Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im just wondering if any one can help. I have just bought a BD and at the min have nothing in the Viv so I can feed him without his food hiding, but I think the Viv is to big for feeding because he doesn’t seem to be eating a lot although he seems lively and healthy. I am going to buy a 20 gallon tank to feed him in, what I would like to know is do I need a heat lamp in there? How long should I leave him to eat? How many crickets each sitting and how many times a day? Up until now he has just been grazing throughout the day. Also if i need a lamp do i turn it of when the feeding tank is warm to stop him just basking?

Please help, Many thank
Gerry

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
People around here usually have the same round of questions, but without those in hand. If the baby is less than 9 inches a 20 gallon viv is best. You are correct with the no furniture, no hides, etc. The idea is to create a basking spot 110-115 degrees with a cool end in the low 80s. If the dragon is eating, active, and pooping I wouldn't sweat the larger enclosure. As long as you aren't flooding it with crix it should be fine.
Feeding in a plastic container can be fine also. Don't get caught up in some of the crazy cricket counts some dragons have because they all have different appetites.

If you have the proper basking temp, UVB light, a cool end of the tank and the dragon is hydrated, it will eat and be merry. If it is lethargic, skinny, and hiding then maybe you have more than an enclosure problem.

Jeff

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
oh.. and leave the basking light on and let the dragon move away to cool down, and return when he wants warmth.

Jeff

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
If I'm reading what you wrote right - are you only using the 20 gallon for feeding? If so it doesn't need a light. Put him in it with the crickets and then let him eat for about 15 minutes then take him out and put him back in his big tank.

I have done that with a 5 gallon tank. I house my crickets in there. Plop the beardie in there for feeding.. he stands in one corner and lets the crickets come to him and eats then I take him out when it looks like he's done eating.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I used a 10g rubbermaid to feed my little guy when he was small so he could actually find the food and wanted to get it. One thing I noticed with him tho, was that he refused to eat anything if I put more than about 5 feeders in there at once - I had to stand and keep dropping them in for the 10 mins he was in there!! I still have to do this for him - even now in his big viv!! Hes a bit of a spoilt brat lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom