ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
Hey guys, I have some concerns about our bearded dragon. Last night I woke up at around midnight and noticed that he pooped while sleeping. I did take him off his platform, cleaned the poop, and got him a new blanket. It was almost as if he pooped and slid forward. He did briefly wake up while I changed his blanket. Does anyone know why he would be doing this? Our almost a year old beardie was fed two hours before bed time. He does get fed twice a day gut loaded dubias and fresh salad both times. He loves the salad. During the day his cold side is 80 degrees, while his hot side is 91 degrees. His basking temperature is between 105 and 108 at the hottest moment of the day. At night he sleeps on his platform on his cold side. At night the cold side is about 80 maybe 79 degrees, with the rest of the tank at about 76 maybe 78degrees. So far hes been hiding most of the day under his basking rock, as well as a couple of days ago (I believe he is about to shed on his face and usually when he does that he gets skittish and reclusive). He is eating normally, and growing he just shed his body about a week or two ago. He is just acting more moody. We did get his fecal test done in December and that came back negative or normal. Any insight as to why he pooped while sleeping would be great!:)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Usually that isn't normal & can sometimes be due to
worms or parasite levels. You could consider getting
another fecal done to be sure he is still clear.
Did his stool look normal, no blood, etc?
If he is getting ready to shed his face I'm sure that he
is a bit grouchy!
He is eating normally which is great. Maybe try giving
him a little more time to digest before his lights out. Does he bask for the majority of the day?

Tracie

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
Hello,

Usually that isn't normal & can sometimes be due to
worms or parasite levels. You could consider getting
another fecal done to be sure he is still clear.
Did his stool look normal, no blood, etc?
If he is getting ready to shed his face I'm sure that he
is a bit grouchy!
He is eating normally which is great. Maybe try giving
him a little more time to digest before his lights out. Does he bask for the majority of the day?

Tracie

Hello!

He did get blood work done as well and it came back normal. His stool was a bit loose but still chunky. That’s something we’ve been dealing with aa well. Every other poop, He’s been having a more loose poop. Usually when he sheds, he eats, basks and hides. He is fed at 7:20am basks for about two hours and then goes into his hide until about 3pm. When sometimes I have to get him out and then he basks (totally willingly) until dinner at 4 maybe 5pm when he eats and then basks until lights out at 7pm.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, good so his blood test was normal levels.
You could try starting him on some probiotics of some type. Perhaps he is just having trouble digesting
his food. He might not be basking quite long enough to full digest his food, so try to encourage him to
not spend so much time in his cave.
They can be quite lazy sometimes I know!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom