Please help!!!!! RIP dear one

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:cry: Spike won't touch the pinheads or phoenix worms! I was optimistic at first because he seemed to take an interest and was watching them but then he just kept trying to get out of the rubbermaid container. I also tried him in the pyrex but he just wouldn't eat.

I'm really sad over this n worried to death. What do I do next? I feel very disheartened. :(

crickest

Juvie Member
Remember to breathe. Try the things I just talked to you about and be patient. Sometimes it takes as long to recover from what was bothering him as it took to get sick in the first place. You did say his colors are looking better, he's basking longer under the light, and that he is eating better. Some beardies really like the baby food, so give him a couple more days before panicking about the crickets.

You can call me any time.

Karen and crew

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
also, instead of putting him in a separate container, put either the worms or crickets in a deep see thru bowl so he can see they are there (but they cant climb out of) and leave them in the cage. My daughters lizard, Hermes (just ask Drache613) prefers either hand/force feed or to be left alone. He will eat his salad ONLY if we are NOT LOOKING!

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. So I've calmed myself down. I just get so worked up thinking something bad is going to happen to Spike.

Crickest: U r an absolute lifesaver. I can't thank u enough for all of ur support and being so patient with me! I know I must b driving u crazy!

I did put the crickets in the glass dish and left them in his viv but he didn't show any interest. I took him out to exercise and he kept running back to me. So I picked him up and he just snuggled into the palm of my hand! I draped his little fleece over him n he slept like that for over an hour-until I couldn't keep my arm in that position anymore. Like I wasn't already head over heels in luv with this little cutie! I feel like the Grinch n my heart grew three sizes! He looked just so darn sweet!

He really is my little 6g wonder. Oh, btw, I went out to by a digital food scale today to weigh Spike n the first one I brought home was missing the scale! So my hubby exchanged it n the second one didn't work! Can u believe it? I'll have to take it back tomorrow.

I will keep trying with the live prey and keep hand feeding him in the meantime. Crickest convinced me to calm down and give him some time to recover. I'll do my best to b patient n not drive myself crazy with fear.

Thank u.
Jane

crickest

Juvie Member
Jane - like I said on the phone. . . I am here and you can't drive me crazy talking about beardies. I too am worried about Spike and am here to support you while he goes through rehabilitation. Call me any time.

Karen and crew

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awwwww-little cutie, to sleep on your hand like that. He really is a wonder! We're here to support you Jane, I just wish I had an answer as to why he didn't want either crickets or phoenix worms. You'll just need to be patient, but please keep up the critical care & babyfood in the meantime. At least he's eating and once you get that scale you can see if he's gained any weight. He looks heavier in the last pic and has such a cute belly, just kissable. I'm so glad he's snuggling with you, that just goes to show he does appreciate all your work with him. Keep us posted!

Hugs from Deb and my mostly awake dragons

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9: Thx for all of ur help. U guys have been amazing. I'm sure u guys understand how hard it is when family n friends don't get how much we luv our beardies. My sis made me SO mad be/c since's Spike's not a dog, she doesn't want to hear it. God led me to bd.org, otherwise who knows what would have happened to Spike. I am so appreciative to have people to chat with who feel the same way.

Also, I ordered a better digital scale tonight and it will b here Friday. I'd be an ***** to get another from the store! Also, with Spike being so little, there aren't too many precise scales. Most weigh in 2g increments n that's a big difference for Spike-aducci!

Tomorrow I will follow crickest/munchkins9802's recommendation n leave the glass dish in Spike's viv n see if he shows interest in the feeders.

XOXOXOXO
Jane

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
spikerocks":b0ddb said:
I'm sure u guys understand how hard it is when family n friends don't get how much we luv our beardies.
Do I ever... my mom swears that I am completely nuts for having reptiles, and has been quoted as stating, "Are you really my daughter?" She was joking. I think :lol:
Sorry to hear that he doesn't like the live feeders yet, at least he's taking the babyfood and critical care well enough. Good luck on getting him to take live feeders in the morning!

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
RolandKyramere":77d64 said:
by RolandKyramere on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:02 am
Do I ever... my mom swears that I am completely nuts for having reptiles, and has been quoted as stating, "Are you really my daughter?" She was joking. I think :lol:
Sorry to hear that he doesn't like the live feeders yet, at least he's taking the babyfood and critical care well enough. Good luck on getting him to take live feeders in the morning!

Funny thing is, my mom likes animals enough but she's not too affectionate. However, Spike has won her over. She talks to him and pets him. She loves to see him when he's out running around for exercise. My sis is another story. She just rolls her eyes at me ( :roll: ) n says Spike is all I ever talk about anymore. Oh well. She better get used to it!

Spike is warmimg up after his bath so I will try him with the feeders in about an hour. He drank lots of water today without me having to place drops on his snout! I'll keep u guys posted but now I know not to freak out if he doesn't eat them today. Slow n steady wins the race, rite? I m grateful for his baby steps in the rite direction.

Hugs,
Jane n Spike

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad Spike is getting better slowly, and hope he gets used to crickets and phoenix worms, they're so good for him.

I know what you mean about family not understanding, as we have 5 beardies, 1 golden gecko and a beta fish. So there are 5 tanks in our living room, 1 tank in the dining room and 1 tank in the 2nd bedroom. Makes for a crowded 2 bedroom apartment. We rarely get visitors, I go out to visit the family. My mom and dad have come over once. Dad's ok with reptiles, but Mom almost freaked out. As long as they were in their tanks, she was ok, but the visit wasn't very long. :roll: :lol:

I'm praying too that Spike gets the drift that crickets and worms are good food, too.

Talke care, let us know how today goes,
Deb

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, so I put the glass pyrex in the viv with Spike n went about my business. After about 45 minutes, I went in to check n Spike was in the dish with the crickets! I really couldn't tell if he ate any be/c they r so small n fast, I couldn't count them. I tried but I almost went cross-eyed trying! But the fact that he was interested is a GREAT sign :D He hasn't yet eaten the phoenix worms.

So after dinner I put Spike in the pyrex dish n he ate 2 crickets!!!!!! WOO HOO! YAY SPIKE! :blob8: After he stopped eating, he got some exercise n then crashed in the crook of my arm. He is just so sweet, I can't stand it! He slept on my arm for two hours n then I put him to bed :( I wish I could hold him all nite.

I know he's a peanut but today my daughter n I were at the store n she picked up a medium size bag of chips. When I looked at it, it said 67.2g. That's 10x what Spike weighs! Is that crazy????

Here r some pics from today. The one of him sleeping didn't come out so good but it does show how tiny he really is!
spikesleeping-1.jpg

1264126882.jpg

1264098458.jpg

I am SO happy he ate crickets today!!! We never would have gotten here with out all of u. Thanks for sharing ur experience n wisdom with my little mini beardie, Spike! Spike is still eating a good amount of baby food n critical care too. Our scale will b here in the morning. I can't wait to weigh my little 6g wonder!

Hugs n Kisses,
Jane n Spike

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He's grown! He looks great, not so skinny and love his tummy. You're doing so well with him, I bet by the end of next week you won't be able to keep up with his eating. YEAH SPIKE, you go little guy!!!!

Keep feeding him the babyfood after offering live food and keep up with the critical care, it's a great product, so I've been told, & will only help him.

I'm just so pleased, got a big smile on my face!

Keep us posted Jane, great job!

Deb and my dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom