuck to the out side of his cage at all times. I'm not sure what to do, and I know a Ceramic bulb is the way to go, but I can not afford one at this time. Temperatures can get to freezing on a cold night and I'm worried for the little guy, what are some things I can do to make his cage warmer, cheaper?

If you guys could give me ideas It'd be much appreciated and you'd be helping out my beardie and me a whole lot!

Spikey07

Juvie Member
It is ok for temps to drop as low as 65 degrees at night. So you do not need to add any extra heat unles it drops below that. I would not leave the light on at night as this will disrupt his sleep.

If you have a heat mat it should ideally be placed on the side of the tank, not underneath, as otherwise it can get too hot and burn them.

You really need a dimmer thermostat - for during the day - which you should connect to one of the bulbs. This will automatically dim the bulb when it reaches a certain temperature. What wattage bulbs are you using?

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Yes the light will disrupt their sleep possibly causing health issues in the long run.

All i can suggest since you can not afford a CHE which is the utmost best for night time heat is some sort of heating device like............
Hot water bottles inside the viv at bed time (Theyll need to be refilled and reheated maybe 2x a night) so youll have to get up and check how long it retains heat for.
Rice socks or microwavable heat bags (those with the corn type stuff inside), these will also need to be reheated one or two times a night

And just to make sure the extra heat is only needed IF your house temps and the viv temps drop to below 65 ish. They do need a cool down period at night also for metabolic processes to function normally

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright thanks guys I'm going to try the hot water bottle thing and I'll try and purchase a dimmer, where would I be able to get one?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As was mentioned, he'll be fine with temps. in the mid to upper 60's. A water bottle will cause too much temp. fluctuation in a short period of time, he'll go from too hot to too cold within an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom