Please help!!!!! RIP dear one

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all Jane should be on later with an update. Spike is about the same weighed in at 4 grams. She is actually upset with her Vet as their appt was SPECIFICALLY to teach her how to do the fluids and when she gets there she is told they arent comfortable with her doing it after all for how tiny he is.
He had a burst of energy for her son last night and seems to tire easily but other than that the same as yesterday. She cant wait for our snow storm to arrive so she can show him through the window what snow looks like

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone. So, I m a little annoyed be/c after dragging Spike out in the cold (2 hours round trip) for them to decide they don't want to teach me the fluid injections. I understand the fear that I might puncture something be/c he's so small n has no fat but really? They could have let me know beforehand. Anyway, they r very pleased w/little peanut's progress. Spike weighed in at 4g which is good. I firmly believe he lost more weight last weekend n gained some back this week. We r going to continue everything the same while attempting to increase his caloric intake. He will call again Monday. I m going to run to the mall n buy some hand warmers just in case we lose power in the snowstorm tonite. Thanks for all ur support!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

Great to hear little Spike is holding his own right now, that is so wonderful! Does he still need the fluid injections right now & how often does the vet want to do them for? Really, you should be capable of doing it but at least he is concerned for him though.
He was happy with his progress? Did you tell him that you took him off of the Baytril also?
So did the snowstorm get there?

Tracie

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So we were hit really hard with the snow n lost power for most of the day. Thank God we have a fireplace! Spike is doing the same. Still not eating independently but seems to be filling out somewhat. He doesn't look as skinny. Spike still has stress marks most of the time. I'm not sure if it's be/c he wants to be held all the time or what. I haven't changed anything else. Still has small bursts of energy n then sleeps soundly.

Tracie: I told the vet I'm not sure when he'll need the fluid injections be/c he's drinking on his own rite now. We will discuss it further tomorrow.

Spike liked looking out the windows yesterday at all the snow. My lab tried to pick him up yesterday when he was running around on the floor! Thank God I was rite there to stop her! Time to feed Spike n then soak up some sun at the window. Then out to shovel more snow, yuck! It's times like these that I hate having such a long driveway.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Jane sorry to hear you lost power. we have the advantage of underground wires so losing power is a little harder to do. Sorry he is having stress marks still. Do what I do, carry him a little bit while trying to do something, or just sit with him and talk and pet him for about 15-20 mins and then put him back in his cage and do this every few hrs (since you and I are home this is a LITTLE easier to do)
LOL on the dog trying to pick him up! So cute. Talk to you later. And I am with you if spike is drinking a fair amount on his own, then I dont think he needs the fluid injections so often. Did you ask Tracie about her liquid calcium?

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I m concerned today. Something doesn't seem rite. Spike is blackbearding n his coloring seems off. The areas on his head that normally look white seem gray n he is constantly on the bottom. He won't stay up on the log or branch. The area around his eyes looks gray too. Also, his head is lighter than his body, much lighter. Does this make any sense? I can't figure it out.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yay from us for shedding...yes it sounds like he's going to explode with shedding skin, good for Spike and yes they are very miserable when they start to shed. So his soaks will do him alot of good, put drops of water on his head to help loosed the shed, helps it come off faster. When he's bigger you can use a very soft toothbrush, in water, to help release some stubborn shed.

You may want to look into electrolyte drops. We put it in our dragon's drinking water, helps them get hydrated, too. We also put straight liquid calcium drops in there, too. Then if our dragons don't get calcium one day, they always get a bit in their water. I got both bottles at a pet shop. We've been doing this for 3 years, seems to help keep our dragons healthy, I feel.

I think Spike is too small to have liquid calcium, so the fact that you put his supplements into the critical care is great. At this point he can't have too much calcium in what he eats, so that's good, too. So soak him more often in the next couple of days & make sure his head gets wet, too and if he's drinking his shed should get going well. When Rubio was really little, I fed him every 20 min 5x/day, so he really started to grow. He didn't lick off much babyfood with supplements, but it did start adding on. I know you feed him often, but at this point a lick a few more times a day means more food.

Let us know how he's faring, I think he's on the way to much better health.
Deb and my family, even my son, who lives on his own, he's 26, said 'GO SPIKE, BEAT THE ODDS BUDDY".

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok, i hope u guys r rite. i'm no expert but it seems like he's uncomfortable or in pain. he's been very lethargic since late morning. i may take him to the vet tomorrow if he doesn't seem better. my sis said he fell off his log yesterday. i hope i m just being paranoid but i swear, it's almost like he looks bruised. but the rest of his color is good. he is still staying on the bottom of his viv. i'm going to let him rest n see how he is in the morning.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jane,

Please do let us know how he is doing. I hope that it is just an upcoming shed though. They do tend to become lethargic when they are getting ready to shed, because it gets aggravating to them to have dry itchy skin that needs to come off.
I hope he ate something for you today, as well. Great to hear that he is drinking on his own. Maybe you will not need anymore fluid injections now.

Tracie

crickest

Juvie Member
Hey Jane - I hope he is just getting ready to shed. Maybe you could get a good pic and post it.

I can't call - I have larengitis really bad! I can't talk on the phone or I would have called. Hopefully, my voice will be better tomorrow - call me after you see the vet.

Karen and crew

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will try a pic w/my digital camera tomorrow. The pics w/my phone just didn't show enough detail. U guys know alot more than I do n I hope ur right. I obsess n worry myself crazy sometimes. The kids school is opening late tomorrow. Will post pic as soon as I can.

Karen: Sorry to hear about ur laryngitis! I hope u feel better soon!

Can u believe we just got 22" of snow n now more is coming Wednesday! Maybe another 12"! Yuck!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What a drag, reminds me of some winters in Montreal (Quebec), but fortunately, not here anymore. I've had almost 22 years of almost snow free winters. I'm glad I moved here, even though you get more sunshine than we do.

Will be glad to see a pic of Spike to see what's going on with him. It wouldn't surprise me that he'd be even more affected by a shed, as I don't think he's ever experienced this, right. I hope I'm right, Jane, let us know how he is tomorrow. Maybe he just needs a big cuddle.

Deb

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Jane -he may have bruised himself a little when he fell of his log. Is he definitely getting the calcium supplements into him (again check with tracie on liquid one-dont know the age it starts). If he hurt his bones bruise,etc it can take up to 4 weeks for him to feel 100% again
I wish I could see a picture but it seems more like a shed. Take him out and hold him some more tomorrow maybe it will help. Or do your little play area you give him to run and see if he runs any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom