Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

findingfallon

Original Poster
I had recently gotten my son a bearded dragon on the 23rd of November. I am not sure if I'm doing everything I need to be. We have a 55 gallon set up with a dimming 150 watt basking/uva light bulb and a zilla slim line t8 light that is hung inside the vivarium above the basking spot. The dragon has not eaten much since we bought it home. It won't take crickets at all now but will eat dubia roaches, butter worms and mealworms. The dragon has shed only one hind leg since being here. It has been having a bowel movement usually daily once he's in a warm bath. It does look like it's growing. The front left foot is swollen which I didn't realize could be a bad thing and we had brought the dragon home like that. I've also been syringe giving water and soaking daily. I have a multivitamin and calcium dust as well as electrolytes to bath in 3 times a week. I have been in the vet tech business for 20 years but never worked with reptiles. If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Grogu seems to be doing better! I'm sure that the new UVB light is definitely helping him out. I would
definitely keep an eye on his leg & the other areas that are a bit swollen, to make sure that the swelling doesn't get any
worse. It could be gout developing, it does seem to be a pretty common health ailment right now in reptiles.
If he seems to be favoring his leg, try to make it a little easier on him when climbing to bask. Perhaps you could lower the
UVB & basking area so he doesn't have to struggle too much right now.
If he isn't eating enough or any vegetation & fluids, a greens slurry daily or every other day would perfectly fine for him.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok will do. My best friend works for a reptile small animal veterinarian. I'll try to get in with him asap. I figured that with petco. I'll get s hold of her in the am to try to get me in with him asap. She said he's normally booked up for weeks in advance so I'll see what we can get done.
To test for gout they will need to do blood work and test levels of uric acid -- they can put him on a medication called Allopurinol to keep levels down - if he does have gout he should not be fed dubias --your gonna haft to feed him a different staple feeder like BSFL silk worms and possibly crickets I think they have a lower protein level -- I am hoping its a sprain can you post another pic of the leg -- is the leg tender to touch gout is very painful

I had recently gotten my son a bearded dragon on the 23rd of November. I am not sure if I'm doing everything I need to be. We have a 55 gallon set up with a dimming 150 watt basking/uva light bulb and a zilla slim line t8 light that is hung inside the vivarium above the basking spot. The dragon has not eaten much since we bought it home. It won't take crickets at all now but will eat dubia roaches, butter worms and mealworms. The dragon has shed only one hind leg since being here. It has been having a bowel movement usually daily once he's in a warm bath. It does look like it's growing. The front left foot is swollen which I didn't realize could be a bad thing and we had brought the dragon home like that. I've also been syringe giving water and soaking daily. I have a multivitamin and calcium dust as well as electrolytes to bath in 3 times a week. I have been in the vet tech business for 20 years but never worked with reptiles. If anyone can please help me it would be greatly appreciated.
You have a good sized tank, your gonna have to check with someone else about the lighting. If your Bearded Dragon is not eating the veggies you have provided, keep trying different veggies and you'll find out witch ones it will eat. If you can see a vet about the foot swelling, they might be able to give it some medicine to stop the swelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom