Polyacrylamide vs acrylate, detrimental affects to beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Okay, so I was reading some information online today on faunaclassifieds saying that polyacrylamide water crystals are safe for feeders to eat but polyacrylate crystals can be severely detrimental if not life threatening to herps who ingest the insects that these were fed to. This is due to the fact that it causes a break down of molecules into ammonia salts, carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Does anybody know any information about this? I have no idea what type of water crystals mine are but I immediately emailed the company because I am worried!

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
I think someone might have got confused. I've been looking all evening for information about this and here's what I've been able to find.

According to Wiki, polyacrylamide itself is nontoxic but if it breaks down it can be reduced back to acrylamide which is a known neurotoxin. Because polyacrylamide is formed by using acrylamide subunits, there are trace amounts of acrylamide found in it. There is caution to be had when handling it but generally the traces are very small. Now, looking at what acrylamide does:

Wiki says:
"Acrylamide decomposes in the presence of acids, bases, oxidizing agents, iron, and iron salts. It decomposes non-thermally to form ammonia, and thermal decomposition produces carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and oxides of nitrogen."

The person who initially posted over at Fauna I think is confused between polyacrylamide and acrylate. Acrylate polymer isn't marketed for animal consumption because it's essentially plastic.

Anyway, it also appears that cross-linked versions of polyacrylamide are more resistant to degradation as well.

I saw on one pet website that Anionic Polyacrylamide is safe for insects to consume but I don't see where they are getting that information from. Would be nice if they listed a credible source that did a study specifically for insects.

I hope this clarifies things. I had to read this stuff near a dozen times before my head wrapped around any of it. lol

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
That's the website I linked too as well. It would be nice if they had some form of documentation to support what they claim because the wiki article is contradicting parts of their information. They might have good intentions warning pet owners, but at the same time I get the vibe of "ZOMG danger danger danger don't buy that stuff its danger! Buy OUR stuff! It's safe!" That might not be their intent, but it passes off as fear mongering and using large words to confuse readers.

I'm curious at what degree of tempurature needed to degenerate polyacrylimide back into acrylamide state though. My guess would be it would need to be very high to break it down. Let me see if I can't get an answer somewhere later today. Right now, its too early for science. :p My brain needs coffee.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I could ask some of my bio professors, we work with polyacrylamide in the lab as a type of gel for doing electrophoresis. It is a crosslinking polymer but that's about all I know about it. I've never worked with polyacrylate gel - I assume it could go either way with polymers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom