Ponazuril

Status
Not open for further replies.

KariE

Our beardie had a bout of coccidia recently and just finished his second dose of Ponazuril. He seems to be more lethargic than normal and isn’t eating much even when hand fed. We gave him a bath today to keep him hydrated since he’s not eating a lot. He didn’t poop yesterday but did poop in his bath today. He was also falling asleep on his tree under his UVB today (he never sleeps during the day) and his eyes are at half mast a lot of the last few days. But he is alert when we walk in the room and does move around his enclosure. Anyone have any experience with this? Are these side effects normal? In two weeks he is supposed to get his last two doses (a day apart). I am just worried. Also, I have heard of giving probiotics? Would they upset him more? And if not and he should have them, what brand? Where is the best most reputable place to buy it from? Thanks for any advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Meds definitely can affect them. However, the ponazuril is pretty mild so it shouldn't be affecting
him too terribly bad.
Be sure you are keeping him around 80 overnight in his tank to help keep his immune system up
while he is on meds.
Probiotics can definitely help if he has an upset tummy though.
Is he not eating much right now, has he had a black beard at all?

I hope he feels better soon.
Tracie

KariE

Original Poster
He hasn’t been eating great per say. He will eat butternut squash and maybe a few pieces of collard greens but only if I feed them to him by hand. He ate a few pieces of squash off his log that I set there yesterday tho. But no go on eating out of his bowl which was never a problem before (he’s a piggy). I cut out the roaches for a few days when he first took the meds, wasn’t sure if they would be harsh on his stomach or not. I began feeding the roaches again yesterday with no problems other than that he would only eat them when I would hand feed one by one on a spoon while he was in his tree. Not sure if he’s just being spoiled or what lol. He also seems to be tired a lot. Like eyes shutting and falling asleep in the middle of the day, which he never used to do until after these meds. I feel like a probiotic would be good. I will get some from Tracie’s site (hoping I can get fast shipping).

Second, his next dose isn’t supposed to be given for 2 weeks...that seems like a very long time. Which makes me uncomfortable. Any idea as to why the huge gap in meds? And wouldn’t that make for his condition to worsen or the parasites increase since the meds are stopped for so long? Doses are 100mg per seringe of Ponazuril. Also, yesterday after I gave him his beetles, a few hours later I put him in a bath as he hasn’t been pooping regularly. He pooped in his bath like he always does lol And the poop smelled strong again. Like when I first noticed something might be wrong and then found out he had coccidia. The first couple of days after and during the meds he did poop but it barely had a smell. Not sure if all that is due to him only having veg at first and then after the roaches the poop smell changed? Any thoughts appreciated.

KariE

Original Poster
Also, can anyone tell me about the dosage I was prescribed? It’s 4 seringes total, each w 100mg of Ponazuril. I was told to give one seringe, skip a day, give the second seringe and then WAIT 2 WEEKS, then give him the third seringe, skip a day, and then the last and fourth seringe. The vet said he gave the “juvenile” dosing for the Ponazuril. But he also told me that our beardies coccidia count was very high. I am concerned. I feel as though waiting for 2 weeks is too long. Like he’s not getting the proper medication regiment. I even called and spoke w the vet again today and he just told me the same thing. He also told me to clean w Clorox...so I’m not sure if he knows what he’s talking about. Please help!

Poopdog

How did this go Karie? I just gave my 7mo old his first dose of the stuff tonight for coccidia and am always interested to hear other beardie owners experiences with side effects on meds. Elliot did horribly on panacur a couple weeks ago for pinworms and it was so hard on him that it spiked the coccidia count so now we're around to that!

To try to answer your question, the two week wait is to go back and kill any new bacteria that may have formed in the interim. To wipe out the stragglers so to speak. This is protocol with worm meds too in order to get any leftover eggs. It gives the kid a rest between doses as well.

Def trust your vet's prescription if they are a reputable herp vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom