Poopy problems :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc3213

My bearded dragon has been treated for a large amount of parasites. The vet was even very surprised by the amount he had. After the last treatment, I haven't been able to go back in for a check up. Lately his meal worms, carrots, and collard greens all come out basically the way they go in. he can't seem to digest the exoskeletons of the worms. A ton of the exoskeletons come out when he poops. Today he even pooped out a full piece of a carrot and a whole leaf of a collard green. This has been happenening for about 2 weeks. He got the treatment for the parasites first over a month ago and the most recent treatment was 3 weeks ago. What is wrong with my little guy??

kaylorin

Mealworms are not a good feeder for beardeds. They can not digest the exoskeletons (so that is to be expected) and they can cause impaction issues. You want to switch feeders immediately.

What are your temps? Without the proper temps they can not digest, the basking spot should be 105-110. What UVB bulb do you have? Is it in the cage - is there any plastic, glass, or screening between him and the light? How far away is he from the light?

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Temps are important, but so is the stomach flora that probably go knocked out by the parasites and then the medication. Get some soy yogurt or other probiotic to help re-balance his system.

cmc3213

Original Poster
What feeders should I use then? HIs basking spot is 99, there is a screen between him and the lights, and the light is a 100w powersun. What should I do to make it hotter? Thanks for your help!!

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
the bulbs should be placed inside his enclosure with no screens between, the screens block out some of the uvb, so if you can rig something for them to hang from the screen into his setup that would help...also, try and get him up to about 6" from his UVB light...that will help him digest food (I read this on here on another post...just passing info, so feel free anyone to correct me if I have any of this wrong... won't mind, as we all want happy healthy bd's). If your temps are low, you can try a bulb that has a higher wattage...really just have to play around with it... also, what are you using to measure your temps... some of the stick on temp guages don't do a great job...I'm sure someone will be able to tell you which would be best.

As far as feeders, you could use the phoenix worms, crickets, or dubia roaches...

Jaxxnbeardie

Hatchling Member
I'm pretty sure the minimum basking distance for a Powersun 100w is 12" without a screen in between. There should have been mounting directions in the box.
What are you using to measure temps? A dial thermometer can be off by as much as 20 degrees so if you do not already have one i suggest picking up a digital w/probe.
If your beardie is a still a juvenile then you want your basking temp. to be around 105-110. An adult is fine at 95-100.

As stated above, move from mealworms as soon as possible.
Crickets, dubias, superworms (for a beardie 16" and longer), butterworms, silk worms, waxworms (treats, high in fat) can all be fed.

cmc3213

Original Poster
My dad just made a cage for Spaz and it will be done drying in a week.. I am planning on making the temps abolutely perfect for my little guy. No screen and the light will be mounted at the correct distance :) thank you for your help! Is the heat the only problem that could be causing his food to come out the way that it goes in? I just want my little guy to be super healthy and happy :(

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
Was just reading through a couple of your previous posts to try and work out how old she is etc... however I got sidetracked by the content so didn't work it out.

A few of your posts you have mentioned pooping problems where everything that comes out, looks pretty much like it did when it went in.

As she has had so many parasite problems, it sounds very much like the natural bacteria in her gut is off-balance, however, this would normally cause runny stools, not undigested matter.

I'll be totally honest and say that it sounds to me like the parasites have really buggered her up inside, if I were you, and I could afford it, I would be going back to the vet. They can provide you with various meds to work on getting her insides back in order and working again.

I would have just blamed it on the mealie chitin not being digested, however you have mentioned veg not being digested either.

However, if the piece of veg comes out at the same time as the exo-skeletons, it could be just that it got caught up in the mess and all came out, undigested. If it came out on it's own, without insect matter, I would feel the need to get her in to see a vet.

Or, a cheaper option, to try her on gut flora repairing substances FIRST.

Natural yoghurt is one of the best, but I don't know if dragons can have it.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Bene-bac is a probiotic that can be found in pet stores. Non dairy or soy yogurt with active cultures will also work for restoring gut flora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom