Please help, she's not moving her legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomerang

Original Poster
AHBD":fy8wnknv said:
What exactly is in the slurry she gets right now and exactly how much does she get ? Just keep up with those for now, but add a few different things. Get a heating pad to set her on, cover with an old towel that you can throw out, set her on there with the heat pad on so it's very warm but can't burn her. That may do the trick.

If you do offer solid or live food, make it small and soft at first for sure.

It really depends, but most days she gets either the critical care fibre mixed with water and some oil, unsweetened apple sauce or butternut squash / pumpkin baby food mixed with water and some oil. She gets roughly 70% of a shot glass via a syringe (I know it is a weird measurement, but it is easier to get it in the syringe when it is in the shot glass). She has not been getting any source of protein besides trace proteins in the vegetables.

I will try the heat pad tomorrow! I will give her a bath and then put her on the heat pad with hopes that it will do the trick!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NO SOLIDS IN ==> NO SOLIDS OUT , all the calories and amino acids and vits are converted to energy or lizard.
I'm surprised the vet didn't explain that she mightn't poo whole on the critical care slurry once he'd purged her entire GIT.

I'm wondering if she'll cope OK if you get her some small (1inch) and medium (1.5-2inch) sized silkworms and fed them fresh mulberry leaves (lots of fibre in the leaves) and the worms seem to help my skinks and dragons go more regularly (in my case the silks are either fed on nuked chow or fresh mulberry leaves depending leaves availability).
Silkworms are also very nutritious and very soft and also have good water content. Most lizards love the silkworms and they are Ok to leave on a couple of mulberry leaves or a bit of nuked chow in the viv for the lizard to eat at it's leisure , wont crawl away and hide or bite the sleeping lizard.

Another good option for her might be large BSF maggots (aka calci-gents/calciworms/phoenix worms), again very soft and slow moving.

Probably worth calling the vet on the phone and asking about introducing some solids (grated veg) and worms such as silkworm and BSF maggots and weening her off the critical care.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
doomerang":phrh4zt8 said:
AHBD":phrh4zt8 said:
What exactly is in the slurry she gets right now and exactly how much does she get ? Just keep up with those for now, but add a few different things. Get a heating pad to set her on, cover with an old towel that you can throw out, set her on there with the heat pad on so it's very warm but can't burn her. That may do the trick.

If you do offer solid or live food, make it small and soft at first for sure.

It really depends, but most days she gets either the critical care fibre mixed with water and some oil, unsweetened apple sauce or butternut squash / pumpkin baby food mixed with water and some oil. She gets roughly 70% of a shot glass via a syringe (I know it is a weird measurement, but it is easier to get it in the syringe when it is in the shot glass). She has not been getting any source of protein besides trace proteins in the vegetables.

I will try the heat pad tomorrow! I will give her a bath and then put her on the heat pad with hopes that it will do the trick!

This is my system for using a heatpad SAFELY in a viv : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976 , you get more control over the heat it creates, the tiles even out the temperature and help hold the heat and prevent direct contact with heat pad, the thermostat prevent the heatpad from overheating (similar has the power cut if the temperature goes above the setpoint temperature (I set this at 36-37 degC for my beardies).
Could wrap the hole thing in a t-towel too as suggested.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, still hasn't gone to the bathroom?
I would continue to feed a soft diet, but slowly introduce some soft bodied insects/worms.
That may help out with getting things moving through her.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight also, to help her system metabolize foods &
fluids more efficiently?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actually a beardie on a " liquid " diet can still produce b.m.'s but they're just soft. Many beardies on here do just that, they eat the special diet and it comes out looking like what went in.

audreyjb

Poor thing doesn't look too good :( I'm a first time beardie owner myself, but for a long time i was worried about my beardie having a URI (upper respiratory infection). wheezing and popping sounds are all symptoms, including lack of mobility and fatigue. could you maybe take her to the vet and look more at her lungs and all that than her bones? maybe they'll find something that way. also everyone has told me to just velcro the UVB under the top of the tank if it's a t8 :) then she's getting everything to reverse / prevent mbd if she has it. do you use a calcium supplement?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
audreyjb":3sjtzsqz said:
Poor thing doesn't look too good :( I'm a first time beardie owner myself, but for a long time i was worried about my beardie having a URI (upper respiratory infection). wheezing and popping sounds are all symptoms, including lack of mobility and fatigue. could you maybe take her to the vet and look more at her lungs and all that than her bones? maybe they'll find something that way. also everyone has told me to just velcro the UVB under the top of the tank if it's a t8 :) then she's getting everything to reverse / prevent mbd if she has it. do you use a calcium supplement?

I think a good vet will pick up if a reptile has a URI pretty easily when assessing it for other condition.

Re attaching a T8 or T5HO tube's reflector hood under the (mesh) lid, lots of ways to do this :
>>> Velcro (OK by not real secure)
>>> cable tyres poked through the mesh
>>> monofilament fishing line poked through the mesh
are the easiest and quickest and the hood remains removable .

doomerang

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2qhx1x8z said:
NO SOLIDS IN ==> NO SOLIDS OUT , all the calories and amino acids and vits are converted to energy or lizard.
I'm surprised the vet didn't explain that she mightn't poo whole on the critical care slurry once he'd purged her entire GIT.

I'm wondering if she'll cope OK if you get her some small (1inch) and medium (1.5-2inch) sized silkworms and fed them fresh mulberry leaves (lots of fibre in the leaves) and the worms seem to help my skinks and dragons go more regularly (in my case the silks are either fed on nuked chow or fresh mulberry leaves depending leaves availability).
Silkworms are also very nutritious and very soft and also have good water content. Most lizards love the silkworms and they are Ok to leave on a couple of mulberry leaves or a bit of nuked chow in the viv for the lizard to eat at it's leisure , wont crawl away and hide or bite the sleeping lizard.

Another good option for her might be large BSF maggots (aka calci-gents/calciworms/phoenix worms), again very soft and slow moving.

Probably worth calling the vet on the phone and asking about introducing some solids (grated veg) and worms such as silkworm and BSF maggots and weening her off the critical care.

Hey there! I appreciate your feedback and help!

I could definitely try reintroducing some live feed, and I could get some silk worms or phenix worms (although rarely available in Canada) today and see if she will chow.

I agree that the vet should be able to help her, however she said that if Peach doesn't go for three weeks to do another enema and everyone here has been advising against it, so I am not sure who to go with. I would prefer to avoid the enema as it is invasive and Peach cannot rely on enema's on a monthly basis to function.

doomerang

Original Poster
Drache613":18spe2ig said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing, still hasn't gone to the bathroom?
I would continue to feed a soft diet, but slowly introduce some soft bodied insects/worms.
That may help out with getting things moving through her.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight also, to help her system metabolize foods &
fluids more efficiently?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

No, unfortunately not :(

I will try to reintroduce some of the silk worms later today before giving her a bath. When it comes to keeping her warmer, I will look at my options. I have a heat pad that warms up in the microwave so i will set her on one today for a few hours during the day to stimulate a BM.

She is lethargic, moves a little more now.

doomerang

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1xu9siri said:
audreyjb":1xu9siri said:

I think a good vet will pick up if a reptile has a URI pretty easily when assessing it for other condition.

Re attaching a T8 or T5HO tube's reflector hood under the (mesh) lid, lots of ways to do this :
>>> Velcro (OK by not real secure)
>>> cable tyres poked through the mesh
>>> monofilament fishing line poked through the mesh
are the easiest and quickest and the hood remains removable .

I doubt that she has a URI, no symptoms anymore really.

doomerang

Original Poster
Just to provide you with complete information, she is (aside from her diet) getting 0.04mL of Calcium Glubionate every 2 days to help her with the Calcium levels. I considered increasing this but I do not want to cause a hypercalcemia.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
doomerang":fhtn5u2m said:
Just to provide you with complete information, she is (aside from her diet) getting 0.04mL of Calcium Glubionate every 2 days to help her with the Calcium levels. I considered increasing this but I do not want to cause a hypercalcemia.

If that complies with the instructions for dosing a lizard with her bodyweight for the liquid calcium product you have , I'd stick with it.

doomerang

Original Poster
Okay sounds good!

I called my local reptile / pet stores and none of them had silk worms. They told me that there has been a problem in the supply chain with some virus killing off the bugs so they will not be available for a little while. I instead purchased small horn worms. Do you think those are fine? They seem pretty soft bodied so they should do the trick

doomerang

Original Poster
AHBD":o3i02dzo said:
Hornworms are good, very soft + full of hydration.

So I attempted to give it to her but she showed very little interest, and only stared at it but made no effort to eat it. She used to LOVE her live feed and would chase them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom