Poo Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

reesnikki16

Our beardy, Bozley, is having a few problems with his poo. His poo sack doesn't seem to stay intact and rather than come out sausage shaped as it used to is a tad on the explosive side. Is this normal? Only worried as it has not always been this way.

He has a healthy appetite and loves crix and salad and otherwise appears to be quite a happy chappy. He's 6 months old.

Any advice much appreciated!

Lennifer

Juvie Member
What kind of diet is he on? Sometimes if they are well hydrated, the poo can look like this but it can aslo be a sign of parasites. I would take a poo sample in to the vet just to be on the safe side.

~Sandy

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Have you changed his diet in anyway? If it smells really bad, I would agree with Sandy and take a fecal to the vet.

reesnikki16

Original Poster
we took a fecal to the vet a few weeks ago and it came back clear. he eats crickets, spring greens, carrot tops, kale, occasionally sweet potato and squash.
it does smell a bit but he seems to only be able to go in the bath. we got him out for a run around about 15 mins ago and he clamped down with his mouth on my sleeve and started thrashing about like a mental. we've come to realise this is him being bunged up so plopped him in a warm bath but it took about 10 mins of him seeming to really struggle for it to come out. he didnt pass a huge amount but again it was a bit on the explosive side. i really feel for the poor little guy - should we be getting him to the vets?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
If the poo sample came back clear of parasites, maybe he is just well hydrated :)
When Drago poo's, he looked like he stuggles a bit because his back legs go straight while he pushes it out. Is that what u mean when u say he looks like he's struggling? It's wierd because his poo is explosive, I would think it would be easy for him to pass it. U said u feed carrot tops? Never heard of anyone feeding that. I do know that carrotts should only be fed occasionally because they are high in vitamin a & too much can be toxic for them. Beautiful Dragons. com has a great list of good & bad nutriton if your interested.

~Sandy

reesnikki16

Original Poster
Hi Sandy, thanks for reply. By his legs thrashing I really do mean they are all over the place. He bites down really hard on whatevers near by (usually my clothes) and then his rear end just goes ballistic. we got carrot tops as a suuggestion from a care sheet on another site but cant remember where from. we hardly ever give him actual carrots. his beard goes really black for the duration of his struggle and it can take up to 10 mins for him to pass the poo, and thats in a warm bath (with lots of thrashing).
Nikki

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Wow I have no idea. I know the vet can check for other issues by taking blood work. It's a bit pricey but may be worth it. If u don't mind, please answer the following questions as this may help identify what the issue may be.

How old is your Beardie?
What size enclosure does he have?
What kind of substrate are u using?
What kind of UVB light do u provide? Is it the long tube or a coil?
What is the basking spot temp?
What r u using to measure the temps with?
What does his/her diet consist of?
WHat kind of suppliements r u offering & how often?

Sry to be a pain in the butt...just trying to help :mrgreen:

~Sandy

reesnikki16

Original Poster
he's 6 months old, i believe the viv is 6x4x4, he's on newspaper at the mo, he has a long uv tube (cant remember the make), we measure the temp with an infra red thermometre but im not there right now to measure the temp of his basking spot. he has crix twice a day, one with a bit of salad (collard greens mostly but he does like kale, carrot tops, blueberries, corn, butternut squash and sweet potato). he has calcium once a day and reptivit once a week.

last we opened his viv door for him, he flew out and chimped down on my trouser leg and started thrashing and got all black-beardy. it went on for a while so we put him in the bath in caes he was constiptated again. he went at it for ages and then all he did was a wee and a REALLY big fart. do beardies suffer badly from trapped wind at all?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Honestly, I have never heard any stories like this as far as thrashing and having a hard time pooing, unless it was related to impaction (which is not your case, as he's going regularly) or parasites (which have already been ruled out by the vet, if I remember correctly?) I have never heard of a beardie farting but that's not to say that it isn't possoble! lol! Everything sounds perfect except for that we still don't know the make/brand of your UVB light. Please go home & check & let me know as this can be a major issue. I am glad to hear it is the long tube UVB as the coils are really dangerous for them. I am hoping u have the ReptiSun 10 or The ReptiGlo 8. Those are the best recomended UVB that have no claims of having any issues thus far. Also glad to hear thjat u are using a temp gun for the temps & not a srick on! Those are junk! lol! Please check the basking spot as well when u can. It's just really starnge that he is chomping down on you when he is trying to go. I am just wondering if maybe the basking spot isn't warm enough for him to digest his food completely & that's why he has trouble pushing it out. But then again, u said it is explosive so idk. Please get back to me about the lighting & basking temp. Can u provide a pic of the enclosure as well? Thanks :)

~Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom