Poor Canton, Illinois Beardies Have More Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatty

Juvie Member
My poor babies. After pulling Popcorn, Tatty, Cooper, and their eggs through about 18 hours with no power we thought we were ok. Now, guess what? We had heavy rains which quickly melting are snow and ice and the storm water drains are backing up in our finished basement. The first time this has ever happened since we lived hear. I have had to move my red-footed tortoise, mali uromastyx, and bearded dragon family up from their special reptile room upstairs. And I moved the hovabator upstairs as well. Poor, pregnant Tatty is due to lay her eggs anytime. We have been up since 3:00 a.m. 2008 has sure been a corker for us. Please pray that this stops so we can get our basement cleaned out and dried up and my babies back in their homes.

J.E. aka Tatty :cry:

kmc5

Hatchling Member
Michigan is not fairing any better. Power out around me but our house has electricity. Otherwise I would have cold reps as well. Prayers for you and your beardies. Can you get to the store and buy those hand warmers? I have a supply on hand for such emergencies.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We have power now. The poor little dolls however, are being flooded out of their home and equipment. Had to move them upstairs with me. If you ever had a sewer back up in your basement, its hard to describe what a mess this can be. All my reptiles and pets thankyou for their concern. They are upstairs on a heating pad on low. :|

Tatty

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Canton, Illinois is in West Central Illinois. The water levels are slooooowly dropping in the basement, but I am keeping my reptiles upstairs with me today and will take some vacation time tomorrow to see if I can't get that sewer water out of the basement. :cry:

Tatty

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Tatty, I must confess that when I heard about the flooding and basements flooding in Iowa I though and prayed for you all and your scaley family. I wondered how things were going and if you had been forced to leave your home. I'm glad you are still in your home at least.

My mom had a sewer back up several years ago which was due to tree roots growing into the sewer lines. It forced them to pay about $20,000 to have the carpets pulled up in her whole house except for one room. When you mentioned the finished basement, that's the only thing I thought of. You have a serious mess on your hands. And I feel very sorry for you.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Ohdear, you poor thing! :( I hate that you have to go through all this mess. Hope and pray things get back to normal soon. Hang in there.

Sandy h

CoopersGrandma

Juvie Member
thoughts and nothing but good wishes are being sent your way . we have been keeping an eye on the weather up that way , my hubands family is in Illinois and i have family in Michigan to , as well as Kansas<sorry , know i messed that up> spelling isn't the greatest this morning . sorry that you are one of the ones going through all this mess . hope that you and your family and babies make it through okay and hopefully soon things will get back to normal for you .

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I should be able to start mopping the reptile room and the fireplace room up today. Will be taking some vacation time so I can do it. The beardies spent the night sleeping on top of me last night. I also babied them and kept them on the heat pad quite a bit. They seem happy. I think we bonded more closely. My husband even cuddled them. :)

Tatty

Tatty's eggs are doing ok in the incubator which I have upstairs now.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Prayers and best wishes to you and your family as well as the beardies!!!! I'm so sorry you are having such a time. Please keep us posted on how things are going!!!

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will do so. I think I can start to mop up the water out of their home room in the basement. What a messs!!!!!

Tatty :x

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am hoping to be able to get the little dolls back home in their basement tonight. I worked so hard on everything yesterday that I made myself sick.

Tatty

hayl55

Juvie Member
I would use a dehumidifyer in yoru basement before puting yoru beardies back down their...the moisture in teh air might be to high, adn they coudlget a lung infection...make sure yoru absement is VERY dry...not jsu tmopped up..I know yoru anxious to get them back down there, but for their health, makse sure its taken care of down there. :)

Tatty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Hayl55 for the advice. I want to make sure everything is ok before I move them down. Until then, they will stay up here with me. Yesterday I cleaned in the basement and about 4:00 p.m. I had to quit because I got violently ill, probably from trapped sewer gas. I crawled upstairs to the bathroom and vomited non-stop for about one hour then collapsed on the floor and my husband found me. I scared him and the beardies to death. I relaxed the rest of the evening and was able to go to work the next day although I felt pretty puny until about 2:00 p.m. I never want to go through this ordeal again! :cry:

Tatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom