Pooping Blood-I Need Immediate Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Please Help!
My 9 1/4 inch long Bearded Dragon is pooping blood. Just blood. Not even poop. I went to pick her up and noticed it. I got her from PetCo about 4 weeks ago, and she has been fine. The blood/poop thing seems to be stuck. It looks like the skin around her vent is ripped. There is just blood all over the rock. I have reptile carpet, and I feed her crickets with calcium.
Please Help!
Thanks,
Reptar101

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Until you can get her to a vet try to keep the area moist - KY jelly works really well for this. Sometimes if they have parasites they can prolapse part of the inside of the vent, which may be what you are seeing. If it is an actual tear and a has a clump of blood/scab on it I wouldn't recommend taking it off as it may continue to bleed. Regardless getting her a vet asap would be her best bet. If it is a prolapse the vet should do a fecal to see if she has parasites that caused constant straining, and should hopefully be able to replace the tissue back where it is supposed to go. If it's a tear it may need stitches.
Keep things moist, give her baths, and you can feed some water or diluted baby food (squash) to her to help with hydration.
The best of luck to you and hopefully she will feel better soon.

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you.
It has gone back in now. I have done some research and it is a prolapsed rectum. I am keeping a close eye on her. There was actually no tear, it just looked like it when it was it the prolapse. If it happens again I will take her to the vet though.
Thanks,
Reptar101

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
I'm happy to hear that it went back inside. I would take her to the vet before having it happen again though... With a younger one it's almost surely caused by parasites... and they won't get better on their own. I would have your vet do a fecal float and direct testing to look for things like pinworms, coccidia, protozoans, etc. That way you can start treating whatever you might need to treat and prevent it from happening again. Sometimes the prolapsed part gets too swollen to go back inside and then you usually have to replace it at the vets office and suture the vent closed for a period of time, so not real pleasant for the beardie....
Good luck and I'm glad she's doing better now !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear the prolapsed area has gone back in. I do agree, & think that a fecal should be done to determine if she has a heavy load of worms or parasites. If there was that much blood involved, that is not good. Most likely you are looking at hookworms, & if the load is that heavy they need to be treated.
There are also other problems & issues that contribute to prolapses. Hypocalcemia or other nutritional deficiencies can lead to prolapses too. If she prolapses again, she might not be so lucky the next time it happens.
Are you using a good UVB light & calcium on a regular basis?

Tracie

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It was from too big of crickets, so an impaction. It has been the whole night and there is no blood anywhere, so I'm guessing it was just a one time thing. I am going to get more crickets, like pinhead ones.
Thanks,
Reptar101

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news she is much better now. Impactions can be serious.
Make sure that the crickets are no larger than the space between the eyes to avoid impaction in the future. Is there blood anymore? Go slowly now with feeding crickets to ensure that all of the impaction has passed.

Tracie

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes he is very good. We went to a reptile expo and found a place that is close that sells crickets. We got 1000 1/2 inch ones, and those are pretty small. He ate 100 of them at least a day, so he is eating well. He pooped and the poop looked like a pink, undigested cricket, so I am guessing the impaction has passed. There isn't any blood anymore. We got another bearded dragon from a reputable breeder at the expo. She is staying dark (when we got her she was bright, but she didn't have light, so she got dark), but I'm sure after time she will get back to normal color. Reptar and her fought a bit, but they friends now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mellzy
Top Bottom